Official: Duskruin - August 2017

Alastir
Monday, August 7th, 2017, 6:52:48 PM
  • August more than likely. That is extremely tentative though. That's just following the same lineup as last year. It won't carry into September though.

Wyrom, PM

• August is a very packed month this year. We'd likely be looking at August 18th to the 27th. Again, tentative. Things can change from now until then. There are others who contribute to the final say.

Wyrom, PM

Alastir
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 12:49:47 AM

We are definitely opening the event August 18th. We are currently talking about extending the time to shop.

Wyrom, PM

Nocturnix
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 5:49:46 AM

Will the 49 tickets i have from last duskruin work with this one?

Sabotage
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 6:10:36 AM

If you mean booklets for arena/sewers, then yes.

0zymandius
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 8:19:13 AM

This is going to be my first shot at Duskruin... I'm officially looking forward to it a little bit.

viekn
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 8:34:11 AM

@Wyrom Any chance we see lightening/deepening notes in the sewers?

Alastir
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 8:46:38 AM

@viekn - If they become too common they will lose all value. I hope they don't release them in event after event.

viekn
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 8:53:06 AM

@alastir said in Event: Duskruin - August 2017:

@viekn - If they become too common they will lose all value. I hope they don't release them in event after event.

Good point. Although should we be worried about their value as far as silver to be made by players? I'd suggest that maybe the focus for them should just be to lighten and deepen our own stuff. I would think the original intent on releasing them was more so to take the burden off of GM's from having to do it so often, freeing them up to do other things that can't be done through certs, vs. giving the player base a way to earn more silvers. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding their concept, which is quite possible.

0zymandius
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 8:54:49 AM

What I want to see is flare/weighting/padding/AS/DS notes released for Duskruin. Just like the l/d notes, but with the other properties. Let's see a glut of +1 AS/DS notes come out that can't take something past 7x... even out all those +22 and +18 pieces!

Plus I dearly want flares for a few of my items. So there's that.

And if the GMs wanted to be truly diabolical (and I'd be fine with that), they could make the jackpot-level versions take things to 8x or beyond HCP or something, but attuned to the character that finds them. :)

Vishra
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 9:07:43 AM

I want that relic, but I just don't think I'm going to be able to afford it if it's as bad as the censors were last time

Alastir
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 9:21:08 AM

@viekn said in Event: Duskruin - August 2017:

Good point. Although should we be worried about their value as far as silver to be made by players? I'd suggest that maybe the focus for them should just be to lighten and deepen our own stuff. I would think the original intent on releasing them was more so to take the burden off of GM's from having to do it so often, freeing them up to do other things that can't be done through certs, vs. giving the player base a way to earn more silvers. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding their concept, which is quite possible.

Yes, we should be worried about their value. Because after everyone has used all the L/D to maximize their gear, what purpose do they serve then? That's one less reward they can offer at events like Delirium Manor. (Which has low value rewards besides the notes.) I agree that it helps to remove the burden from GM's, but you don't want to overdo it.

They also tend to run merchants who offer epic lighten and deepen during Duskruin for bloodscrip.

peam
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 9:25:01 AM

I think this will be the first Duskruin or similar event I actually participate in.

I can't wait for all my garbage finds.

Ososis
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 9:37:21 AM

Don't attend the first weekend of Duskruin, go camping, see the eclipse, spend time with family, head for totality. I can't believe that this was the choice they made and frankly I hope it shows up in their numbers.

viekn
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 9:39:24 AM

@ososis said in Event: Duskruin - August 2017:

Don't attend the first weekend of Duskruin, go camping, see the eclipse, spend time with family, head for totality. I can't believe that this was the choice they made and frankly I hope it shows up in their numbers.

What do you mean "choice they made"?

Ososis
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 9:44:09 AM

What do you mean "choice they made"?

I mean scheduling Duskruin over the eclipse weekend. It is a dumb choice.

peam
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 9:45:08 AM

IMAGE ALT TEXT HERE

Ososis
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 9:46:04 AM

@peam Yeah, pretty much how it feels.

Maylan
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 12:09:08 PM

Damn. I have some international house guests arriving on August 19th. Looks like I may need to sit most of this run out!

Roblar
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 12:19:15 PM

Silvers are not made by players for those L/D notes, it is transferred from player to player.

I also hope it is not dropped at Duskruin. And if it was, that it is rare and NOT only found in the sewers.

The automatons/ rare metals were not a significant drop and the pendants have dropped for awhile now. It may make more bloodscrip, but the arena can use love in loot too! I am curious on how the 3 vs 3 impacts bloodscrip reward and time to complete.

Wyrom
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 12:35:42 PM

Don't worry guys, we're rescheduling the eclipse.

Sacru
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 12:36:12 PM

Sorry, but I'll take Duskruin over a crappy solar eclipse any day of the week.

Ososis
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 12:37:49 PM

@sacru said in Event: Duskruin - August 2017:

Sorry, but I'll take DuskRuin over a crappy solar eclipse any day of the week.

Well it's not a "crappy solar eclipse". Do your research. Furthermore, you could easily have both.

allereli
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 12:38:42 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (except it's Duskruin, no camel caps)

HJFudge
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 12:39:34 PM

turns on Sun Engine, adjusting rotation of the earth around the sun to better accommodate the schedule of others

Sacru
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 12:44:08 PM

Well it's not a "crappy solar eclipse". Do your research. Furthermore, you could easily have both.

I'm aware this is not a standard eclipse. But still... Duskruin... solar eclipse... if I HAD to choose, come on... :)

@allereli said in Event: Duskruin - August 2017:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (except it's Duskruin, no camel caps)

Noted!! And, well, thanks for not REIMing me out about it!!

Badump!!

viekn
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 12:46:26 PM

Well, for a good portion of us, it's not even a full eclipse, so, meh.

Plus totality only lasts for a couple minutes.

Ososis
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 12:47:32 PM

Come on folks, nobody is arguing "we should have the eclipse instead of the Duskruin!"

