Intrigue at the Abandoned Inn (Mafia Game Thread)

• Hand of the Arkati

PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE UNLESS YOU PREVIOUSLY SIGNED UP IN THE OTHER THREAD AS A PLAYER.

First, the standard rules:

1. You may only talk about this game in this thread and in an appropriately named spoiler in the Discussion Thread. If you are not playing this game, you may not post in this thread.
    2. You may not play to lose. This will be dealt with at the mod’s discretion (expect an immediate modkill if you play against your faction).
    3. Do not lurk. Replacements are not an option. Be active and don’t put yourself in the position to be modkilled please.
    4. You may not edit your posts.
    5. You may not post your role PM, or quote verbatim from it. You may paraphrase.
    6. Votes and questions must be posted in

bold, on a newline.

You may also ask questions to the mod in PM.

1. You may not post game content in this thread after you are dead. (You may post death flavor.) If you are lynched, you are dead when the deadline is reached. Else, you are dead when the mod says so.
    2. You may not post game content at night. It is night when the aforementioned deadline is reached.
    3. You may not devise codes or otherwise arrange to pass information along as a means of trying to break the game. This also covers a general play in the spirit of the game and fairplay catch-all.
    4. The mod’s decisions are final.

At this time, due to limitation of the forums, I do not think spoiler tags exist, and as such, a discussion thread would be impossible to have without them. If someone can figure them out, then we could have one, but I’ve spent enough time looking and trying, and can’t see how to do them in any guides. :(

Role List:

Town -

Rolename: Wizard
    Faction: Town
    Power: Cop - Each night, you may cast detect magic on another player, to determine if they are under a glamor spell or not. You will receive a result of “Town” or “Not
    Town” back.
    Win Condition: Eliminate the orcish mafia.

Rolename: Warrior
    Power: Doctor - Each night you may attempt to guard one other person, and if the orcs try and kill them, you will prevent them from doing so. You may not try and guard yourself.

Rolename: Adventurer
    Power: None - You are a vanilla town member.

Mafia -

In addition to below roles, the mafia also have the ability to at night communicate privately via PM (With the mod cc’ed on it) and to select another player to be killed. Either member of the mafia can submit this kill by on a separate line in bold typing

Kill: <Target>

Once the mafia have submitted their kill, they may not further communicate via PM until the next night phase.

Rolename: Orcish Bandit
    Faction: Mafia
    Power: Roleblocker - Each night, you may choose one person, and due to your training with the bandit’s guild, you are able to disable them from taking an action that night.
    Win Condition: Eliminate the adventurer’s party.

Rolename: Orcish Brute
    Faction: Mafia
    Power: None - You are a vanilla mafia goon.
    Win Condition: Eliminate the adventurer’s party.

Player List:

1. Maylan
    2. HJFudge
    3. Hips
    4. idlewanderlust
    5. Ozymandius
    6. Flimbo
    7. Estild

I will be sending you each your role here shortly. After that, I will make another post with opening flavor, and officially start Day One!

Please refrain from posting here until then, unless you have a question for me.

Day One has started! You may post now!

As a note, text in italics from the mod is generally considered flavor, while text in bold is considered official mod business.

• Hand of the Arkati

An evil sorcerer (is there any other kind?) decided to torment the young adventurers who frequent the Abandoned Inn, by dropping glamour crystals for the local creatures to pick up and use to appear as an adventurer themselves! Many who had been there recently reported those they thought allies to be killing them upon revival at town. You all are part of a large group that went to the inn to investigate the situation, and if true, to kill the offending creatures, retrieve the dangerous magical items, and make the grounds safe for others to venture into once again. As you explore the tunnels, a loud shriek draws your attention. The party gathers together just in time to hear a ghostly voice say, “Why did you kill me…” as it trails off, the corporeal remains decaying away into nothingness. One of you remarks, “Oh no! They got the cleric!”

Those left decided to gather back together at the tables upstairs to discuss the situation, but when you got up there, you notice that your group seems bigger than it was before, but none of you are quite sure who belongs and who doesn’t. The situation borders on the edge of erupting into full on violence, when one of you voice that perhaps a more democratic solution could alleviate the problem. Fearing for the loss of another deed, the group gathered together to hear the plan warily.

