Intrigue at the Abandoned Inn (Mafia Game Thread)

Claudaro
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 10:59:34 AM

PLEASE DO NOT POST HERE UNLESS YOU PREVIOUSLY SIGNED UP IN THE OTHER THREAD AS A PLAYER.

First, the standard rules:

1. You may only talk about this game in this thread ~~and in an appropriately named spoiler in the Discussion Thread~~. If you are not playing this game, you may not post in this thread.
  2. You may not play to lose. This will be dealt with at the mod's discretion (expect an immediate modkill if you play against your faction).
  3. Do not lurk. Replacements are not an option. Be active and don't put yourself in the position to be modkilled please.
  4. You may not edit your posts.
  5. You may not post your role PM, or quote verbatim from it. You may paraphrase.
  6. Votes and questions must be posted in

bold, on a newline.

You may also ask questions to the mod in PM. 7. You may not post game content in this thread after you are dead. (You may post death flavor.) If you are lynched, you are dead when the deadline is reached. Else, you are dead when the mod says so. 8. You may not post game content at night. It is night when the aforementioned deadline is reached. 9. You may not devise codes or otherwise arrange to pass information along as a means of trying to break the game. This also covers a general play in the spirit of the game and fairplay catch-all. 10. The mod's decisions are final.

At this time, due to limitation of the forums, I do not think spoiler tags exist, and as such, a discussion thread would be impossible to have without them. If someone can figure them out, then we could have one, but I've spent enough time looking and trying, and can't see how to do them in any guides. :(

Role List:

Town -

Rolename: Wizard
Faction: Town
Power: Cop - Each night, you may cast detect magic on another player, to determine if they are under a glamor spell or not. You will receive a result of “Town” or “Not Town” back.
Win Condition: Eliminate the orcish mafia.

Rolename: Warrior
Power: Doctor - Each night you may attempt to guard one other person, and if the orcs try and kill them, you will prevent them from doing so. You may not try and guard yourself.

Rolename: Adventurer
Power: None - You are a vanilla town member.

Mafia -

In addition to below roles, the mafia also have the ability to at night communicate privately via PM (With the mod cc’ed on it) and to select another player to be killed. Either member of the mafia can submit this kill by on a separate line in bold typing

Kill:

Once the mafia have submitted their kill, they may not further communicate via PM until the next night phase.

Rolename: Orcish Bandit
Faction: Mafia
Power: Roleblocker - Each night, you may choose one person, and due to your training with the bandit’s guild, you are able to disable them from taking an action that night.
Win Condition: Eliminate the adventurer’s party.

Rolename: Orcish Brute
Faction: Mafia
Power: None - You are a vanilla mafia goon.
Win Condition: Eliminate the adventurer’s party.

Player List:

1. Maylan
  2. HJFudge
  3. Hips
  4. idlewanderlust
  5. Ozymandius
  6. Flimbo
  7. Estild

~~I will be sending you each your role here shortly. After that, I will make another post with opening flavor, and officially start Day One!~~

~~Please refrain from posting here until then, unless you have a question for me.~~

Day One has started! You may post now!

As a note, text in italics from the mod is generally considered flavor, while text in bold is considered official mod business.

Claudaro
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 11:39:52 AM

An evil sorcerer (is there any other kind?) decided to torment the young adventurers who frequent the Abandoned Inn, by dropping glamour crystals for the local creatures to pick up and use to appear as an adventurer themselves! Many who had been there recently reported those they thought allies to be killing them upon revival at town. You all are part of a large group that went to the inn to investigate the situation, and if true, to kill the offending creatures, retrieve the dangerous magical items, and make the grounds safe for others to venture into once again. As you explore the tunnels, a loud shriek draws your attention. The party gathers together just in time to hear a ghostly voice say, "Why did you kill me..." as it trails off, the corporeal remains decaying away into nothingness. One of you remarks, "Oh no! They got the cleric!"

Those left decided to gather back together at the tables upstairs to discuss the situation, but when you got up there, you notice that your group seems bigger than it was before, but none of you are quite sure who belongs and who doesn't. The situation borders on the edge of erupting into full on violence, when one of you voice that perhaps a more democratic solution could alleviate the problem. Fearing for the loss of another deed, the group gathered together to hear the plan warily.

"We should seal the Inn shut, to prevent others from coming in here and confusing the situation further, we can discuss who among us has been replaced, and collectively send them to Lorminstra's graces." There was some clamoring, but eventually all agreed to the terms, and the doors and windows were sealed. Everyone reconvened at the tables to began discussions, hands on weapons, and spells at the ready.

Day One has officially stated! You may now post in the game thread! I am going to not set a deadline for this first game yet, as long as discussion is happening and people are being active. That said, I can't imagine it going beyond two weeks at the absolute longest. This would be far longer than a normal game, but with so many new players, I want to give people the chance to learn and play.

Seven players left alive, four needed to end the day with a lynch! Good Luck!

Estild
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 11:47:55 AM

Can anyone account for @Maylan when we heard the death cry?

HJFudge
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 11:51:43 AM

Standing off the side as the group bickered and fought, Whick sneered and took a drag off his cigarette. The only reason he'd come was to have a chance at getting one of those crystals, nut now it seems he was stuck with this group of misfits and incompetents. He didn't know any of em much, nor did he care particularly about what happened to them, but he'd be damned if he was going to let some ruffians slaughter people willy-nilly. After all, if things got bloody...well, he'd worn his good cloak. Who has silvers to just be taking it to be cleaned all the time?

Sighing, he walks over to the table they are all bickering at and speaks up.

"Ok ok folks. Calm down. We need to figure out who's who real quick. I'll start." Clearing his throat, he stands a bit straighter and introduces himself. "Whick. And I aint ever killed anyone that didn't deserve it. Or that I wasnt paid to kill. Or who didn't try to come between me and a woman. Or..." coughing, he stops and admits "Well, nevermind. Suffice it to say, I didn't kill anyone TONIGHT. So...thats me. Who the hell are all of you?"

(note: Is this how this works? I DONT KNOW HOW TO ITALICIZE THINGS!)

Claudaro
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 11:56:29 AM

People have all kinds of posting styles, and different forums develop their own norms. since part of the game is deception and trying to figure out who is what role, most people try and conceal who they are. While doing so though in-character style posting might be possible, I'll leave it to each player to decide how to post, ect. Typically only the mod provides flavor text though, as everything someone says in their posts can be used to try and ID them by other players. I hope that clarifies it, I'm trying to be non-committal since my role is to moderate the game, not give strat advice, hehe.