I am just stating my opinion that scheduling the event over a national solar event of this caliber, where MANY people are making plans to enjoy it, was a dumb choice. It's awesome if you don't care, but it doesn't invalidate my point. Just because you don't watch football doesn't mean scheduling something over the Superbowl is a "good choice".

Skip the "Eclipse is not superbowl!" nobody is claiming that either.

allereli
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 12:48:19 PM

I would gladly take Duskruin over the Superbowl as well. Although I might break for the halftime show.

Ososis
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 12:49:17 PM

I would gladly take Duskruin over the Superbowl as well. Although I might break for the halftime show.

Nobody is asking anyone to choose between the two as they could easily be scheduled to not conflict.

Sacru
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 12:53:10 PM

@ososis I don't think anyone is making any real arguments for either side, just having a bit of fun with it. I think the fact that we have opportunity to make a decision between such things as eclipse/Duskruin/superbowl/etc is some indication that life is pretty good :)

That said...

^^^^^ Call me nuts, but yeah, this too :)

allereli
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 12:53:47 PM

Nobody is asking anyone to choose between the two as they could easily be scheduled to not conflict.

But there's no way to make it perfect. The eclipse is on the 21st. The most important part of Duskruin is the opening, which is on the night of the 18th. You should be able to do both. Otherwise, it runs for 10 days, and the eclipse lasts about an hour and a half. Not really a big deal in terms of overlap.

http://www.ajc.com/news/national/solar-eclipse-2017-what-time-does-start-how-long-does-last-glasses-how-view/4bzDtL3Zzb5TTBvlhw0VBI/

Ordim
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 12:55:48 PM

eclipse on one monitor, GS on the others.

Ososis
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 1:03:27 PM

Sorry, I wasn't super clear. Many folks are taking the whole weekend to head towards totality, camp, and spend a fun outing in nature. It's not the 2 hour eclipse or 2 minute totality, its the eclipse weekend (think 4th of july weekend) where many activities have been planned across the US.

Could it have been scheduled better? Maybe not. But that doesn't mean I have to be tits out for an overlap that has been obvious for...how many hundreds of years are they able to foresee eclipses?

0zymandius
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 1:31:39 PM

The most important part of Duskruin is the opening, which is on the night of the 18th.

For those of us who have never been before..... why?

Ososis
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 1:36:04 PM

@0zymandius

Assuming the High End shop opens on that day the prices for the things you want will only go up. I think sometimes it has waited till Monday to open, but it was open right of the bat this last run.

Friday, August 11th, 2017, 1:37:40 PM

@0zymandius said in Event: Duskruin - August 2017:

The most important part of Duskruin is the opening, which is on the night of the 18th.

For those of us who have never been before.....

Typically the first x hours of the event allow for the purchase of high end items without price increase increments for purchases. So all 7000 people can buy the extra 59 point of padding certs for 1k each before they start to get their increase of 700k per purchase.

allereli
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 1:38:42 PM

I bet a lot more people are going away for Labor Day

Ososis
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 1:42:12 PM

I bet a lot more people are going away for Labor Day

Yes, lots of things are things.

allereli
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 1:42:44 PM

well, delaying a week would overlap with Labor Day, so it is a thing

Ososis
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 1:43:42 PM

well, delaying a week would overlap with Labor Day, so it is a thing

I still agree. lot's of things are things.

Ososis
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 1:44:39 PM

@allereli

Fine, you are right. I have no reason to be upset about Duskruin overlapping something I care about and I should have never brought it up. Roger.

Wyrom
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 1:46:18 PM

We overlapped Labor Day last year. It was a bad decision. SimuCon was last weekend, if it wasn't, we could have MAYBE did it this weekend. There will always be something though. Sorry to those that want to travel for the eclipse. I am a space nerd, but I'm cool with the 90% I can get here.

allereli
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 1:47:13 PM

@allereli

Fine, you are right. I have no reason to be upset about Duskruin overlapping something I care about and I should have never brought it up. Roger.

it wasn't bringing it up, it was the insistence that it needed to be changed bc the entire country was going camping(???)

Alastir
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 1:47:25 PM

It could be cloudy on that day for all we know and you wouldn't be able to see it anyway.

Maetriks
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 1:56:54 PM

@allereli

I'm just curious... how many hours exactly are you going to be missing in Duskruin for the eclipse over a 10-day period of it being open?

Ososis
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 1:57:42 PM

it wasn't bringing it up, it was the insistence that it needed to be changed bc the entire country was going camping(???)

I have to admit I am getting frustrated explaining the things I am not saying. Its set, it can't be changed, I never asked for or expected it to be changed.

Ososis
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 1:58:47 PM

@maetriks said in Event: Duskruin - August 2017:

@allereli

I'm just curious... how many hours exactly are you going to be missing in Duskruin for the eclipse over a 10-day period of it being open?

Those 10 days are not created equal.

allereli
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 1:59:46 PM

I have to admit I am getting frustrated explaining the things I am not saying. Its set, it can't be changed, I never asked for or expected it to be changed.

Oh I'm sorry, it was trying to rally people to not go :D

Ososis
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 2:01:39 PM

@allereli

So where did your confusion come in?

allereli
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 2:07:20 PM

@allereli

Not sure, but actively trying to affect the bottom line of the event is worse. enjoy camping. Let me know if you want my baked apple recipe.

Maetriks
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 2:10:26 PM

@maetriks said in Event: Duskruin - August 2017:

@allereli

Those 10 days are not created equal.

No, but just like everything else for everyone else, people place a value of importance on things. I don't care for the eclipse, nor do several other people. We appreciate you value the eclipse higher but don't get angry with us that we don't share that view with you.

Ososis
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 2:19:40 PM

@allereli

Not sure, but actively trying to affect the bottom line of the event is worse. enjoy camping. Let me know if you want my baked apple recipe.

I preferred your post pre-edit.

sigh I am actively encouraging people to go to out and do something unique instead of getting sucked into the need of Duskruin. And yeah, I do hope the numbers back me up so that in 2024 GSV will try to avoid scheduling cool stuff over the eclipse.

