White spacing on home screen?

Kalros
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:47:19 PM

Is there a way to reduce the white spacing on the home screen? Everything is extremely spread out.

Also, what are these forums even called? If i wanted to google stuff.

Thanks!

peam
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:53:00 PM

I use https://forums.elanthia.online/unread as my homepage to increase readability. This is a setting that can be changed in your profile.

If you wanted to use google to search the functions just plug site:forums.elanthia.online into google followed by the search term. There's also a search feature up top which seems decent but I admittedly haven't used much.

I'm working on figuring out some SEO stuff to get this forum boosted to the top of google when one searches for Gemstone forum.

Flimbo
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 8:42:31 PM

@kalros said in White spacing on home screen?:

Is there a way to reduce the white spacing on the home screen? Everything is extremely spread out.

Also, what are these forums even called? If i wanted to google stuff.

Thanks!

Not until human fingers get smaller. Things get spaced out like that in modern responsive designs because your fat fingers can't hit the right links on a mobile device otherwise. It's a delicate balancing act where cell phones and tablets win most of the time.

There are some themes suggested in the theme suggestion thread that are more like oldstyle websites though, so if they get put in they should fix the issue for PCs.

Kalros
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 10:16:05 PM

@flimbo Hahahaha. That is hilarious. I didn't know there was an actual reason for that.

Kalros
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 10:16:28 PM

@peam Awesome, thanks!

allereli
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 10:25:01 PM

screens are filthy. use a stylus and also get rid of the white space :)

Flimbo
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 10:31:49 PM

Squish your browser window down to a more phone-ish size and you can see what I mean. Those are all the same rem settings for font sizes, relative to the size of the screen in css. On the smaller window, there's way less white space, but as you expand it, you'll notice that the interior of the webpage only expands to about 900 pixels width and the rest of the outer sides are white space. That's to accommodate both phones/tablets and older PCs running low resolution monitors as well as the normals, which generally run 1080 or better at this point (1920x1080 just passed 1366x768 as the most used in 2016 at around 32% share). Laptops make it screwy sometimes though with their 1280x960 resolutions and crap, so the interior max on a large device has to stay small-ish, resulting in more whitespace which sadly is unavoidable unless you want to go the oldstyle route of designing a separate mobile page at mobile.elanthia.online and using device detection, which is a pain in the ass and no longer standards compliant.

Edit: But like I said, there are some themes that are PC-centric that should make it prettier for regular monitors available.