Claudaro
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 9:38:14 PM

*ya'll can totally post here now. @Hips @Maylan @idlewanderlust @0zymandius @Flimbo *

Flimbo
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 11:12:34 PM

The blind, somewhat off-kilter Monk stewed quietly in the corner, preening his magnificent coiffure of blonde dainty blonde curls. Tall for a gnome at almost...no, short, for a gnome..wait...At gnome height, he spontaneously errupted into an erratic fury, flailing his arms wildly in a spinning motion as if to punch the air as he made his way to the gathered patrons.

Even a blind man could tell that beneath the blindfold worn by the monk was born an accusatory glance...or at least as accusatory a glance as could be expected from a monk who'd never seen a glance before. "WHO STOLE MY COMBS?! I know it was one of you!" he spat, "They were a matching set! I can't be expected to release all your souls for Voln if my hair isn't absolutely PERFECT. It's disrespectful to Voln! Also ghosts!"

"I heard that Michiko was a ghost" he continued. "WE SHOULD RELEASE HER FOR VOLN!"

Almost as quickly as he'd started, he quieted down again, retreating to a corner to preen his hair.

Flimbo
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 11:16:46 PM

Edit: Edit: Edit so hard. I made a typo and my brain hurts. *magnificent coiffure of dainty blonde curls. No extra blonde!!

idlewanderlust
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 4:16:28 AM

I don't know what you mean by ghosts.

0zymandius
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 11:00:08 AM

Look guys, this is pretty straightforward! We just need to figure out who the real cop is, get him to detect glamours systematically once per night, and lynch those he indicates. By happenstance, I actually AM the real cop here, and would be happy to lend my skills in this area! I haven't had a whole lot of training, so I can only do this ritual once per night, but if we can all be patient and avoid any infighting, we can resolve this in a logical, methodical manner!

On that note, who should I start with?

Flimbo
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 11:02:11 AM

Do your magic glamours on @Hips, druid! She used to be cool, but she got this platinum jewelry and now she thinks she's BETTER THAN US! Also she could be a ghost and we might need to release her for favors!

Estild
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 11:33:14 AM

You don't admit to being the Wizard. If you are, the Orcs will surely kill you tonight. More than likely, you're an Orc and trying to deceive us townfolk and earn or trust by trying to pretend to offer a service which you cannot preform.

In either case, if you're really the Wizard, your dead tonight by the Orcs. And if not, then you are an Orc anyway and we just kill you ourselves. You cannot be trusted @0zymandius!

Kill: @0zymandius

0zymandius
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 11:45:19 AM

@Estild Hey wait a minute! I'm trying to offer a reasonable solution here!

As far as being the next target of the orcs, that's the main reason I bring it up! I need protection for tonight, because I've revealed myself! I'm our best bet to get rid of these Orcs, clearly. And I'm trying to help here!

I should clearly be protected for as long as possible. If I DO turn out to be an orc, then you can kill me then. But on the off chance that I really am the person who can be the most help to us all, I should be protected.

And the fact that @Estild is so quick to target me clearly says that he's aware of the danger I pose to him.... the orc...

Kill: @Estild

Hips
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 3:31:20 PM

@0zymandius is definitely suspicious, but the real illusioned orc we need to get rid of right now is @Flimbo. I mean, really. Have you seen that hair? It's GOT to be fake. Illusion, fo sho.

Also, who the hell is Michiko? I think all the products he uses in his hair has fried his brain. That, or writing that monk guide.

Did you guys know it was written by Flimbo? IT WAS WRITTEN BY FLIMBO. IN CASE YOU'RE NOT SURE, IT WAS @Flimbo.

Oh yeah, one more time for good measure.

We should totes kill @Flimbo.

HJFudge
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 3:35:40 PM

You are all friggin suspcious. But yes. I'll cast my vote to take out that annoying pissant monk!

KILL @Flimbo

Claudaro
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 3:41:14 PM

For those trying to use bold, you can't use the quick reply it seems, you must go to the bottom and select the reply button. It's all laid out there.

VOTALS:

0zymandius - 1 - Estild
Estild - 1 - 0zymandius
Flimbo - 2 - Hips, HJFudge

Not yet posting - @Maylan

Seven alive, four to lynch!

Flimbo
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 5:41:03 PM

This is egregious! EGREGIOUS! I've been here the whole time! I come to this Inn every week to pet the marmots! And then @Hips steals my best set of combs? ...and also votes to kill me?! EGREGIOUS! ~~APPLEBEES~~ THE ABANDONED INN HAS RATS! I FOUND A WHOLE RAT IN MY COBB SALAD!

Free the marmots! I'm with @0zymandius now!

KILL @Estild

Flimbo
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 5:41:38 PM

It's double asterisk, by the way, on each end of the word, to bold things. **

Claudaro
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 5:44:11 PM

in reply only, it doesn't work in quick reply. I just highlight and click it, easier.

Flimbo
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 5:44:42 PM

I did it in quick reply. I'm doin' it now. You just gotta enclose what you want to bold in the markup.

idlewanderlust
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 6:45:29 PM

I'm in favor of not killing anyone; odds are in the orcs' favor right now and we're more likely to kill someone on our side than anything. We don't have enough information.

Estild
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 9:07:22 PM

Killing a townsfolk such as much myself would not be to our benefit. But should I die, be sure to narrow your focus on my accusers!

idlewanderlust
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 9:12:20 PM

I will break a tie to keep Estild alive if needed; I don't think he's bad.

Flimbo
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 9:16:14 PM

@estild said in Intrigue at the Abandoned Inn (Mafia Game Thread):

Killing a townsfolk such as much myself would not be to our benefit. But should I die, be sure to narrow your focus on my accusers!

For worms, brave Estild! fare thee well, great heart! Ill-weaved ambition, how much art thou shrunk! When that this body did contain a spirit, A kingdom for it was too small a bound, but now two paces of the vilest earth is room enough: this earth that bears thee dead. Bears not alive so stout a gentleman. If thou were sensible of courtesy, I should not make so dear a show of zeal, but let my favors hide thy mangled face, and, even in thy behalf, I'll thank myself. For doing these fair rites of tenderness. Adieu, and take thy praise with thee to heaven! Thy ignominy sleep with thee in the grave, but not remembered in thy epitaph!

TL;DR:

Giant Monk-ey Maaarmot party on Estild's orc-mafia graaa-yaaaaaave!!!

alt text

Maylan
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 10:51:15 PM

Maylan sets aside her meal with disinterest and gives a weary sigh. She bites her lip and considers Estild a moment, squinting at him with suspicion.

@Estild you wish to know if I can be accounted for during the death cry? No, of course I can't. Can any of us be accounted for? After all, we were all scattered throughout the tunnels to conduct our search. I resent the implied accusation of your question, and for the sake of my own safety I seek to do away with you as quickly and painlessly as possible. I am sorry.

Let us be done with this nasty business and return to the comforts of town.