Implying that I am "trying to affect their bottom line" is silly, and even if I were, the idea that I would/could with that post is reaching pretty far.

With as difficult as you have been to communicate with in this thread, I can't trust any recipes you would chose to send me. Though a thread for family/favorite recipes isn't a terrible thought.

allereli
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 2:21:41 PM

@allereli

I preferred your post pre-edit.

sigh I am actively encouraging people to go to out and do something unique instead of getting sucked into the need of Duskruin. And yeah, I do hope the numbers back me up so that in 2024 GSV will try to avoid scheduling cool stuff over the eclipse.

Implying that I am "trying to affect their bottom line" is silly, and even if I were, the idea that I would/could with that post is reaching pretty far.

With as difficult as you have been to communicate with in this thread, I can't trust any recipes you would chose to send me. Though a thread for family/favorite recipes isn't a terrible thought.

ROFL seriously, watch out for those #eclipsefanboys!

Ososis
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 2:23:12 PM

@allereli

Its totally fine you don't find have any care for the eclipse, but many people do. This really isn't as contentious as you are trying to make it.

HJFudge
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 2:24:12 PM

I dont understand what happened here. He wants to see an Eclipse. Let him see it.

allereli
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 2:25:51 PM

@allereli

Its totally fine you don't find have any care for the eclipse, but many people do. This really isn't as contentious as you are trying to make it.

how is hoping the event fails and encouraging people not to go not contentious? This is supposed to be one of their biggest money making weeks of the year

Taernath
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 2:25:56 PM

bantheeclipse

God
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 2:32:44 PM

Ososis just needs warm bodies for this vvv

alt text

allereli
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 2:35:25 PM

@hjfudge said in Event: Duskruin - August 2017:

I dont understand what happened here. He wants to see an Eclipse. Let him see it.

no one is stopping him from going. I even offered him the best baked apples in the galaxy to nibble on while the sky gets dark in the middle of the day.

Ososis
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 2:53:19 PM

@allereli

how is hoping the event fails and encouraging people not to go not contentious? This is supposed to be one of their biggest money making weeks of the year

Please stop misrepresenting my comments.

allereli
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 2:56:07 PM

okay, I'll let you speak for yourself

allereli
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 3:02:58 PM

@Ososis can you clarify what "head for totality" means please?

Ososis
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 3:03:12 PM

okay, I'll let you speak for yourself

And iv already explained and stand by my comments, so why is this dragging on?

HJFudge
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 3:04:27 PM

By totality, he means where the eclipse will be Total.

allereli
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 3:05:19 PM

thank you, it was a sincere question. I don't speak #eclipsefanboy.

Ososis
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 3:07:19 PM

@Ososis can you clarify what "head for totality" means please?

travel in the direction that will bring you closer to the line of totality.

allereli
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 3:13:10 PM

And iv already explained and stand by my comments, so why is this dragging on?

the 2024 comment made it really funny and it had to continue.

ETA: if this is happening again in 2024, is it that unique?

Ososis
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 3:14:49 PM

thank you, it was a sincere question. I don't speak #eclipsefanboy.

You really don't need to be shitty. I'm done responding to your needles.

Rohese
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 3:15:27 PM

Can I also throw in the fact that Fashion Week overlaps Duskruin opening weekend. So many choices!

God
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 3:33:37 PM

This is very speculative, but generally I don't see people finding anything too awesome in the first weekend. It's more toward the end that people start pulling the choice items. Could be just me psyching myself out?

Kembal
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 4:44:42 PM

@allereli The 2024 solar eclipse misses the entire western half of the US. I'm planning to go see totality during that one, since a) it'll be a lot closer to me being in Texas and b) my kids (well, it's a couple of months for the second one yet) will be old enough to understand what they're looking at.

I can see why @Ososis is upset about it, but at the same time, the schedule came out the way it did and we sometimes have to make choices about what we want to do. That's life.

allereli
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 4:52:30 PM

@kembal said in Event: Duskruin - August 2017:

@allereli The 2024 solar eclipse misses the entire western half of the US. I'm planning to go see totality during that one, since a) it'll be a lot closer to me being in Texas and b) my kids (well, it's a couple of months for the second one yet) will be old enough to understand what they're looking at.

Yeah, I just don't care about the eclipse. I get outside plenty on a normal basis and encourage regular escapes from the keyboard.

If some big gymnastics meet (an event that I would actually be interested in) was that weekend, I wouldn't expect scheduling to be done around that or get so upset as to encourage others not to support the game or have their fun in it, or say the event had better not be scheduled at the same time as the 2024 Olympics, because that's ridiculous.

and congrats on the kids!

Kembal
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 4:56:53 PM

btw, did Wyrom explain how the 3v3 battles will work? Do you select your team beforehand, or are you randomly teamed up as you enter the arena? If it's the former, I'm calling Roblar on my team.

allereli
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 5:02:14 PM

btw, did Wyrom explain how the 3v3 battles will work? Do you select your team beforehand, or are you randomly teamed up as you enter the arena? If it's the former, I'm calling Roblar on my team.

I'm not sure how it will work, but @Wyrom did say something about unequal amounts of BS, so if there's a situation of competing over potential BS, you can have @Roblar

allereli
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 5:24:28 PM

@god said in Event: Duskruin - August 2017:

This is very speculative, but generally I don't see people finding anything too awesome in the first weekend. It's more toward the end that people start pulling the choice items. Could be just me psyching myself out?

people find awesome things throughout the whole week

Kembal
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 6:01:34 PM

and congrats on the kids!

Thanks! Wife's due in October - my son's excited he's getting a baby sister. Pretty sure Duskruin's going to be my last GS event for a while!

Roblar
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 6:19:51 PM

Haha, we can probably try a run. If @Stormyrain doesn't having me sipping tea..

I'm not sure how it will work, but @Wyrom did say something about unequal amounts of BS, so if there's a situation of competing over potential BS, you can have @Roblar

Well that is interesting, in the stream I thought each person had their own scrip earnings.

