Offensive Shield Mans for Little People

God
Friday, August 25th, 2017, 2:36:46 PM

G'day players, I'm trying to shield bash with my halfling warrior with his greatshield and I'm getting a outrageous maneuver penalty of upwards of -80?! Does this perhaps have something to do with the target? or is this because I'm a short? How big of a penalty do halflings,gnomes get when using offensive shield maneuvers?

Mogonis
Friday, August 25th, 2017, 2:39:03 PM

What was the target? Seems actual creatures have high perception or something and are harder to perform CMans against.

God
Friday, August 25th, 2017, 2:52:31 PM

Was a major spider. The servants, who are humanoid, had lower penalties but were still a whopping -56.

Roblar
Friday, August 25th, 2017, 3:18:39 PM

Alot of legs to knock them down efficiently, there is some mod for that. Also, penalty for halfling.

SpiffyJr
Friday, August 25th, 2017, 3:46:41 PM

Don't use offensive shield maneuvers as a halfling. You can sometimes get away with trample if you pick the shortest thing in the room but in general I'd stick with passive maneuvers. I'm a big fan of all things halfling but I would not pick halfling as a shield warrior intent on using the offensive maneuvers.

God
Friday, August 25th, 2017, 4:06:16 PM

@spiffyjr Great, thanks for the advice. I'm only dabbling with shorter races currently. I wonder if the shorter races have any distinct shield man advantages to offset for their lack of offensive capability.

SpiffyJr
Friday, August 25th, 2017, 5:02:29 PM

Nope, I personally think shields are kinda poop on small races unless you pick them up purely for defense. A shield/polearm using warrior is quite awesome as you can still reach the eyes of a lot of things. That said, trample can work if you pick your initial target well.

God
Friday, August 25th, 2017, 5:38:48 PM

@spiffyjr So, gotta be very tactical. You would think a small race would benefit more from coverage as obviously a tower shield would protect more of you.

Ososis
Friday, August 25th, 2017, 6:03:06 PM

@spiffyjr

I love shield trampling a rolton into all the capped bandits.

SpiffyJr
Friday, August 25th, 2017, 6:42:23 PM

@God yea, I just don't see the reason to pick a halfling if you're not going to take advantage of the agidex and go balls to the wall on offense. Lots of mstrike and big ass weapons (or UAC). I'm almost 65 and picked up 2 MoC enhancive ranks so my UAC will hit 5 times. I've had no problems so far just destroying shit before it can attack me. In Gemstone the best defense is a punch of punches to the face!

God
Friday, August 25th, 2017, 7:43:57 PM

@spiffyjr I'm slowly coming to the realization of how true this is, well I guess it's back to ye' ole perfect greatsword.

God
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 9:42:59 AM

This is a side question, I'm noticing my shield strikes sometimes hit the target but doesn't do any damage, roll was too, would a flare or spike from a shield go off in this instance? Anyone know?

Ososis
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 5:32:42 PM

If you get a 101+endroll the flares and spikes should have a chance to activate.