Kill: Estild

0zymandius
Monday, August 21st, 2017, 6:58:07 AM

Luckily for all of us, I was able to conduct my ritual last night, and can absolutely confirm that @Estild is operating under a glamour. This lines up perfectly with our suspicions, and anyone who was on the fence can feel justified in voting for his death.

Estild
Monday, August 21st, 2017, 10:41:31 AM

If and when I die, any illusion is automatically dispelled if present. At such a time, it will affirm that I am a townsfolk and that @0zymandius is lying. Be sure to target the confirmed liars first.

Claudaro
Monday, August 21st, 2017, 11:20:03 AM

VOTALS:

0zymandius - 1 - Estild
Estild - 3 - 0zymandius, Flimbo, Maylan
Flimbo - 2 - Hips, HJFudge

Seven alive, four to lynch!

Estild
Monday, August 21st, 2017, 11:25:27 AM

I'd be tempted to switch my vote to @Flimbo, then use @idlewanderlust tie-breaker vote to confirm it, but with 100% certainty knowing that @0zymandius is lying, it's not worth the risk since @Flimbo's status is unknown.

Flimbo
Monday, August 21st, 2017, 11:53:32 AM

Suddenly Flimbo bursts from the basement attop a saddled giant marmot. His flowing blonde locks bouncing energetically as he whoas the beast to a stop. "Flimbo's a good guy! Monks are -all- good guys!" he exclaims.

"Giddyup, buttercup!" he howls. The marmot springs back to action, its front feet aloft with excitement as it rears up, and then the two are off, bounding back down into the basement, a stream of confetti thrown by Flimbo's own hand trailing behind them as they go.

0zymandius
Monday, August 21st, 2017, 12:11:01 PM

0zymandius hitches up his pants awkwardly and glances around, a guilty expression on his chubby face

So, here's the thing. And I realize how this is gonna look... but I might have sorta maybe gotten a bit out of hand last night with the stock of ale in the bar. And then subsequently passed out before setting up my actual ritual. So, using the skills honed in my long career as a cop, I decided to bluff @Estild to see what his reaction would be. And given how he's reacting, I'm hereby rescinding my vote to kill Estild... he's either a particularly skilled orc or a genuine townsfolk. If it's the former, he'll slip up eventually. And if it's the latter, well... it'd be bad to kill the poor fool.

Tonight I'll prepare my ritual BEFORE I hit the bar, and tomorrow will have some solid intel for everyone.

Really. You can trust me.

0zymandius licks his lips and heads off to the bar for a refill

Maylan
Monday, August 21st, 2017, 6:53:49 PM

Maylan glances over her shoulder and lets out a startled YELP! "Oh, it's just my shadow", she says to herself. Maylan takes a swig of rum to calm her nerves and still her shaking hands.

"Goodness but I feel jumpy. Look at me, startled by my own shadow. Perhaps @0zymandius and @idlewanderlust make good points. We should slow down and figure things out before chopping heads off."

"Let's start from the beginning. What do we know to be true?"

Maylan
Monday, August 21st, 2017, 6:56:11 PM

OOC question: Are we allowed to switch votes? I wasn't sure.

Claudaro
Monday, August 21st, 2017, 6:58:34 PM

Yes, and a note on people's voting... Please place it on a separate line, it makes it easier for me to track.

Vote: Jim

Unvote: Tom

Unvote: Jay
Vote: Bob

Flimbo
Monday, August 21st, 2017, 7:02:14 PM

My lust for lynching won't be sated until I've attempted to have you all lynched! I'm changing my vote! I'm a LOOSE CANNON! Like John McClane!

Unvote: Estild

Vote: Ozymandius, King of Kings

alt text

Marmots 4 lyfe

Claudaro
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 5:47:39 PM

Votals:

*0zymandius - 2 - @Estild , @Flimbo *
*Estild - 1 - @Maylan *
*Flimbo - 2 - @Hips , @HJFudge *

Not Voting: @0zymandius and @idlewanderlust

Seven Alive, Four to lynch. Since discussion is stalled, I'm setting a deadline. Day One will end in five days from now, so 8/27 at 6m EST. If someone has not reached four votes by then, then the person with the most votes will be lynched. If that number is tied, then no one will be lynched.

HJFudge
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 5:50:40 PM

Im switchin my vote!

KILL: Ozymandius! Hes just gonna have to die.

Maylan
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017, 5:54:30 PM

Now that I'm feeling a little more calm and level-headed, I'm revoking my vote. I think it best to hold off until we hear from folks a little more. We risk killing off one of the good guys if we're too hasty.

Vote Rescinded

Maylan
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 5:22:21 PM

Here's a question for the group. Could everyone report what they were doing the moment the death cry was heard? I'll start.

"I was in the tunnels collecting samples for our research. I was digging up a particularly stubborn rock with a very sharp pickaxe when suddenly the rock screamed at me. I was in the process of administering first aide to the rock when I realized that they cry had come from OUTSIDE of the tunnels. That's when I rushed back to discover the dying cleric."

But, I still think this is a pretty interesting rock. (Maylan places a rock wrapped in a makeshift bandage on the table and gently pets it).

Flimbo
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 5:38:07 PM

I myself was downstairs too, petting the marmots, as I stated before. I come every week, but this week is special. You see, next week is the big Marmot Day Parade, and all the marmots will be dressed garishly and prancing about the Trollfangs in celebration of the Great Kobold's impending return. This week, in addition to the petting, I also had to measure all the marmots for their marmot day costumes, and also confetti slings. This year's theme is "marmots", so all the marmots will be wearing marmot costumes. It's basically double the marmot. And that's a good thing.

HJFudge
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 5:45:21 PM

Whick sighs as he regards the group and their shenanigans.

Folding his arms across his chest, he tersely replies: "I was trying to keep my eye on all of you but I saw something run across one of the tunnels. A spirit of some sort, I think..."

Pondering a moment, he waves his hand in a dismissive gesture.

"Regardless, I wasn't around to see who exactly killed the cleric. But...one of you is guilty. And sooner I figure out who, sooner I can get out of here."

Flimbo
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 5:57:29 PM

Ghosts! We need to punch them for Voln! It releases their flavors!

Hips
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 7:05:54 PM

I was attempting to drink away the memory of a horrifying sight. At 175 silvers a pop, you can drown yourself in this inn's red wine. Sadly, the vision of Flimbo's hair remains.

glug glug glug

Flimbo
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 9:44:28 PM

make it stop make it stop make it stopSHE'S A WITCH BURN HER!

My brains hurt from the wine.

Maylan
Thursday, August 24th, 2017, 9:57:12 AM

@0zymandius , @idlewanderlust , and @Estild are still unaccounted for. Hmmmmmmmmmm suspicious?