@Wyrom what say you?? :D

Also, will it be possible for this 3 on 3 ticket to be purchased by one person (or 2) to battle the 3 in a hard mode (and is it more scrip or say 750 max possible scrip)? Is it 3 per round, approximating 25 total or just done after a simple 3? And so faster runs per slip?

Or should I ask on the officials?

LivderaDeralleur
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 9:44:57 PM

I wonder how hard it would be to code a total solar eclipse to happen in Gemstone on the first weekend of Duskruinn?

Double win!

And I'm also wondering on the 3v3 arena thing.

How are the teams picked? Are there level ranges? etc.

My Warrior is in his early 50s, level-wise, and not sure if I could find 2 other people in a similar level range to fight with.

Roblar
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 9:54:37 PM

@livderaderalleur said in Event: Duskruin - August 2017:

I wonder how hard it would be to code a total solar eclipse to happen in Gemstone on the first weekend of Duskruinn?

Not hard at all!

A Great Auction item already exists that has this ability (once a week):

a slim silver disk

This disk will allow whoever wields it to blot out the sun and plunge all of Elanthia into night for an hour once a week

Kalros
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 11:04:16 PM

@wyrom said in Event: Duskruin - August 2017:

We overlapped Labor Day last year. It was a bad decision. SimuCon was last weekend, if it wasn't, we could have MAYBE did it this weekend. There will always be something though. Sorry to those that want to travel for the eclipse. I am a space nerd, but I'm cool with the 90% I can get here.

Agreed. There will ALWAYS be something. You constantly schedule this in the middle of my busiest tax months. I hate you. I still manage to spend $1,000+. Maybe if you scheduled it when it was the most convenient to me, I would spend $2,000! Oh wait, I'm sure something else would be going on too. :)

Also, do people really make plans to go see the eclipse?

Kalros
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 11:09:45 PM

@kalros said in Event: Duskruin - August 2017:

Agreed. There will ALWAYS be something. You constantly schedule this in the middle of my busiest tax months. I hate you. I still manage to spend $1,000+. Maybe if you scheduled it when it was the most convenient to me, I would spend $2,000! Oh wait, I'm sure something else would be going on too. :)

Also, do people really make plans to go see the eclipse?

Oh I googled it. Eclipse seems cool. Doesn't last very long. Plenty of time to DR!

idlewanderlust
Friday, August 11th, 2017, 11:58:53 PM

@allereli

There are millions traveling just for this. It's a really big deal. Some tiny 200 population hamlet in WY is expecting up to 100,000 people.

Wyrom
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 12:01:17 AM

Something like the 3v3 details will be on the officials. It's coming. Very very soon.

allereli
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 12:12:52 AM

@idlewanderlust said in Event: Duskruin - August 2017:

There are millions traveling just for this. It's a really big deal. Some tiny 200 population hamlet in WY is expecting up to 100,000 people.

maybe it's a country vs. city thing? I don't get it, you're not even supposed to look at it and most of the safety glasses sold are fake.

Kalros
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 12:14:46 AM

maybe it's a country vs. city thing? I don't get it, you're not even supposed to look at it and most of the safety glasses sold are fake.

Google it. It's looks pretty epic. This is nothing like the eclipses we have seen.

HJFudge
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 12:14:46 AM

You can make your own pretty simply. Its fun AND unique! Its an excuse for people to get out and have fun outdoors.

Im not going because I hate the outdoors lol and I have the internet, I'll see it there :P

allereli
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 12:16:29 AM

Google it. It's looks pretty epic. This is nothing like the eclipses we have seen.

eh, I have a photographer friend. I'll wait for his pics. But I do get lunch during that time so I'll be on my usual walk out to the food trucks with my eyes closed.

Roblar
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 12:23:45 AM

eh, I have a photographer friend. I'll wait for his pics. But I do get lunch during that time so I'll be on my usual walk out to the food trucks with my eyes closed.

Don't fall down!!

Maylan
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 12:31:16 AM

Here is authentic video footage of the eclipse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcOxhH8N3Bo

allereli
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 12:32:22 AM

@maylan said in Event: Duskruin - August 2017:

Here is authentic video footage of the eclipse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcOxhH8N3Bo

so it's already happened! :D

HJFudge
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 12:34:12 AM

God dammit. I clicked on that :(

Maylan
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 12:43:57 AM

Try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XhpToLX6KQ

I actually remember that one from my childhood. Don't think we got totality in my area, but it was pretty exciting.

allereli
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 12:53:09 AM

Try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XhpToLX6KQ

I actually remember that one from my childhood. Don't think we got totality in my area, but it was pretty exciting.

eh, yeah, I'd rather sit and stare at a painting for 90 minutes or watch a good movie or read a good book or play GS or go to Bali

Luxelle
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 2:20:45 AM

baked apple recipe

Yes!! Ohmygosh, I love a good baked apple, Miss @allereli :)

I now return the topic back wherever it was going...

Candor
Saturday, August 12th, 2017, 4:29:00 PM

@wyrom

Don't worry guys, we're rescheduling the eclipse.

uh...to when? My solar glasses are only good for three years...

ArchSenex
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 10:49:37 AM

I prefer this version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsgWUq0fdKk

idlewanderlust
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 2:44:23 PM

On a more serious note, I see a lot of people make this event quite profitable for them. How do they do it?

Ordim
Sunday, August 13th, 2017, 2:46:21 PM

@idlewanderlust Get some entries cheap, knock out the arena and perfect it, sell BS in the start when its usually at its highest and most in demand, flip that for either more entries or money, rinse repeat as you have time/effort for.

Luxelle
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 4:06:47 PM

Duskruin Arena is 4 days away.

Remember what you need to know or ... learn it if you haven't been before.

The Primer: https://gswiki.play.net/DuskruinArenaprimer

The 3 v. 3 should be SO MUCH AWESOME!

