Help an "old noob" learn and understand Reim?

Erek
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 2:37:56 PM

Ok this Reim thing is totally new to me as a returning player, but I find the concept interesting. So much so, I dragged Elysia into a run after having read Whirlin's "How to Reim" as well as whatever other info I could find, but the results weren't pretty. Essentially here's a paraphrased transcript:

• "Oh hey, a commoner..."
  • "Woah.. here come some more... "
  • "Ow! Holy crap how did that guy knock me over?"
  • "Uh.. now there are like 10 of them!?"
  • "Ow... OW! CRAP! That guy just head-butted me! TWICE!"
  • (runs a few rooms east)
  • (runs back, realizing he'd left Elysia prone, stunned, and in roundtime)
  • (drag Elysia, E, E)
  • "Ok, let's see...."
  • "Aww hell, here come more..."
  • "Uh.. I can't fire my bow cuz headwound...."
  • "How do we get OUUUUT of here??"
  • (E,E,E go voidportalthingie)
  • "WTF!??" (Elysia yelling that to me...)

So yeah.. that happened. We left our 2hr timer at 1:50 remaining and didn't go back. And here I thought we'd do fine as a Ranger/Bard combo (we are both 60). Is there any other source of information I could look up? Creature lists that might include attack type? Strategies per class? If the advice is, "Just forget about it til you're 80+" I am totally down with that too. :)

Ragz
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 2:51:39 PM

@erek it sounds like you may have just had some bad luck. If you suddenly realized there were 10 creatures in the room you probably experienced an "invasion" - those will happen once every couple hours and will spawn several creatures per person. Normal waves are every ~45 sec and will spawn 0-1 per person.

Sometimes you'll get maneuvers thrown at you when the normal creatures spawn, but you will frequently get maneuvers thrown at you when a rare is spawned. If they disable you there's no shame in retreating to the vortex and getting healing before jumping back in.

Again, it sounds like probably just lucked out with an invasion right close to when you entered. Try again! :)

Good luck

Monday, August 14th, 2017, 2:52:04 PM

They're non-corporeal bandits, basically. Commoner versus whatnot means absolutely nothing except their nouns. If you're not capped, you should have all outside spells.

Erek
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 3:06:34 PM

Wow, ok so yeah there were definitely more than 2 of them (there were 2 of us), and they were definitely giving us some major voln-fu action. (Bonus if you recognize that term.)

Luxelle
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 4:03:15 PM

I'd write a Reim Primer ... but yeah, I have been like 6 times. :(

I am forever wishing I could find a group to go with.

Mogonis
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 4:24:30 PM

Once you cap, there's a group!

Luxelle
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 4:47:43 PM

@mogonis said in Help an "old noob" learn and understand Reim?:

Once you cap, there's a group!

Next year! I hope.

Roblar
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 4:53:16 PM

@erek said in Help an "old noob" learn and understand Reim?:

Wow, ok so yeah there were definitely more than 2 of them (there were 2 of us), and they were definitely giving us some major voln-fu action. (Bonus if you recognize that term.)

@erek alt text

Flimbo
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 5:27:13 PM

Whirlin wrote a nice guide to Reim that's extremely helpful:

https://gswiki.play.net/GuidesByWhirlin:Howto_Reim

But it fails to warn you about one thing:

If Ordim tells you to sit in the bondage chair, do not sit in the bondage chair.

0zymandius
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 7:25:06 PM

@flimbo said in Help an "old noob" learn and understand Reim?:

Whirlin wrote a nice guide to Reim that's extremely helpful:

https://gswiki.play.net/GuidesByWhirlin:Howto_Reim

But it fails to warn you about one thing:

If Ordim tells you to sit in the bondage chair, do not sit in the bondage chair.

Never sit in the bondage chair. Been there, done that.

Lochiven
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 5:54:44 PM

A few things that might have contributed to your chaos: Reim isn't instanced for each group. If there were other people in your level range running reim then that could be why you such a large spawn. I've found that solo reim is fairly boring where as a duo has enough action to keep it interesting yet still allowing you to explore and read the room descriptions.

Beyond that always carry rosemarrow potion as headbutt is to be expected often. You'll catch on quickly which profession goes by which name though in each region of the map you'll have to re-learn it.

Whichever one of you is the bard really will make the run a success. Incant 1002 Vibe chant at everything and then pick off the creatures at your leisure.

@Luxelle, how many trainings for your bard now?

Khariz
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 11:22:11 PM

@lochiven I'm not sure what you meant by this, but spawns are based on the number of people standing in the single room when the spawn wave hits, not everyone in the instance.