0zymandius
Thursday, August 24th, 2017, 10:10:45 AM

Look... I was trying to get down there when the screaming started. I just had to... handle a few things. At the bar. Which... OK, I mean, I get it. I know how it sounds, but the simple fact of the matter is that I wasn't anywhere CLOSE to the tunnels when it happened. Now if you'll excuse me, I found an untapped keg of ale that needs my... attention.

idlewanderlust
Thursday, August 24th, 2017, 3:16:57 PM

@maylan said in Intrigue at the Abandoned Inn (Mafia Game Thread):

@0zymandius , @idlewanderlust , and @Estild are still unaccounted for. Hmmmmmmmmmm suspicious?

I am not unaccounted for.

Flimbo
Thursday, August 24th, 2017, 3:53:42 PM

I bet @idlewanderlust wasn't unaccounted for because he/she/it things was doing ORC MAFIA STUFF! I'm gonna go with she until told otherwise because your avatar is a she. She said we shouldn't kill anybody! If I were a orc mafia guy, that's exactly the type of thing I would say, to throw people off the trail! Also it would be a sign if she were saying to kill everybody! Like I said. I also might be a orc mafia guy! We should kill everybody just to be safe! That'll show that dirty orc mafia. I'm still pretty sure @hips is the mafia guy though. She smells like a orc.

The Marmot Day parade must go off without a hitch, whether I'm alive to see it or not! The Great Kobold demands it!

idlewanderlust
Thursday, August 24th, 2017, 4:07:08 PM

The bad guys want people killed because it gets the village to do their job for them.

Of course, you are likely one of them.

Flimbo
Thursday, August 24th, 2017, 4:10:38 PM

You sure know a lot about what bad guys want! j'accuse!!

Claudaro
Thursday, August 24th, 2017, 6:51:49 PM

Votals:

0zymandius - 3 - @Estild , @Flimbo, @hjfudge
Flimbo - 1 - @Hips

Not Voting: @0zymandius, @Maylan and @idlewanderlust

Seven Alive, Four to lynch. Since discussion is stalled, I’m setting a deadline. Day One will end on 8/27 at 6m EST. If someone has not reached four votes by then, then the person with the most votes will be lynched. If that number is tied, then no one will be lynched.

Maylan
Friday, August 25th, 2017, 10:06:26 AM

@idlewanderlust said in Intrigue at the Abandoned Inn (Mafia Game Thread):

(Maylan clears her throat and spreads her hands wide, appealing to the group gathered around the table)

We are here to discover who murdered our dear cleric, and clear our group of any orcs that may be present. I have called for a period of inaction and reflection so that we may gather evidence. Now that we have more information, I feel we need to start considering and acting on it. That two among our group refuse to answer even a basic question as to where they were when we heard the death cry causes extreme suspicion.

@Estild is still unaccounted for, but they appear to be fast asleep so perhaps they will answer us when they wake up. (Maylan gently kicks Estild's leg)

@idlewanderlust claims to be accounted for when we heard the death cry, but chooses to provide no actual details as to where they were and what they were doing. My choice is clear.

Vote: Kill idlewanderlust

0zymandius
Friday, August 25th, 2017, 10:28:20 AM

(Maylan clears her throat and spreads her hands wide, appealing to the group gathered around the table)

We are here to discover who murdered our dear cleric, and clear our group of any orcs that may be present. I have called for a period of inaction and reflection so that we may gather evidence. Now that we have more information, I feel we need to start considering and acting on it. That two among our group refuse to answer even a basic question as to where they were when we heard the death cry causes extreme suspicion.

@Estild is still unaccounted for, but they appear to be fast asleep so perhaps they will answer us when they wake up. (Maylan gently kicks Estild's leg)

@idlewanderlust claims to be accounted for when we heard the death cry, but chooses to provide no actual details as to where they were and what they were doing. My choice is clear.

Vote: Kill idlewanderlust

I must agree with @Maylan. It's time to take some action.

Kill: @idlewanderlust

Flimbo
Friday, August 25th, 2017, 11:14:51 AM

Have I voted for @idlewanderlust's lynching yet? I don't think I have! YIPPIE KI-YAY MARMOT BROTHERS!

Unvote: Ozymandius

Vote: @idlewanderlust

idlewanderlust
Friday, August 25th, 2017, 1:19:47 PM

Excellent. The bad guys are revealing themselves early.

Maylan
Friday, August 25th, 2017, 6:12:06 PM

Excellent. The bad guys are revealing themselves early.

Actually, I agree with you. I believe I have correctly identified you as either our cleric killer or an orc.

If I were an orc, how would I conduct myself within this company? I would play innocent by advocating for peace while sitting back and revealing as little as possible about myself. My responses would be as brief as possible - the less information provided, the less the townspeople would have to judge me with. This would allow me to elude scrutiny while the townspeople argue amongst themselves. If you care to review our conversation so far, you will notice this very pattern.

idlewanderlust's plan was to lay low while we take each other out. Perhaps if their ruse had been a touch more subtle I would have fallen for it.

idlewanderlust
Friday, August 25th, 2017, 9:48:24 PM

Yes, my plan was to let you take each other out by... trying to get people to not take anyone out. You nailed it.

idlewanderlust
Sunday, August 27th, 2017, 12:48:22 AM

Given the 4/3 split, it is vital a village person does not die immediately. Then you'd have a 3/3 split, and unless you get lucky with the protect at night, the orcs have already won. I need to help make sure that doesn't happen.

Vote: 0zymandius

Maylan
Sunday, August 27th, 2017, 9:35:13 AM

Now it's up to @Estild @HJFudge and @Hips to break the tie. Will everyone live to see the morning, or are we killing an orc tonight?

idlewanderlust
Sunday, August 27th, 2017, 12:08:52 PM

@Hips is out of town. Not sure if she's checking this.

Hips
Sunday, August 27th, 2017, 12:16:20 PM

I am still checking this, despite being on vacation in... uh, Solhaven. Fruity drinks instead of 175 silver wine!

I personally think we're being too quick to judge @idlewanderlust. And I still hate @Flimbo's hair. My vote stands!

HJFudge
Sunday, August 27th, 2017, 12:18:18 PM

I feel that Ozymandius is more likely an Orc than Idlewanderlust.

Im sticking with my current vote as well.

Maylan
Sunday, August 27th, 2017, 12:25:34 PM

Hmmmm would love to hear your thoughts as to why you suspect Ozy when you have time. They seem to be playing the cartoon bad guy trope, which would not make sense for an orc to do. I thought I had idle nailed as an orc, but I could be wrong.

HJFudge
Sunday, August 27th, 2017, 12:35:29 PM

Well, I'm just playing the odds here ma'am.

Could Ozy simply have initially been 'mistaken' when he claimed to have Surefire knowledge that Estild was an Orc? Sure.

But the more likely scenario is that he made a bluff to try and single Estild out, Estild CALLED his bluff, and then he panicked and tried to backpedal. (which, I will point out, is a silly thing to do...shoulda stuck with your guns man).