God
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 4:09:10 PM

@luxelle Are we confirmed on the 3 v 3 PvP arena? Because if so, I'll buy tickets just to see Roblar fight. I swear to myself!

ArchSenex
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 4:09:53 PM

@luxelle Are we confirmed on the 3 v 3 PvP arena? Because if so, I'll buy tickets just to see Roblar fight. I swear to myself!

Watching is free.

Roblar
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 4:13:36 PM

@god

Yes, it is confirmed. And you don't need to buy tickets for that!

I'll probably mostly be doing solo matches anyway and that is also freely viewable ad nauseam.

allereli
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 4:13:55 PM

it's not PvP

Rohese
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 4:13:57 PM

I'd buy a ticket to that show.

Luxelle
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 4:51:06 PM

It was in the EMAIL from Wyrom. Can't get more official than that!

Also ... you don't need tix to watch. :)

Monday, August 14th, 2017, 7:42:42 PM

On a more serious note, I see a lot of people make this event quite profitable for them. How do they do it?

Ordim gave the tl;dr version of it, I'll give a little more verbose.

I can buy a booket for lets say 6m.

A booklet contains 50 tickets.

I'm pretty good, I have a nice bow. My bow has a nice quiver. Everything is nice. Know what's not as shiney as the bow? Critters in the arena.

If you can absolutely dominate the arena, you can earn 250 blood scrip per entry. Unusually an occasional 232 or so, but pretty much 250.

The price for silvers::bloodscrip is roughly determined by the sewers, which people can basically just loot pinata. You can get 150ish blood scrip per entry. It's really 100, but you get a bunch of garbage to trade for more BS, because it's BS, so you can end up with 100-150 super quickish.

So, if you just do the sewers, lets go ahead and say you'll end up with about 6k bloodscrip with 50 entries. Not bad! If I'm in the arena, I'll likely be pulling out of there with about 12k bloodscrip.

Bloodscrip pricing is ROUGHLY based on this, further modified by ebs and flows over the duration of the event. A rule of thumb of 1k per 1 BS yields 6m and 12m rates of returns on sewers versus arena. Therefore if we assume it's costing you about 6m per 50 entries. Well, if I max the arena, I'm walking away with a 6m profit. Which I can then turn around, buy TWO entry booklets, and rinse/repeat to make even more profits.

viekn
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 7:44:51 PM

You can watch from the stands without buying an entry as far as I know. I don't know how much detail you see as I've never done it personally.

Ordim
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 7:45:32 PM

@viekn You see everything as if you were in the room, in monsterbold.

viekn
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 7:46:28 PM

@ordim said in Event: Duskruin - August 2017:

@viekn You see everything as if you were in the room, in monsterbold.

Sweet. I think that'd be a viable avenue then for @God to watch Roblar tear it up.

Ososis
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 7:48:41 PM

@viekn Be sure to CHEER and YELL while yer watching. Everybody likes encouragement, and if you want a show let em know they are on display!

Luxelle
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 8:09:11 PM

I never quite understood the cheering ... if a spectator yells, does everyone hear it, or only the person they are watching?

People were yelling out instructions once when I was in there and I'm like ... WHAT?! I don't/can't/dare not do that!

So I don't know if they didn't like my arena technique or what. But I sure didn't have the time to stop and yell back to see who they were yelling at. :)

Maybe Mister Roblar can stop and have conversations in the Arena .... but not me. :)

Roblar
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 8:32:12 PM

@luxelle everyone hears it, at least in the pit. I forget about the stands.

But people in the pit do not hear the yells up from other combatants so they only hear the replies back down from the stands and so half the conversation.

It is ok now and then though sometimes can be distracting to the combat happening in the pit.

Combatants have the yell, cheer, pose, and (newer and mechanical) pray verb traps while down there. I forget if there are more its been awhile.

Ososis
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 8:47:05 PM

I think YELLing is heard by everyone, but CHEERs are directed to who you are watching in the arena? If I didn't hear you cheering me on, I assumed you weren't watching me when yellin, though that didn't always stop me from responding.

The person in the arena can simply speak to be heard(seen) by their spectators. I assumed YELLING was heard by everybody...I yelled some pretty violent things I would be disappointed if it didn't make it to my fellow competitors.

Roblar
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 9:12:17 PM

@ososis Yep cheers only go from spectators to the combatant they are watching I think, cheers from combatants go to all in the viewing rooms.

Yells from combatants are probably heard by everyone in the stands but not to other combatants. It didn't always used to be that way but I'm pretty sure @Wyrom changed it to reduce combat scroll for the fighters.

And yea, I sometimes just talk assuming they are still watching but probably I'm talking to myself abit which is cool, passes the (long) time.

Luxelle
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 9:54:00 PM

OK, for my arena matches ...

I'll assume all YELLS about positive things are for ME, and all instructions, critiques, and boos are for some other contestant!

:)

Sabotage
Monday, August 14th, 2017, 10:02:31 PM

@luxelle Pretty sure you can tell who yelled.

Sabotage
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 2:35:09 AM

I'm just going to give some quick bullet points on what to expect this run. I'll have more details before we go live, but I just don't want to make sure everything in QC is accurate before doing that.

Dates

The event will start on the 18th, but we're going to extend the event until the end of the month. Slips and tokens will not be available after 11pm (ish) ET on the 30th. We'll leave the event open throughout the 31st for purely shopping. The extension is mainly for shopping, but with the solar eclipse happening on the 21st, we're going to give people a few extra days who might be traveling for that.

Arena * 3 vs 3 matches. * Can also do 2 vs 2 matches. * Prizes are individual, but group benefits from winning. ** New drop will be available for certain service (vague on purpose).

Sewers * New bloodrunes. * Upped rate of caches (still very rare).

Shops * Book shop will be back. * New Spellbound x/day items. We're adding a bunch of offensive spells for the new magic item use updates. * Custom (premade) bolt messaging. * Unlock certificates you can REDEEM. * Slab roulette (from EG) will be here for bloodscrip. * New Illusion pins. * New high end scrip shop offerings. * This is something I really want to make sure is through QC before revealing. * Weighting/Padding will not be in the scrip shop. It will be handled a new way. * New shops. ** More on these when they exit QC.