“We should seal the Inn shut, to prevent others from coming in here and confusing the situation further, we can discuss who among us has been replaced, and collectively send them to Lorminstra’s graces.” There was some clamoring, but eventually all agreed to the terms, and the doors and windows were sealed. Everyone reconvened at the tables to began discussions, hands on weapons, and spells at the ready.

Day One has officially stated! You may now post in the game thread! I am going to not set a deadline for this first game yet, as long as discussion is happening and people are being active. That said, I can’t imagine it going beyond two weeks at the absolute longest. This would be far longer than a normal game, but with so many new players, I want to give people the chance to learn and play.

Seven players left alive, four needed to end the day with a lynch! Good Luck!

• GameMaster

Can anyone account for @Maylan when we heard the death cry?

• Platinum

Standing off the side as the group bickered and fought, Whick sneered and took a drag off his cigarette. The only reason he’d come was to have a chance at getting one of those crystals, nut now it seems he was stuck with this group of misfits and incompetents. He didn’t know any of em much, nor did he care particularly about what happened to them, but he’d be damned if he was going to let some ruffians slaughter people willy-nilly. After all, if things got bloody…well, he’d worn his good cloak. Who has silvers to just be taking it to be cleaned all the time?

Sighing, he walks over to the table they are all bickering at and speaks up.

“Ok ok folks. Calm down. We need to figure out who’s who real quick. I’ll start.” Clearing his throat, he stands a bit straighter and introduces himself. “Whick. And I aint ever killed anyone that didn’t deserve it. Or that I wasnt paid to kill. Or who didn’t try to come between me and a woman. Or…” coughing, he stops and admits “Well, nevermind. Suffice it to say, I didn’t kill anyone TONIGHT. So…thats me. Who the hell are all of you?”

(note: Is this how this works? I DONT KNOW HOW TO ITALICIZE THINGS!)

• Hand of the Arkati

People have all kinds of posting styles, and different forums develop their own norms. since part of the game is deception and trying to figure out who is what role, most people try and conceal who they are. While doing so though in-character style posting might be possible, I’ll leave it to each player to decide how to post, ect. Typically only the mod provides flavor text though, as everything someone says in their posts can be used to try and ID them by other players. I hope that clarifies it, I’m trying to be non-committal since my role is to moderate the game, not give strat advice, hehe.

• Hand of the Arkati

**ya’ll can totally post here now. @Hips @Maylan @idlewanderlust @0zymandius @Flimbo **

• White Haven

The blind, somewhat off-kilter Monk stewed quietly in the corner, preening his magnificent coiffure of blonde dainty blonde curls. Tall for a gnome at almost…no, short, for a gnome…wait…At gnome height, he spontaneously errupted into an erratic fury, flailing his arms wildly in a spinning motion as if to punch the air as he made his way to the gathered patrons.

Even a blind man could tell that beneath the blindfold worn by the monk was born an accusatory glance…or at least as accusatory a glance as could be expected from a monk who’d never seen a glance before. “WHO STOLE MY COMBS?! I know it was one of you!” he spat, “They were a matching set! I can’t be expected to release all your souls for Voln if my hair isn’t absolutely PERFECT. It’s disrespectful to Voln! Also ghosts!”

“I heard that Michiko was a ghost” he continued. “WE SHOULD RELEASE HER FOR VOLN!”

Almost as quickly as he’d started, he quieted down again, retreating to a corner to preen his hair.

• White Haven

Edit: Edit: Edit so hard. I made a typo and my brain hurts. *magnificent coiffure of dainty blonde curls. No extra blonde!!

• Platinum

I don’t know what you mean by ghosts.

• TownCrier

Look guys, this is pretty straightforward! We just need to figure out who the real cop is, get him to detect glamours systematically once per night, and lynch those he indicates. By happenstance, I actually AM the real cop here, and would be happy to lend my skills in this area! I haven’t had a whole lot of training, so I can only do this ritual once per night, but if we can all be patient and avoid any infighting, we can resolve this in a logical, methodical manner!

On that note, who should I start with?