So, odds are, he was lying initially. And if hes lying about one thing...well, Orc. Hes an Orc.

Could I be wrong? Sure. But I find it far more likely Im right.

Claudaro
Sunday, August 27th, 2017, 12:36:14 PM

Votals:

0zymandius - 3 - @Estild , @HJFudge, @idlewanderlust
Flimbo - 1 - @Hips
idlewanderlust - 3 - @Maylan, @0zymandius, @Flimbo

Seven Alive, Four to lynch. Since discussion is stalled, I’m setting a deadline. Day One will end today at 6m EST. If someone has not reached four votes by then, then the person with the most votes will be lynched. If that number is tied, then no one will be lynched. You have roughly 5.5 hours from the time of this post.

0zymandius
Sunday, August 27th, 2017, 12:47:14 PM

I was drunk when I said Estild was an orc, OK?!? Sheesh! It's been a LITTLE stressful around here, in case you hadn't noticed! I was supposed to be more on top of things than I had been, and I was feeling bad that I hadn't done my research, and I pointed the finger at the wrong person. I'm just trying to make amends here. I don't think you guys should LYNCH someone who's your best asset! I promise I'll lay off the drink until we get this resolved. Really. You can trust me.

idlewanderlust
Sunday, August 27th, 2017, 1:58:54 PM

Is that 6 PM, @Claudaro?

Claudaro
Sunday, August 27th, 2017, 2:09:56 PM

Yes, 6pm on that, sorry.

Flimbo
Sunday, August 27th, 2017, 3:22:35 PM

By golly but you were right Ozymandius! @Estild has been the most quietest of them all, plotting and scheming in a corner! That's definitely a orc thing to do, waiting for us all to kill each other off! But I can't in good conscience vote for someone's lynching twice in one day! It's been another day, there must be another target!

Unvote: idlewanderlust

Vote: Maylan

You're next if this goes any further, Fudge!

0zymandius
Sunday, August 27th, 2017, 6:54:11 PM

Well... I can see the writing on the wall, and I guess I'll be leaving you all soon... all I can say is that you're going to regret it. A lot. You're doing the orcs a great service here. But it's a personal goal of mine to not die sober, so until you get the lynching gear in place.... I'll be at the bar. May the Gods have mercy on you.

Claudaro
Sunday, August 27th, 2017, 7:31:08 PM

@0zymandius has been lynched via having the most votes in a non-tie at the end of the game day. Day one is over! Please cease all discussion until day two is announced. If you have a night action, please submit it promptly. Night one is now in effect. Flavor will be provided at start of Day two.

Claudaro
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 3:22:39 PM

As the adventurer's clamored on, professing their innocence, and making their accusations, one shouted out over the rest.

"Hey everyone, I'm a wizard, I can tell who the orcs are by detecting their glamour magic!" and then he went off to the bar for another bottle.

Even though he had made such a claimed such a useful ability, no one believed him, thinking him just an orc, despite no one else contesting his claim. As the wizard sat there drinking, he popped his head up and said "I know who the orcs are! It's him!" and then promptly slumped over the bar. When he awoke he shouted, "Sorry, I don't really know, but I might tomorrow if you don't kill me!" At this point, a few folks had enough of this drunken wizard, and decided that he needed to go.

The other adventurer's circled around him, and using a length of rope, strung @0zymandius up over the beams in the tavern. Exhausted with their efforts for the day, they took to their rooms, awaiting the next day. When they went down, a search was made of @0zymandius's body, and a pair of gloves ticked with the emblem of the Wizard's Guild were tucked away among various other things, and they realized they had indeed killed the wizard in their party. His remains quickly decayed away, a drunken hiccup echoing though the room.

@0zymandius has been lynched and is dead. He was the Town Wizard, Cop.

As the adventurer's looked around, they realized one of them wasn't among them. They raced up to the rooms and started searching the remaining ones, until they came upon the corpse of one of their comrades. He had seemed quite murder happy the day before, so no tears were shed for him, but the prospect of being down another adventurer made the remaining townsfolk scared. @HJFudge lay in his bed, his body badly slashed open as he had slept. As they looked him over, they saw that he was indeed one of them. His body quickly decayed after inspection, a high pitched wail about crystals echoing though the room.

@HJFudge has been killed by the orcs in the night. He was a Town Adventurer, Vanilla Townie.

As they remaining adventurer's looked around, they realized that only three of them were true to their cause, and the other two must be orcs in disguise. They set about the careful task of planning who to kill next.

Day Two starts now! There are five players left, three to lynch! Today is possible LYLO (Lynch or Lose) if you lynch anyone but an orc today, they will win.

Discussion may now resume among the living players. No deadline is set yet.

Flimbo
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 3:42:12 PM

An early morning -WHUMP- could be heard from the tavern area to those not already in the vicinity, followed by some scraping, sounds of a struggle, a dragging noise, and finally a fast, loud, -WHUMPWHUMPWHUMPWHUMPWHUMP- as Flimbo rode Ozymandias' corpse down the stairs like a toboggan.

Some time later he emerged again on the ground floor, some pep in his step, his blonde ringlets bouncing in stride.

"The marmots are fed!" he announced, then went to the bar to scrounge up something to eat. Clamboring atop the bar now with what appeared to be at one point a loaf of bread, but had fossilized over the ages, Flimbo absentmindedly began to gnaw on a corner.

"Also that Fudge guy is dead. That quiet guy probably did it! Quiet people are always over there in the shadows...ssssnnnneaaking. Estild is the bad murderer, and he cost me my chance to accuse Fudge of being the murderer by murdering him!!!"

Vote: Estild

Estild
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 3:42:50 PM

Worst wizard ever.

idlewanderlust
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 3:46:51 PM

We are screwed.

0zymandius
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 4:58:17 PM

Worst wizard ever.

I blame the GM for my lack of understanding of a fundamental system in the game. It's clearly not MY fault.

Maylan
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 6:07:23 PM

Um, ouch...okay I...ouch. That was brutal.

HJFudge
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 6:07:49 PM

My ghost will haunt you all!

Maylan
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 6:24:24 PM

(Maylan takes a seat at the table and places a rock next to her. It appears to be the same rock from yesterday, except the bandages have been replaced with a small wig and a haphazardly painted face. The makeshift wig is made from spare foliage, grass, and lumpy glue. She attempts to feed the rock her breakfast, but it seems disinterested in the runny eggs and congealed sausage on her plate).

My friend here is clearly upset about the events that occurred last night, (Maylan's lip quivers) surely that's why he has no appetite. And I must say, I'm quite pleasantly surprised to wake up alive. Although two of our fellow townspeople are now dead, and this is serious cause for concern.