Titles * New permanent titles unlocked at certain levels of play. Tracking started April 2017. Some of you will have a lot of them going into this run.

I know I'm forgetting something, but I want to make sure you guys have some information before I go to bed.

Enchant certificates are not returning this run. That was announced several times last run. Voln Armor unlock, Splitters, AsG changes, Animated Cauldron, and the censor are all items that are 100% retired.

~Wyrom

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Paid%20Events:%20Adventures,%20Quests,%20and%20SimuCoins/Duskruin%20Arena/view/7002

Sabotage
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 2:36:31 AM

@Wyrom I hope that is only temporary retirement and we can see some of those again at some point.

Mogonis
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 2:49:23 AM

I sort of remember the announcement about retiring certificates, but I vaguely recall him saying it's because they want to automate (like the notes?) that stuff instead of have GMs manually redeem certificates.

Ososis
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 3:08:24 AM

thanks @Wyrom

ArchSenex
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 6:49:35 AM

Pretty sure retired means permanently, from duskruin at least. The AsG changes, for one, were mentioned as un-automateable too. They have to basically scratch build a new item and something like that needs to be labor budgeted so they don't suddenly need to do multiple. Some of the other services are just more stable.

I think the stuff they plan to automate is just being described as not this run etc. Like enchanting and Some of the flares, once they get the scaling costs ironed out (I really want ironwright, for instance, but at plain 6x price, not 10x MCW rotflares price).

Ordim
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 7:47:54 AM

They were announced retiring with a wink wink nudge nudge "but we are working very hard on making them all certificate/scaling based on the item/unlock level!" which they are delivering on in some areas, just not everything all at once. I wasn't expecting new stores so that could be interesting. I really only have one high end need now, to finish my acuity upgrades, after that I'll just have the slow grind of slowly making things marginally better for crazy amounts of (insert random currency here).

Vishra
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 8:59:10 AM

Wyrom said repeatedly that we should expect most, if not all, certs to be retired last run.

There was no wink, wink.

Ordim
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 9:02:20 AM

@vishra In the same breath it was "we are working towards a more automated system" or "we had to price them out of reach because of the equipment that might benefit". The impression that I always got was those certificates would eventually become more automated, specifically the Voln armor because it is a tiered script.

Vishra
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 9:40:25 AM

@ordim There are lots of services they could offer. I think he was just talking about the system in general. He repeatedly emphasized the fact the things would be retiring because players got flame-y over Voln armor and the like. (I believe no one even bought a Voln Armor cert...after complaining endlessly that they weren't being offered).

It's not fair to Wyrom to read his statements as anything other than what they were on their face. It puts the GMs in a bad position. Again.

Evarin
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 10:00:13 AM

I just want to know if they're not going sliding prices beyond 2 items if anything is in limited quantity. Not that it matters much because i'm not walking in with any BS, but it'll definitely set my level of interest in this event depending on the availability of items.

Ashraam VanEyre
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 10:21:56 AM

Damn, I had hoped that enchanting would be the one service added to the automated system - not weighting/padding. Enchanting is what I was hoping to accomplish, so hopefully they can figure out that automated mechanic for the next run.

archigeek
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 11:01:58 AM

Most of the items that were requested and then not purchased were priced way too high. It wasn't that people didn't want them.

allereli
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 11:05:31 AM

@archigeek said in Event: Duskruin - August 2017:

Most of the items that were requested and then not purchased were priced way too high. It wasn't that people didn't want them.

this x10. I would have loved a voln armor unlocking, but the cost was insane and didn't allow me to go step by step, or just 2 steps, when I have a T2 already.

ditto on the chrism censer. The costs only sought to drain a lot of BS, which failed because they were so unreasonable.

ArchSenex
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 11:14:03 AM

@vishra In the same breath it was "we are working towards a more automated system" or "we had to price them out of reach because of the equipment that might benefit". The impression that I always got was those certificates would eventually become more automated, specifically the Voln armor because it is a tiered script.

There was a lot of stuff that wasn't retired, but isn't showing up. Only 5 things are on the list of completely retired.

yes, many of the things that may not show up this run are probably being retooled, but I'm pretty comfortable interpreting "100% retired" as being.... 100% retired. Not any coy teasing that they'll come back in another form.

Ordim
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 5:30:08 PM

@archsenex said in Event: Duskruin - August 2017:

There was a lot of stuff that wasn't retired, but isn't showing up. Only 5 things are on the list of completely retired.

yes, many of the things that may not show up this run are probably being retooled, but I'm pretty comfortable interpreting "100% retired" as being.... 100% retired. Not any coy teasing that they'll come back in another form.

I am referencing much older posts than the one within the past few days. And as others have said, most things didn't sell because of the price, it was priced that way because it wasn't set to scale on the item so they have to price assuming an amazing item getting the service. That is partially being addressed (it is yet to see what the prices will be) with the new weighting/padding system that is to be released. It was discussed that there would be a big push towards certificates unlocking per tier and we've seen that system implemented with certain items so far with what appears to be success (Doll cases, Dwiddly? pots) and the light/deep system.

At the time it was also posted by Wyrom that it was a huge pain to setup certs, which I took offense to that somehow their failure to create a system that wasn't a burden on them is somehow our fault? That comment was really poorly thought out. After a year + of working a highly successful system, maybe you should either just deal with it because its making you money, or spend the time improving it. Don't throw it on the customer that we are inconveniencing you with a system we have no control over. And of course, some of the certs didn't get bought because of the first paragraph. So everyone was in a no win situation.

Sabotage
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 5:39:12 PM

@allereli yeah I would like voln armor, but at 150k BS I wasn't going to get that at one event. I'm not Roblar.

allereli
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 5:52:31 PM

@sabotage said in Event: Duskruin - August 2017:

@allereli yeah I would like voln armor, but at 150k BS I wasn't going to get that at one event. I'm not Roblar.