• White Haven

Do your magic glamours on @Hips, druid! She used to be cool, but she got this platinum jewelry and now she thinks she’s BETTER THAN US! Also she could be a ghost and we might need to release her for favors!

• GameMaster

You don’t admit to being the Wizard. If you are, the Orcs will surely kill you tonight. More than likely, you’re an Orc and trying to deceive us townfolk and earn or trust by trying to pretend to offer a service which you cannot preform.

In either case, if you’re really the Wizard, your dead tonight by the Orcs. And if not, then you are an Orc anyway and we just kill you ourselves. You cannot be trusted @0zymandius!

Kill: @0zymandius

• TownCrier

@Estild Hey wait a minute! I’m trying to offer a reasonable solution here!

As far as being the next target of the orcs, that’s the main reason I bring it up! I need protection for tonight, because I’ve revealed myself! I’m our best bet to get rid of these Orcs, clearly. And I’m trying to help here!

I should clearly be protected for as long as possible. If I DO turn out to be an orc, then you can kill me then. But on the off chance that I really am the person who can be the most help to us all, I should be protected.

And the fact that @Estild is so quick to target me clearly says that he’s aware of the danger I pose to him… the orc…

Kill: @Estild

• Platinum

@0zymandius is definitely suspicious, but the real illusioned orc we need to get rid of right now is @Flimbo. I mean, really. Have you seen that hair? It’s GOT to be fake. Illusion, fo sho.

Also, who the hell is Michiko? I think all the products he uses in his hair has fried his brain. That, or writing that monk guide.

Did you guys know it was written by Flimbo? IT WAS WRITTEN BY FLIMBO. IN CASE YOU’RE NOT SURE, IT WAS @Flimbo.

Oh yeah, one more time for good measure.

We should totes kill @Flimbo.

• Platinum

You are all friggin suspcious. But yes. I’ll cast my vote to take out that annoying pissant monk!

<b>KILL</b> @Flimbo

• Hand of the Arkati

For those trying to use bold, you can’t use the quick reply it seems, you must go to the bottom and select the reply button. It’s all laid out there.

VOTALS:

0zymandius - 1 - Estild
    Estild - 1 - 0zymandius
    Flimbo - 2 - Hips, HJFudge

Not yet posting - @Maylan

Seven alive, four to lynch!

• White Haven

This is egregious! EGREGIOUS! I’ve been here the whole time! I come to this Inn every week to pet the marmots! And then @Hips steals my best set of combs? …and also votes to kill me?! EGREGIOUS! APPLEBEES THE ABANDONED INN HAS RATS! I FOUND A WHOLE RAT IN MY COBB SALAD!

Free the marmots! I’m with @0zymandius now!

KILL @Estild

• White Haven

It’s double asterisk, by the way, on each end of the word, to bold things. **

• Hand of the Arkati

in reply only, it doesn’t work in quick reply. I just highlight and click it, easier.

• White Haven

I did it in quick reply. I’m doin’ it now. You just gotta enclose what you want to bold in the markup.

• Platinum

I’m in favor of not killing anyone; odds are in the orcs’ favor right now and we’re more likely to kill someone on our side than anything. We don’t have enough information.

• GameMaster

Killing a townsfolk such as much myself would not be to our benefit. But should I die, be sure to narrow your focus on my accusers!

• Platinum

I will break a tie to keep Estild alive if needed; I don’t think he’s bad.

• White Haven

@estild said in Intrigue at the Abandoned Inn (Mafia Game Thread):

Killing a townsfolk such as much myself would not be to our benefit. But should I die, be sure to narrow your focus on my accusers!

For worms, brave Estild! fare thee well, great heart! Ill-weaved ambition, how much art thou shrunk! When that this body did contain a spirit, A kingdom for it was too small a bound, but now two paces of the vilest earth is room enough: this earth that bears thee dead. Bears not alive so stout a gentleman. If thou were sensible of courtesy, I should not make so dear a show of zeal, but let my favors hide thy mangled face, and, even in thy behalf, I’ll thank myself. For doing these fair rites of tenderness. Adieu, and take thy praise with thee to heaven! Thy ignominy sleep with thee in the grave, but not remembered in thy epitaph!

