Kids with crohns

Ososis
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 5:12:11 PM

Anybody have some experience with this? Any thoughts or tricks perhaps? Iv been staring at so much medical shit lately my brain is melting and for better or worse I'd love some personal thoughts.

allereli
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 5:21:15 PM

I have a related disease (Ulcerative Colitis), and it can really suck. I'm lucky to have it so easy, and some GSers know my awful experiences. I recommend joining a closed Facebook group about it where you can openly talk about the gruesome details. I feel for any kid who has to grow up under those conditions. Camping will be tough if the Crohn's is active (and you're not glamping), and I don't mean that as a shot at you.

androidpk
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 5:27:44 PM

Look into CBD oils for treament.

Ososis
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 5:42:53 PM

@allereli

Yeah, camping got the axe (outing myself as a dad lol). My Little is a bit freaked out by things and her mother is a bit dramatic which doesn't help things. We are setting up a tent in the back yard for the weekend, and driving up a hill for the eclipse. Keeping her close to home while we figure out the medical choices.

@androidpk (and others)

For sure. I live between Oregon and California so it's medical/recreational friendly, I also grew up with the parents of Brave Mykayla, so I could pump them for some thoughts. Are pure CBD oils even controlled?

allereli
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 6:08:13 PM

@ososis said in Kids with crohns:

Yeah, camping got the axe (outing myself as a dad lol). My Little is a bit freaked out by things and her mother is a bit dramatic which doesn't help things. We are setting up a tent in the back yard for the weekend, and driving up a hill for the eclipse. Keeping her close to home while we figure out the medical choices.

I believe that I've stayed in remission due to good hydration, diet, taking the prescribed meds religiously, probiotics, and staying active, but I don't have Crohn's, and I don't know what her symptoms are.

Does she need a colonoscopy? That would be fun at a young age (referring to the prep)

Ososis
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 6:22:50 PM

@allereli

Colonoscopy and endoscopy yesterday, technically still waiting on the results of a biopsy but it's most likely crohns and even if not it's something problematic based on the oscopies (as I have been calling them because it's a lot closer to "esCA-PE" and less like "invasive fucking procedure).

She has a genetic disposition so while I am praying it turns out to be something else, every day and every test makes that illusion harder to hang on it.

On a happier note, colonoscopy preps are roughly 8 million times better than they used to be. Heh, kinda grabbing at happy straws here.

allereli
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 6:40:08 PM

@ososis said in Kids with crohns:

On a happier note, colonoscopy preps are roughly 8 million times better than they used to be. Heh, kinda grabbing at happy straws here.

Agree, had one in Jan after 4 years since the first. It's still not pleasant, but at least it didn't make me cry.

Obsalyn
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 12:09:35 AM

@ososis my mother has had crohns for about my entire life, and I'm almost 43, it can be very difficult to go through. Best thing is to find a support group if you can, check the crohns colitis foundation and see if there is one locally. don't jump on any bandwagon for whatever new drug or procedure they are pushing at the moment, my mother has found out in the decades she's had it they always push something and then ten years later realize it's not a good thing. I will ask my mom what she thinks tomorrow and might have some info for you, or at least a general direction to point you in.

Obsalyn
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 11:06:10 PM

I talked to my mom today, and she told me to definitely check out the chrohns/colitis foundation, she said just to youtube it and you should find a video. Also I would probably recommend an anti inflammatory diet. The only thing that ever worked for her was prednisone but it has major issues with your health in the long term. If that is the diagnosis it's just something you have to deal with when you have a flare up and know what to do. Knowing what to avoid diet wise will help. she's been very active with the foundation here in Ohio for a long time, had it for over 40 years and she's still a feisty old broad. So there's always hope. Don't get discouraged, try to educate yourself as much as possible. I think the key is recognizing the symptoms and knowing what's going on or know when a flare up is occurring.

allereli
Sunday, November 12th, 2017, 5:00:03 AM

someone posted this in a UC FB group, it's a new (2017) introductory video series by the University of Michigan

http://www.med.umich.edu/ibd/school/index.html

archigeek
Sunday, November 12th, 2017, 8:15:16 PM

I have a pair of immune system disorders that are treated with some of the same drugs as Crohn's. I hope you're able to find a treatment that works well. I have been through probably 10 different medications over the course of the last 6-7 years, as they sometimes lose their effectiveness. Some of the drugs are pretty potent, (and really effective too), so you they are on the one hand promising, but care is required when using them. I feel sorry for your little one. Peace.