In terms of speed in the arena, I am Roblar, in terms of stamina, no fucking way am I staying up all night for a week for it. It definitely forces you to dip into pockets and pay people to do the event for you. That goes over my line of what I'm willing to do and even makes it not fun.

Maetriks
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 6:25:25 PM

@sabotage said in Event: Duskruin - August 2017:

In terms of speed in the arena, I am Roblar, in terms of stamina, no fucking way am I staying up all night for a week for it. It definitely forces you to dip into pockets and pay people to do the event for you. That goes over my line of what I'm willing to do and even makes it not fun.

This.

Wyrom
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 10:51:50 PM

I am referencing much older posts than the one within the past few days. And as others have said, most things didn't sell because of the price, it was priced that way because it wasn't set to scale on the item so they have to price assuming an amazing item getting the service. That is partially being addressed (it is yet to see what the prices will be) with the new weighting/padding system that is to be released. It was discussed that there would be a big push towards certificates unlocking per tier and we've seen that system implemented with certain items so far with what appears to be success (Doll cases, Dwiddly? pots) and the light/deep system.

At the time it was also posted by Wyrom that it was a huge pain to setup certs, which I took offense to that somehow their failure to create a system that wasn't a burden on them is somehow our fault? That comment was really poorly thought out. After a year + of working a highly successful system, maybe you should either just deal with it because its making you money, or spend the time improving it. Don't throw it on the customer that we are inconveniencing you with a system we have no control over. And of course, some of the certs didn't get bought because of the first paragraph. So everyone was in a no win situation.

While I get what you're saying, there are a few reasons why we rotate items. When I say retire, I mostly mean rotate. There are a few things that are 100% retired though, like the enchant certificates, VolnArmor unlock, Splitter service, and Dark and Dangerous. I'd rather move the VolnArmor (and other tiered out mechanical releases) to some other events. Duskruin is a good venue for it, but offering things in unlimited quantities can get tough to balance.

We know what's out there for bloodscrip (roughly), so when we offer something, we have an idea of what can be bought at the start and end of the event. But we also don't want to make it where a snowball effect happens and people might not buy anything last event, but then suddenly they buy dozens to hundreds of something and catch us off guard. Each run has to get balanced.

As for your comment on our failure, it's more to do about investing my time into areas that are getting used. Would we rather create new arena mechanics or more automated redeeming mechanics? I chose to add new fun to this run. We're definitely trying to add more automation where we can. But just to suck it up and deal with it just leads to burn out. We'll keep plugging away until we have a better distribution method though.

Obsalyn
Tuesday, August 15th, 2017, 11:17:28 PM

@wyrom Main thing I'm curious about is the way weighting is going to be done and future of those items concerning further enchanting and ensorcelling. My two favorite weapons are the handaxe and the longsword. And I love the idea of being able to weight them and make them more viable then say a falchion or bastard sword. But I'm also concerned with the future of those weapons and if I can upgrade them as time goes on. I was super happy with the last run I did and I completely got my money's worth and then some, so I'm really looking forward to what's being offered this time.

Ordim
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 9:13:03 AM

While I get what you’re saying, there are a few reasons why we rotate items. When I say retire, I mostly mean rotate. There are a few things that are 100% retired though, like the enchant certificates, VolnArmor unlock, Splitter service, and Dark and Dangerous. I’d rather move the VolnArmor (and other tiered out mechanical releases) to some other events. Duskruin is a good venue for it, but offering things in unlimited quantities can get tough to balance.

It would be helpful if this was communicated the first time. This also isn't the first time where meaning is inconsistent between internal and customer side (w/ regard to "retire"). There are several things that come together on this. Enchants - People are still expecting more player options for enchant similar to what ensorcell can do. It was again hinted at but never expressly told "no dont ever expect that" or "we are working on it". Dark and Dangerous - It was clear from the final answer (after at least one start and stop on correcting it) that the 6x HCP/W armor/weapons weren't coming back, so no issues there. Voln, splitter were, for me, lumped in with the "we want to scale the price based on the item". If they will see increased chances elsewhere, that's acceptable and my problem for not have gotten it "easy" for whatever it would have cost to buy the booklets.

We know what’s out there for bloodscrip (roughly), so when we offer something, we have an idea of what can be bought at the start and end of the event. But we also don’t want to make it where a snowball effect happens and people might not buy anything last event, but then suddenly they buy dozens to hundreds of something and catch us off guard. Each run has to get balanced.

I know you mostly mean well but this something that I feel you've already lost any grounds on. Early on you posted that the limiting factors were how much people were willing to spend and the scaling process. There was surprise at how successful it was and what people were willing to pay. A large part of me wants to say "Take your lumps, you let the genie out of the bottle" and the other part is sympathetic towards the game as a whole. While it's fun to get the best stuff it also begins the cycle of power creep and demand for something new etc.

On top of that, there are people who do slowly build up and save up for the larger ticket items. It's not too dissimilar from the arcade prize analogy, except the prizes are always changing and you may not want something THAT run but now you have to wait until you come back and hope there is a prize you DO want. Where as someone might have been happy just getting the base script of something on the armor ASG best for their character. I don't deny there is a lot of different situations that might need to be thought of, so it's certainly not an envious task.

As for your comment on our failure, it’s more to do about investing my time into areas that are getting used. Would we rather create new arena mechanics or more automated redeeming mechanics? I chose to add new fun to this run. We’re definitely trying to add more automation where we can. But just to suck it up and deal with it just leads to burn out. We’ll keep plugging away until we have a better distribution method though.

The disconnect then is why it is so difficult to make a very similar object (why can't it just be cut and paste and replace the name and adjust the scaling numbers?) and if it's not bought you are out a few minutes of item creation (why not reuse the item from last time?) and if it IS bought the effort of actually working on the item is justified by the cost. I get that you have an NDA, so with that in mind, UP VOTE MY POST IF THE TERRIBLE CODING LANGUAGE IS HOLDING YOU HOSTAGE you don't have to say it, JUST UP VOTE MY POST. Otherwise - work smarter not harder, change the system etc. Look, we, I, don't know what you guys are dealing with. But as a paying customer, I don't ever want to hear the person I am paying say "You better buy this because it was a real burden for me to put a price tag on it".