TL;DR:

Giant Monk-ey Maaarmot party on Estild’s orc-mafia graaa-yaaaaaave!!!

alt text

• White Haven

Maylan sets aside her meal with disinterest and gives a weary sigh. She bites her lip and considers Estild a moment, squinting at him with suspicion.

@Estild you wish to know if I can be accounted for during the death cry? No, of course I can’t. Can any of us be accounted for? After all, we were all scattered throughout the tunnels to conduct our search. I resent the implied accusation of your question, and for the sake of my own safety I seek to do away with you as quickly and painlessly as possible. I am sorry.

Let us be done with this nasty business and return to the comforts of town.

Kill: Estild

• TownCrier

Luckily for all of us, I was able to conduct my ritual last night, and can absolutely confirm that @Estild is operating under a glamour. This lines up perfectly with our suspicions, and anyone who was on the fence can feel justified in voting for his death.

• GameMaster

If and when I die, any illusion is automatically dispelled if present. At such a time, it will affirm that I am a townsfolk and that @0zymandius is lying. Be sure to target the confirmed liars first.

• Hand of the Arkati

VOTALS:

0zymandius - 1 - Estild
    Estild - 3 - 0zymandius, Flimbo, Maylan
    Flimbo - 2 - Hips, HJFudge

Seven alive, four to lynch!

• GameMaster

I’d be tempted to switch my vote to @Flimbo, then use @idlewanderlust tie-breaker vote to confirm it, but with 100% certainty knowing that @0zymandius is lying, it’s not worth the risk since @Flimbo’s status is unknown.

• White Haven

Suddenly Flimbo bursts from the basement attop a saddled giant marmot. His flowing blonde locks bouncing energetically as he whoas the beast to a stop. “Flimbo’s a good guy! Monks are -all- good guys!” he exclaims.

“Giddyup, buttercup!” he howls. The marmot springs back to action, its front feet aloft with excitement as it rears up, and then the two are off, bounding back down into the basement, a stream of confetti thrown by Flimbo’s own hand trailing behind them as they go.

• TownCrier

0zymandius hitches up his pants awkwardly and glances around, a guilty expression on his chubby face

So, here’s the thing. And I realize how this is gonna look… but I might have sorta maybe gotten a bit out of hand last night with the stock of ale in the bar. And then subsequently passed out before setting up my actual ritual. So, using the skills honed in my long career as a cop, I decided to bluff @Estild to see what his reaction would be. And given how he’s reacting, I’m hereby rescinding my vote to kill Estild… he’s either a particularly skilled orc or a genuine townsfolk. If it’s the former, he’ll slip up eventually. And if it’s the latter, well… it’d be bad to kill the poor fool.

Tonight I’ll prepare my ritual BEFORE I hit the bar, and tomorrow will have some solid intel for everyone.

Really. You can trust me.

0zymandius licks his lips and heads off to the bar for a refill

• White Haven

Maylan glances over her shoulder and lets out a startled YELP! “Oh, it’s just my shadow”, she says to herself. Maylan takes a swig of rum to calm her nerves and still her shaking hands.

“Goodness but I feel jumpy. Look at me, startled by my own shadow. Perhaps @0zymandius and @idlewanderlust make good points. We should slow down and figure things out before chopping heads off.”

“Let’s start from the beginning. What do we know to be true?”

• White Haven

OOC question: Are we allowed to switch votes? I wasn’t sure.

• Hand of the Arkati

Yes, and a note on people’s voting… Please place it on a separate line, it makes it easier for me to track.

Vote: Jim

Unvote: Tom

Unvote: Jay
    Vote: Bob

• White Haven

My lust for lynching won’t be sated until I’ve attempted to have you all lynched! I’m changing my vote! I’m a LOOSE CANNON! Like John McClane!