I still maintain that the quiet folks are the ones to fear. The ones lurking in the corner waiting for us to pick each other off.

idlewanderlust
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 6:46:41 PM

I can't decide between Flimbo and Estild.

Maylan
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 7:03:03 PM

@idlewanderlust For what it's worth, I'm LESS convinced you are an orc based on recent interactions. You've been less quiet and you've actively voted. I'm leaning towards Estild, but I think it's a smidge too early to vote until we've at least heard from everyone.

Estild
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 8:02:18 PM

Those who are eager to point a finger must be trying to divert attention away from themselves.

Hips
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 10:01:33 PM

Are we all just going to ignore the guy who rode a corpse down the stairs like a sled?

And then fed the body to the marmots, who share the tunnels with the orcs?

Flimbo
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 10:06:39 PM

If you have a better and more fun way to ride a corpse down a flight of stairs, I would like to hear it! Maybe with some strong wire, it could be bent into the shape of a wheel, and then you get inside the wheel and roll down....

Tell me your method! She has a secret method! She's keeping secrets from the group! LIKE AN ORC!

Hips
Tuesday, August 29th, 2017, 1:13:12 PM

I don't like to see bodies profaned. I do not have a secret method.

I could give you some rad hair tips that don't involve giant curly blonde wigs, though.

Claudaro
Wednesday, August 30th, 2017, 8:18:06 AM

Votals:

@Estild - 1 - @Flimbo

Not Voting: @Maylan, @idlewanderlust, @hips, @Estild

Five alive, three to lynch. Dur to lack of discussion, a deadline has been set for September 5th at 6 PM EST.

Maylan
Wednesday, August 30th, 2017, 9:39:31 AM

Similar to yesterday, I call upon each of you to account for your whereabouts last night.

As for me, I was giving Fitzy here a make-over. (Maylan tilts her pet rock back and forth on the table, causing it to do a little dance). Afterwards, Fitzy and I discussed all of our hopes and dreams for the future as I slowly drifted to sleep. Last night I had a strange dream about rocks and orcs locked in a epic battle. The rocks won. As everyone knows, paper is the only thing that can really harm a rock.

Flimbo
Wednesday, August 30th, 2017, 9:57:49 AM

Flimbo pondered contemplatively for a moment while absentmindedly listening to Maylan. Discarding his ancient bread on the counter, he scrambled down from the bar and raced towards @Hips, stopping and standing uncomfortably close to her. He sniffed vigorously for a moment, let out a scoff, and then spoke,

"I myself was washing my TOTALLY NATURAL hair..."

he paused, throwing an angry glance upwards in @Hips' direction through his blindfold before continuing.

"...when I was shocked, SHOCKED to hear a big fat nothing at all even. And I hear all the things on account of being the Great Kobold's one true Herald. Whoever is the bad murderer, which is Estild probably, who shall hereafter be referred to as whoever, did it quiet. Estild is silent but deadly, like dog farts! And that's only one step below elf farts on the scale of evilness. I rest my cake."

Apparently finished speaking, possibly forever, though it's doubtful anyone would be that lucky, Flimbo rifled through his satchel before announcing "I'm out of cake..." with a mournful sigh.

"Also @Hips is possibly a murderer. I'm afraid she'll kill me because of jealousy. Also also, I'm afraid for poor Fitzy, who deserves a long, full life of peace. Plus Estild is definitely a bad murderer, not only just possibly like Hips."

Flimbo then quieted, standing perfectly still for a long moment. Then he began to twitch subtly. Then he began to twitch not so subtly. Then he began scratching his arms as if he had poison ivy,

"Also MARMOTS."

He sighed, relieved, then quieted down for good.

Estild
Wednesday, August 30th, 2017, 11:12:09 AM

I was standing right here, the same place I've been every night and the same place I'll be every night henceforth.

I also question anyone who rides a corpse down a set of stairs. The fact they were upstairs with the victim, and thus now able to ride their corpse downstairs, also makes them suspect.

Vote: @Flimbo

Hips
Wednesday, August 30th, 2017, 1:59:42 PM

You should get a wig like @Flimbo's for Fitzy, @Maylan.

As for last night, I was trying to keep an eye on everyone still down here at the tables. At least if I stay here, I can't get ridden like a sled.

I too am voting for @Flimbo.

He spends too much time caring about the marmots and not enough about everyone else here. He's also throwing accusations around. And... He just smelled me? WTF?!

idlewanderlust
Wednesday, August 30th, 2017, 8:40:18 PM

I was with the wrong crowd last time and I do not intend to make the same mistake again.

Maylan
Wednesday, August 30th, 2017, 9:27:59 PM

Okay well....

On the one hand, Flimbo just rode a corpse down the stairs. On the other hand, the last time we lynched the crazy person they ended up being one of us.

On the one hand, Estild is too quiet for my liking. And really, who stands around in the same spot all night with no sleep? On the other hand, I haven't seen him defiling any corpses recently.

Going with my gut on this one....

Claudaro
Wednesday, August 30th, 2017, 9:36:12 PM

"Alright, you hold him while I hoist him up." @Flimbo said to @Maylan. With the help of @idlewanderlust holding @Hips back, they pulled poor @Estild up and strung him up good.

As @idlewanderlust held @Hips back, @Maylan came up and said, "Thanks @idlewanderlust, we couldn't have done it without you." As he turns to inquire, a scimitar emerges from his chest, piercing his heart, he drops dead. An aura shimmered around @Maylan, revealing her orcish features.

"You mocked my hair, I can forgive that, but the marmots?" @Flimbo said, as he leap at @Hips and sliced into her. "You'll feed them good girly!"

The orcish mafia, @Maylan and @Flimbo have won!. Congratulations. I will be making a follow up post here in the next couple hours, outlining my thoughts on the game, and providing feedback to those playing. If interest is still sufficient, I will run another game with a new setup, for those returning, or any new players interested in joining.

idlewanderlust
Wednesday, August 30th, 2017, 9:37:48 PM

Well, that went well.

HJFudge
Wednesday, August 30th, 2017, 9:38:13 PM

At least I didnt die alone!

Maylan
Wednesday, August 30th, 2017, 10:03:58 PM

I got really into that! And thanks all for being a good sport. @HJFudge we reluctantly lynched you at night because you were really the only remaining choice.

-Couldn't lynch Hips because it would draw suspicion on Flimbo -Couldn't lynch Idle because it would have drawn suspicion on me -We figured we could convince folks to vote for Estild by playing up the whole "the quiet guy is the evil one" angle.

So you were the only one left!

