Forum Games - Mafia?

Claudaro
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 10:01:05 PM

For an example of this in action, see the xkcd forums - http://forums.xkcd.com/viewforum.php?f=53

Basic premise for a standard newbie-ish game is there are two factions, town and mafia, town don't know whose who, and may consist of a few power roles added in to mostly vanilla players. Mafia is significantly smaller, but know who each other are. Game has a day and a night phase. Day phase players make posts and try and figure out whose mafia, and vote to lynch them, thus killing that person. During the night, mafia can talk via PMs, but town can not talk. Mafia get to pick a player to try and kill overnight. The cycle then repeats. There are near limitless variations based on number of factions, power roles, ect, but that is the bare bones of it.

If this is something that would interest you to try, I'd be willing to run a fairly simple game to introduce people to it, but only if there is sufficient interest. Post here with any thoughts, or if interested.

Maylan
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 2:51:28 PM

Sounds very intriguing. I'd be interested!

HJFudge
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 2:52:24 PM

Ive played it in person, but never over a forum. Willing to try though. How many would we need?

eric
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 4:02:37 PM

I have seen this game on another forum. I strongly encourage anyone who plays to try and remember this: it's not personal. The whole point of the game is that nobody can trust anyone. You will be falsely accused and you will falsely accuse. Good luck!

Claudaro
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 5:19:07 PM

Size can vary, but a good "minimum" would be seven people plus the person running the game. While less is doable, it just isn't as fun IMO.

Claudaro
Thursday, August 17th, 2017, 12:46:45 AM

Hmm, take it there isn't much interest in this idea then, oh well...

HJFudge
Thursday, August 17th, 2017, 12:49:20 AM

Sadness. It sounded fun

Claudaro
Thursday, August 17th, 2017, 1:00:42 AM

yeah, I'd still be interested in hosting it, but we need more than two players, haha.

Hips
Thursday, August 17th, 2017, 1:00:45 AM

I'd be interested! I've played in person a ton.

Claudaro
Thursday, August 17th, 2017, 1:01:27 AM

make that three players! If we can get four more I'd put together a somewhat simple 7 person learning game.

idlewanderlust
Thursday, August 17th, 2017, 5:55:11 AM

I guess I'll throw my hat in.

0zymandius
Thursday, August 17th, 2017, 8:55:54 AM

I've never played this before, in person or on the boards. And the example you linked to just confused me. But I'm always in for a good bit of backstabbing. Count me in, I suppose.

Maylan
Thursday, August 17th, 2017, 9:45:51 AM

I'm still interested :)

Flimbo
Thursday, August 17th, 2017, 11:04:25 AM

I'll play.

Claudaro
Thursday, August 17th, 2017, 12:39:48 PM

Lets do this...

Sign ups for if you are interested in playing. Quote the most recent post of this list, and add yourself to it if you'd like to play. This will make it more manageable. For those playing and those who may be interested, I'll be using a flavor backdrop from GS for this game, so expect some fun fluff added to it!

1. Maylan
  2. HJFudge
  3. Hips
  4. idlewanderlust
  5. Ozymandius
  6. Flimbo 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. .....

Add more if needed.

I'm also working on a guide. It's a WIP right now, feel free to watch me type while I work on it, i'll turn the chat features on so you can ping me with questions about it there as well as here. - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XeCc8JkxNi8rMqz7aZRquSC03Mw--2dSTXmqOi4ED4E/edit?usp=sharing

Estild
Thursday, August 17th, 2017, 2:43:48 PM

@claudaro said in Forum Games - Mafia?:

Lets do this...

Sign ups for if you are interested in playing. Quote the most recent post of this list, and add yourself to it if you'd like to play. This will make it more manageable. For those playing and those who may be interested, I'll be using a flavor backdrop from GS for this game, so expect some fun fluff added to it!

1. Maylan
  2. HJFudge
  3. Hips
  4. idlewanderlust
  5. Ozymandius
  6. Flimbo
  7. Estild 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. .....

Add more if needed.

I'm also working on a guide. It's a WIP right now, feel free to watch me type while I work on it, i'll turn the chat features on so you can ping me with questions about it there as well as here. - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XeCc8JkxNi8rMqz7aZRquSC03Mw--2dSTXmqOi4ED4E/edit?usp=sharing

Claudaro
Thursday, August 17th, 2017, 2:47:36 PM

1. Maylan
  2. HJFudge
  3. Hips
  4. idlewanderlust
  5. Ozymandius

1. Flimbo
    2. Estild 8. 9. 10. 11. 12.

Add more if needed.

I'm also working on a guide. It's a WIP right now. - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XeCc8JkxNi8rMqz7aZRquSC03Mw--2dSTXmqOi4ED4E/edit?usp=sharing

Any questions or points you'd like clarified, let me know. I'll leave this open for another couple days to see if anyone else wants to sign up, 7 is doable, but more is better when it comes to balancing the game out.

Claudaro
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 1:29:39 AM

Alright, I'm gonna go with these numbers, and get working on a seven player game. If any of the above are gonna back out, please let me know. I should have something worked up for tomorrow afternoon to send out roles and start the game thread.

Flimbo
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 11:30:50 AM

I read the rules. It seems fairly straightforward, and open for a lot of neat flavor things down the line once we get a bunch of people involved and understanding the concept.

Claudaro
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 11:45:17 AM

The game has started in the new game thread!

Claudaro
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 11:49:23 AM

@flimbo

This is almost as bare bones basic as it can get. Some of the games I've played in or run have been so extremely complex that it's taken many hours of time to process a game phase due to so many actions and their interactions. I find those kind of games most fun personally because they really allow a lot of creativity with roles and powers, and there is a lot of game theory that goes into the setups you create to determine if it's a fair/balanced game for all parties to have a chance to win.