Unvote: Estild

Vote: Ozymandius, King of Kings

alt text

Marmots 4 lyfe

• Hand of the Arkati

Votals:

**0zymandius - 2 - @Estild , @Flimbo **
    **Estild - 1 - @Maylan **
    **Flimbo - 2 - @Hips , @HJFudge **

Not Voting: @0zymandius and @idlewanderlust

Seven Alive, Four to lynch. Since discussion is stalled, I’m setting a deadline. Day One will end in five days from now, so 8/27 at 6m EST. If someone has not reached four votes by then, then the person with the most votes will be lynched. If that number is tied, then no one will be lynched.

• Platinum

Im switchin my vote!

KILL: Ozymandius! Hes just gonna have to die.

• White Haven

Now that I’m feeling a little more calm and level-headed, I’m revoking my vote. I think it best to hold off until we hear from folks a little more. We risk killing off one of the good guys if we’re too hasty.

Vote Rescinded

• White Haven

Here’s a question for the group. Could everyone report what they were doing the moment the death cry was heard? I’ll start.

“I was in the tunnels collecting samples for our research. I was digging up a particularly stubborn rock with a very sharp pickaxe when suddenly the rock screamed at me. I was in the process of administering first aide to the rock when I realized that they cry had come from OUTSIDE of the tunnels. That’s when I rushed back to discover the dying cleric.”

But, I still think this is a pretty interesting rock. (Maylan places a rock wrapped in a makeshift bandage on the table and gently pets it).

• White Haven

I myself was downstairs too, petting the marmots, as I stated before. I come every week, but this week is special. You see, next week is the big Marmot Day Parade, and all the marmots will be dressed garishly and prancing about the Trollfangs in celebration of the Great Kobold’s impending return. This week, in addition to the petting, I also had to measure all the marmots for their marmot day costumes, and also confetti slings. This year’s theme is “marmots”, so all the marmots will be wearing marmot costumes. It’s basically double the marmot. And that’s a good thing.

• Platinum

Whick sighs as he regards the group and their shenanigans.

Folding his arms across his chest, he tersely replies: “I was trying to keep my eye on all of you but I saw something run across one of the tunnels. A spirit of some sort, I think…”

Pondering a moment, he waves his hand in a dismissive gesture.

“Regardless, I wasn’t around to see who exactly killed the cleric. But…one of you is guilty. And sooner I figure out who, sooner I can get out of here.”

• White Haven

Ghosts! We need to punch them for Voln! It releases their flavors!

• Platinum

I was attempting to drink away the memory of a horrifying sight. At 175 silvers a pop, you can drown yourself in this inn’s red wine. Sadly, the vision of Flimbo’s hair remains.

glug glug glug

• White Haven

make it stop make it stop make it stopSHE’S A WITCH BURN HER!

My brains hurt from the wine.

• White Haven

@0zymandius , @idlewanderlust , and @Estild are still unaccounted for. Hmmmmmmmmmm suspicious?

• TownCrier

Look… I was trying to get down there when the screaming started. I just had to… handle a few things. At the bar. Which… OK, I mean, I get it. I know how it sounds, but the simple fact of the matter is that I wasn’t anywhere CLOSE to the tunnels when it happened. Now if you’ll excuse me, I found an untapped keg of ale that needs my… attention.

• Platinum

@maylan said in Intrigue at the Abandoned Inn (Mafia Game Thread):

@0zymandius , @idlewanderlust , and @Estild are still unaccounted for. Hmmmmmmmmmm suspicious?

I am not unaccounted for.

• White Haven

I bet @idlewanderlust wasn’t unaccounted for because he/she/it things was doing ORC MAFIA STUFF! I’m gonna go with she until told otherwise because your avatar is a she. She said we shouldn’t kill anybody! If I were a orc mafia guy, that’s exactly the type of thing I would say, to throw people off the trail! Also it would be a sign if she were saying to kill everybody! Like I said. I also might be a orc mafia guy! We should kill everybody just to be safe! That’ll show that dirty orc mafia. I’m still pretty sure @hips is the mafia guy though. She smells like a orc.

The Marmot Day parade must go off without a hitch, whether I’m alive to see it or not! The Great Kobold demands it!

• Platinum

The bad guys want people killed because it gets the village to do their job for them.

Of course, you are likely one of them.

• White Haven

You sure know a lot about what bad guys want! j’accuse!!

Looks like your connection to Elanthian Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.