Claudaro
Wednesday, August 30th, 2017, 10:11:03 PM

First, a general note. While there is normally flavor involved to make the game more interesting, and roles assigned, I have never seen such a level of RP dedicated to a game before. I said all along, I wasn't going to interfere or interject how to play, since that wouldn't be fair of me to do so. That said, if I were a town player in this game, I would have nipped that immediately. While it's good and all for fun and starting off, once you had some information to go on, people were posting entirely fluff posts with no real game context, talking about the setup, game, tells, scum hunting, at all, and getting away with it. This is commonly known as active lurking, you are posting and looking like an active player, without actually helping town win.

I am just going to go post-by-post and look for stand out things to me, that yes, with the knowledge of foresight as the mod, should have none the less stood out in a normal game.

First off, lets deal with Day one, and @0zymandius and his cop claim. First, you took him right to the cusp of being lynched immediately. He was a claimed cop, with no one else counterclaiming him. This should have made him a confirmed townie, and he never should have been lynched. His claim about having an investigation result was the result of him not understanding that game days and real days are not the same thing, but none the less, no one contested this claim. Lynching an uncontested town power role claim is very rarely a good plan, unless there is other information in play from other power roles, which in this case, there most certainly was not. The worst part was, the mafia didn't even have the dirty their hands on it, it was three town players who lynched him. This was a serious blow against the town.

Even towards the end, there was a lot of random voting, and voting for no reason. This was largely ignored come day two, and should have been looked at.

Oddly enough, I'd say @Maylan played the most like a town player this game, holding off on easy lynches, withholding voting looking for more info, trying to start discussion, that was not a good sign for town as well. The general low activity, short posts, and active lurking though using the flavor to RP with, severely hurt town.

All that said, @Maylan should have been lynched Day Two immediately! One of the most common scum tells out there, so common it's specifically documented, is the "oh, last night went bad!" humble brag from a mafia member in their post. This was a huge scum tell that was missed. She then told @idlewanderlust she didn't think they were mafia anymore, based on nothing. This should have been a red flag of a mafia player trying to buddy up with a townie by givng them "townie" status. @Flimbo basically did everything he possibly could do to make himself seem like an orc, and got away with it thanks to that buddying.

In the end, both sides made some big mistakes that I hope everyone can learn from, and hopefully everyone had fun and would like to play again when I post for a new game soon. Some specific feedback though.

@Estild and @Hips are the only two players that I knew of that played mafia before, though not in the forum format. As a general guide, on the forums its a lot of analysis and reanalysis of people's posts, trying to pick up inconsistencies, or possible scum tells. The general idea is, that on some level, people want to reveal their roles subconsciously, and that manifests in wording and inconsistent play.

@HJFudge random voting between players constantly is not a good town play generally. When done without reason, it makes you appear at best an unhelpful townie, and at worst, scummy.

@idlewanderlust You basically got bandwagoned the crap out of D1 due to the mafia targetting you with votes, since you were quiet. You were a case of low hanging fruit as it's called, meaning you were an easy lynch target. You even stated that scum were revealing themselves by voting for you, and in fact you were correct. A common observation is that third on a bandwagon (a rapidly forming vote against one player) is scum, and that was @Flimbo. While I think @Hips and @Estild picked up on that, you let scum buddying up to you sway you to their side. You should be more suspicious when someone calls you townie without having a reason, especially when they led a lynch on you the day before.

@0zymandius we already talked a bit in PM about this, for the benefit of others though, I'll go over it here. You should never claim to be the cop like this unless you have a scum result, or are about to be lynched. In some games, claiming to be the cop early on, and playing "follow the cop" is a valid strat, since the doctor can protect the cop at night, and the cop can collect results. In this game though, there was a mafia roleblocker. You never would have gotten a single result after claiming had the mafia played it right. You effectively turned yourself into a confirmed vanilla townie, who for reasons beyond me, was lynched despite no one counter claiming to be the cop.

This brings me to the Mafia players. Despite her massive scum tells Day two, I'd say the MVP goes to @Maylan this game. She worked out a number of strats for day town overnight, and made plans for her and @Flimbo to follow. Coupled with her largely townie play, I'd say she did well. @Flimbo if this game had a jester role (Goal, to be lynched to win) I'd say you were an awesome jester. As a scum member, I honestly don't know how you weren't lynched. This largely was the fault of the continued RP active lurking posts i'd imagine. This is a great example of why town players should be very suspicious of someone who active lurks like this, and not participate in it, or encourage it.

Overall, mistakes were made by both side, and either side could have won it. It was a good learning experience I hope if nothing else. If you have any feedback for me, any further questions on how to play, general strat, ect, please let me know. If you'd be interested in playing another round of it, let me know as well. I've had some outside interest, and I hope that others silently watching have grown more interested themselves, and would love to host a larger game next time, as it allows for more role diversity. Thank you for playing!

Claudaro
Wednesday, August 30th, 2017, 10:17:29 PM

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=JEEP%27sTellsforFindingMafia

The very common documented scum tells, as mentioned. Reading around that site is also a great tool to learn about the game in general.

Claudaro
Wednesday, August 30th, 2017, 10:30:13 PM

Another must read, or so I'd advise.

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Interactive_Tells

idlewanderlust
Wednesday, August 30th, 2017, 10:32:10 PM

So, from my perspective:

• The massive RP element took me out of the game. I didn't even read many posts- especially Flimbo's posts- because they were just nothing. But other people seemed to be enjoying it, so I didn't want to say anything and be the killjoy.

• I didn't want to kill 0zy, but I also didn't want to get killed immediately, so.

• It may seem like I got buddied, but I simply deduced I was on the wrong side and switched my vote accordingly. Nobody said anything to change my mind. I was looking for a signal of some kind, never got it, and went with my original thought in day 2.

• I'm not sure Maylan tipped themselves off with the "that didn't go well" post considering both myself and Estild did it first.

• My local meta is very different.

Flimbo
Wednesday, August 30th, 2017, 10:46:08 PM

Firstly, apt observations and I should technically be influenced by them for the next game.

Secondly, @Flimbo doesn't act in ways to seem more orc-like. Orcs aspire to be like @Flimbo.

Thirdly, I was not RPing. This is just how I am in real life.

Double-thirdly:

In the failing light of day, the Upper Trollfang was quiet, until a shuffling could be heard from behind the closed doors of the abandoned inn. And then, all of the sudden, the doors burst open, and instantly the Trollfang was awash in a sea of skittering and scurrying feet, as launched from its humble entryway came Flimbo, atop a sled born of lashed together corpses, being pulled by a team of Marmots. In a flash they were there and then gone, as Flimbo and his new bride Fitzy rode off into the sunset.

Thus concludes this game of Marmot Time Surprise, featuring Flimbo and his faithful sidekick @Maylan. This has been a social experiment to see how long it would take people to figure out that you were in fact not playing forum Mafia, but Marmot Time Surprise. This has been a successful experiment. We hope to see you all at the Marmot Day Parade.

TL;DR: A+ Seller. Fun game. Would murder you all and feed you to marmots again. Look forward to the next one. Thanks Claudaro!