Erek
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 5:51:52 AM

I am not sure if I am more confused, or I totally get it now, which makes me just a little bit nervous. :)

In all seriousness though, thanks for the replies. I actually didn't know that the instancing was tied to level range (i.e. I thought it was tied to the group). Is this 1 instance for all of the Reim ranges, such as 1-30, then 31-60, etc. or is it a tighter level difference?

Ordim
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 8:24:12 AM

@erek said in Help an "old noob" learn and understand Reim?:

I am not sure if I am more confused, or I totally get it now, which makes me just a little bit nervous. :)

In all seriousness though, thanks for the replies. I actually didn't know that the instancing was tied to level range (i.e. I thought it was tied to the group). Is this 1 instance for all of the Reim ranges, such as 1-30, then 31-60, etc. or is it a tighter level difference?

1-30, 31-60, 61-90, 91+

Four copies of the hunting grounds, if you fall into that level range, or use the REIM LEVEL option to move up, you will enter that copy of the dungeon with all other participants that match that level range.

Luxelle
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 2:00:49 PM

1-30, 31-60, 61-90, 91+

The level ranges always confused me, too, why would I take my level 62 bardess to hunt where there were level 90 critters? That's a laughable situation in GS normally. Which was one reason I have hardly done any trips to Reim at all.

But I think I have come to understand that people group in tighter ranges and the auto-critter-leveler-thing would usually keep the foes more or less up to the highest level in your group.

I think. I mean, Mister @Ordim always specifies a group range much smaller than 61-90. A couple others have, too.

By the way, Mister Ordim, have I dallied enough lately that you guys caught up to me yet? :)

Ponclast
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 2:01:05 PM

Is it correct to say that one of the best things about Reim is that it fully plugs the "undead gap" for Volners?

Also, any tips on the final boss pair? I almost got there last night but timed out. Any point taking them on solo or would it just be a roflstomp? I assume the caster should be taken out first?

Flimbo
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 2:12:19 PM

@ponclast said in Help an "old noob" learn and understand Reim?:

Is it correct to say that one of the best things about Reim is that it fully plugs the "undead gap" for Volners?

Also, any tips on the final boss pair? I almost got there last night but timed out. Any point taking them on solo or would it just be a roflstomp? I assume the caster should be taken out first?

Gap nothin'. You run Reim with a good group once a day for a month, you're uncountable for life. I haven't killed an undead in 30 levels and I'm still uncountable.

Ordim
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 3:16:11 PM

@luxelle said in Help an "old noob" learn and understand Reim?:

1-30, 31-60, 61-90, 91+

The level ranges always confused me, too, why would I take my level 62 bardess to hunt where there were level 90 critters? That's a laughable situation in GS normally. Which was one reason I have hardly done any trips to Reim at all.

But I think I have come to understand that people group in tighter ranges and the auto-critter-leveler-thing would usually keep the foes more or less up to the highest level in your group.

I think. I mean, Mister @Ordim always specifies a group range much smaller than 61-90. A couple others have, too.

By the way, Mister Ordim, have I dallied enough lately that you guys caught up to me yet? :)

individual ghosts spawn at a level range for the person they spawn for. For example: Let's say you have a level 35, a 40, and a 46 in a group in Reim. Three ghosts spawn, part of the spawn says "and rushes at" or something similar, that indicates who caused what to spawn. The ghost will be within ~3 levels of the person it spawned for. So with this group, there is a very good chance that the level 35 will spawn ghosts that don't count for credit (over 10 levels under the 46) for script or credit for rares. But otherwise, that's the only level ranges of ghosts, they won't get any level 60's unless a level 60 is in there and moving around with them. Ghosts spawned by others have a very low chance of attacking if not attacked first, to prevent left overs from higher level groups hurting other people of lower level.

I'm not sure if I will run another group, I'm level 80 which would put my group range around 75-85 give or take, depending, but the interest level has dropped to the point that I'm not particularly interested in Reim anymore.

Luxelle
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 4:08:08 PM

You've almost caught up to me! I told you that would happen :)

Ordim
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 4:09:49 PM

I predict that one day we may both be level 100 at the same time!

idlewanderlust
Thursday, August 17th, 2017, 12:25:16 AM

@ponclast said in Help an "old noob" learn and understand Reim?:

Yes, get the caster first.

Ragz
Thursday, August 17th, 2017, 8:12:54 AM

@ponclast the strategy will depend on your class a little, and how fast you can kill them. Caster first usually works out pretty good. If you're a wizard, weapon fire goes a long way against them. Water-heavy wizards can 512 them a couple of times to make the emperor a bit less dangerous followed with a few channeled 510s for a tidy cleanup. Acid and steam both work pretty good otherwise, along with 917