Maylan
Wednesday, August 30th, 2017, 10:59:50 PM

Great analysis! As idle mentioned, I did the "bleak post" in an effort to mimic the posting style of the other townies. At that time it felt suspicious to just jump right into the game play when others were pausing to say "that did not go well." But as to my behavior towards idle, yes it should have been obvious the way I was flip-flopping stances when I was so adamantly against them the day before.

I actually think the bigger tell was the obvious collaboration between Flimbo and I on Day 2. At one point we used almost the exact same language to describe Estild.

I thought Flimbo made a smart move by switching votes to break a tie and vote for me. It was a harmless vote that counted for nothing, and a misdirection.

I thought the RP made the game play more fun - because after all we are a bunch of RP nerds. But i do agree that I was hoping for more active game content to make things more interesting.

I would 100% be interested in another game.

That being said.....

(Late one night, Maylan creeps into @Flimbo 's orc den. Silently, slowly, she runs her blade across Flimbo's throat. He gurgles incoherently as blood spills forth through his clenched fingers. Maylan kicks his corpse in the side for good measure, as this is what orc sidekicks do.)

Steal MY best friend, will you? I think not. @Hips was correct all along. I was in it for the wig. (Maylan places the now bloodied wig on Fitzy. They ride away triumphantly on a pookah, and live happily ever after).

Flimbo
Wednesday, August 30th, 2017, 11:01:02 PM

Hahaha. We have a winner.

Flimbo
Wednesday, August 30th, 2017, 11:02:00 PM

Figured I'd add: My whole goal this game was to act unpredictably and do everything I could do to publicly attempt to get everyone killed. I got almost everybody on day one. Missed Fudge by a hair.

idlewanderlust
Wednesday, August 30th, 2017, 11:17:29 PM

I'll admit. After the disastrous first day/night, I threw in the towel.

Flimbo
Wednesday, August 30th, 2017, 11:24:19 PM

I'll admit. After the disastrous first day/night, I threw in the towel.

IMAGE ALT TEXT

HJFudge
Thursday, August 31st, 2017, 12:24:35 AM

I wanna play again! As I said, never done this in a forum setting. Ive only played In the real lifes...and its very different there. So Im eager to once again try my hand and probably die/lose.

Estild
Thursday, August 31st, 2017, 10:27:18 AM

@claudaro said in Intrigue at the Abandoned Inn (Mafia Game Thread):

First, a general note. While there is normally flavor involved to make the game more interesting, and roles assigned, I have never seen such a level of RP dedicated to a game before. I said all along, I wasn’t going to interfere or interject how to play, since that wouldn’t be fair of me to do so. That said, if I were a town player in this game, I would have nipped that immediately. While it’s good and all for fun and starting off, once you had some information to go on, people were posting entirely fluff posts with no real game context, talking about the setup, game, tells, scum hunting, at all, and getting away with it. This is commonly known as active lurking, you are posting and looking like an active player, without actually helping town win.

Yeah, I have to admit that that I wasn't a huge fan of that aspect (not to diminish the effort that many of you put into it though, it was great), which is also why I didn't participate in the roleplaying or trying to justify "where I was". Neither of those are useful for trying to determine which team someone is on, which should be the focus.

@claudaro said in Intrigue at the Abandoned Inn (Mafia Game Thread):

First off, lets deal with Day one, and @0zymandius and his cop claim. First, you took him right to the cusp of being lynched immediately. He was a claimed cop, with no one else counterclaiming him. This should have made him a confirmed townie, and he never should have been lynched. His claim about having an investigation result was the result of him not understanding that game days and real days are not the same thing, but none the less, no one contested this claim. Lynching an uncontested town power role claim is very rarely a good plan, unless there is other information in play from other power roles, which in this case, there most certainly was not. The worst part was, the mafia didn’t even have the dirty their hands on it, it was three town players who lynched him. This was a serious blow against the town.

I'm going to disagree with this analysis. Even if I was the cop, I would not counterclaim him so early in the game. Anytime the cop comes forward, they immediately put themselves at risk to be targeted by the mafia. The doctor can only protect one person, so why would you immediately put yourself at risk to come forward to counterclaim - the doctor has to pick between you and someone else to protect at night, which are not great odds. In such a scenario, I find it's best for the real cop to immediately target the false cop (by encouraging others to lynch him/her) without coming forward. More so, from my perspective, @0zymandius accused me of being the mafia, which I absolutely knew I was not, so in my eyes, I was 100% positive he was the mafia since I knew he made a false statements. No matter how that round turned out, I was going to vote to lynch him every day until his death. Ultimately, the issue was due to learning the game instead of actually playing it though, which happens.

0zymandius
Thursday, August 31st, 2017, 10:30:21 AM

I'm going to disagree with this analysis. Even if I was the cop, I would not counterclaim him so early in the game. Anytime the cop comes forward, they immediately put themselves at risk to be targeted by the mafia. The doctor can only protect one person, so why would you immediately put yourself at risk to come forward to counterclaim - you put yourself at huge risk and the doctor has to pick between you and someone else to protect at night. In such a scenario, I find it's best for the real cop to immediately target the false cop (by encouraging others to lynch him/her) without coming forward. More so, from my perspective, @0zymandius accused me of being the mafia, which I absolutely knew I was not, so in my eyes, I was 100% positive he was the mafia since I knew he made a false accusation. No matter how that round turned out, I was going to vote to lynch him every day until his death. Ultimately, the issue was due to learning the game instead of actually playing it though, which happens.

Yeah... I was confused about 'night', and assumed that it was RL night. I'd intended to 'cast my spell' the first RL night, but got swept away with school and other stuff, so tried to cover my tracks (poorly). I'm chalking it up to a learning experience all the way around, and looking forward to giving it another try.

Flimbo
Thursday, August 31st, 2017, 10:43:22 AM

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with Estild's disagreement about the RP aspect of things. Firstly, without the RP aspect of things, there would have been 100% fewer marmots in this game, and that's a loss we can all agree is unacceptable.

Second, when I first started with RP posts I was doing so mainly to keep the thread moving because it felt like it had super stalled out at times.

And third, I dropped hints that I was mafia in my RP posts accidentally. The more you say, the more you reveal, regardless of what you're saying. I also dropped hints intentionally that were suggestive of a townie kind of feel, but if you really read into my RP posts, you'll see some slip ups that were super giveaways that I was mafia, both based on timing of post and word usage.

I think that the RP aspect can be both a solid tool to stay alive and also a double edged sword because you may say too much with your grammar. To the former, if what you're saying is interesting enough, funny enough, or otherwise engaging, people might just choose someone else to lynch over you because they wouldn't mind seeing what you have to say next. I'm not saying that was the case in this particular scenario, but the idea is sound enough.