I'll close by saying that while I may be a vocal complainer, I'm generally very happy with the game as a whole and only try to shine a light on the parts that I think should be "easy wins" for making things better. I try to point out greatness just as much as I point out things that aren't so great. Keep up the good work.

God
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 10:02:57 AM

@ordim Excellent post. I have always wanted management to focus on story oriented events to drive sales because even though churning out the shiny gear is an easy cash grab I don't see it being sustainable in the long run. It's not clear where the endgame is with this strategy in my humble opinion, time will tell I suppose.

ArchSenex
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 10:51:08 AM

@ordim

Remember that every script is a snowflake, made by different manufacturers over thirty years. Just because they can make a machine to change the tires on a yaris doesn't mean they can easily change the treads on a tank.

oh, and the yaris and tank weren't originally made with changeable tires, they were welded to the axle.

Ordim
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 10:56:43 AM

@ordim

Remember that every script is a snowflake, made by different manufacturers over thirty years. Just because they can make a machine to change the tires on a yaris doesn't mean they can easily change the treads on a tank.

oh, and the yaris and tank weren't originally made with changeable tires, they were welded to the axle.

Agreed and understood. And that opens a whole new discussion in some regards, but the concept of "unlock an item with another item" is proven. It's more the "What do we charge for unlocking 1 tier of something on 10x HCP armor vs 4x plain armor?" and the answer to that previously was "Price for the 10x HCP". I'm comfortable waiting for unlocking on tier (Which I feel SHOULD be the end game to free up more GM time for other stuff, like the Bank heist in DR....) but it misses the point of taking something away because it wasn't a popular item and then toss out an excuse like

But we also don’t want to make it where a snowball effect happens and people might not buy anything last event, but then suddenly they buy dozens to hundreds of something and catch us off guard

because while I held off on saying it before, that almost becomes a bait and switch at that point. The big unknown (on the player side, and maybe even the GM side) is what percentage of people save up BS vs spending it all at the same event they earn it, indicating that they are either saving up for something big or were not interested in the items presented to them at the time.

Luxelle
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 1:51:33 PM

except the prizes are always changing and you may not want something THAT run but now you have to wait until you come back and hope there is a prize you DO want.

This. And so I saved the rest of my EG tickets last year, only to learn they are now going to be general tickets for general stuff at non-specific events, but not the EG ticket prize wall.

:(

Alternate currencies are not high on my list of warm fuzzies this year.

Kalros
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 2:08:18 PM

It would be helpful if this was communicated the first time. This also isn't the first time where meaning is inconsistent between internal and customer side (w/ regard to "retire"). There are several things that come together on this. Enchants - People are still expecting more player options for enchant similar to what ensorcell can do. It was again hinted at but never expressly told "no dont ever expect that" or "we are working on it". Dark and Dangerous - It was clear from the final answer (after at least one start and stop on correcting it) that the 6x HCP/W armor/weapons weren't coming back, so no issues there. Voln, splitter were, for me, lumped in with the "we want to scale the price based on the item". If they will see increased chances elsewhere, that's acceptable and my problem for not have gotten it "easy" for whatever it would have cost to buy the booklets.

Ordim... Can you please stop? @Wyrom has communicated more then one could expect to be humanly possible. He's even answered your query multiple multiple times. I'm not sure how he could be more direct. I'm not around as much and I know exactly where he stands on these issues.

because while I held off on saying it before, that almost becomes a bait and switch at that point.

This sort of language is completely unnecessary and completely unfair. This is the type of talk that will make Wyrom communicate LESS and discourages GM engagement with the community. We all know how hard Wyrom and the GSIV GM staff works. Don't belittle them.

I can only assume you are trolling and/or trying to convince Wyrom he didn't communicate well enough so you can get some items you want back up. Please, stop with the games.

Roblar
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 2:10:01 PM

@luxelle Yes but it is a new festival ground, so that Feywrot Mire prize wall may not exist in the same form and inventory.

The general tickets older EG tickets converted to can be used at Delirium Manor for sure, maybe other places I guess we'll see which.

Luxelle
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 2:15:58 PM

Well, I know that now, Mister @Roblar :(

If they had been Feywrot Mire tickets, I would not expected them to be good for the next EG, because we knew that.

I ... made an assumption that seemed perfectly logical to me at the time. And alternate currencies are still not high on my list :)

archigeek
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 2:42:51 PM

@kalros If there's one thing I've learned running my own business it's that you don't get to tell a customer how they feel. That's for them and them alone. The best thing you can do is listen, and Wyrom is a pretty good listener. He and I don't always agree, but I think the conversation is pretty respectful both ways most of the time. The simucoin system, (and let's face it, the alt-currencies and alt-currency events are an extension of the simucoin system), is still new. While Wyrom deserves some time to sort out the details, feedback like Ordim's is vital to helping him do that, even if it seems a little blunt sometimes.

All of this is a part of the evolution to a healthy FTP system, which I think is really the only way we grow the population, and I think we can all agree that for the game to survive that has to happen. I'm willing to give Wyrom time to figure out a lot of stuff, but I'm also willing to listen to critical voices, and to be one of those voices as well, as that is just as important to getting to the best system we can have.

allereli
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 2:56:56 PM

I'm not sure if "bait and switch" has reached "slap in the face" status. @Wyrom?

Ordim
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 3:12:13 PM

This sort of language is completely unnecessary and completely unfair. This is the type of talk that will make Wyrom communicate LESS and discourages GM engagement with the community. We all know how hard Wyrom and the GSIV GM staff works. Don’t belittle them. I can only assume you are trolling and/or trying to convince Wyrom he didn’t communicate well enough so you can get some items you want back up. Please, stop with the games.

@Wyrom Doesn't need to you white knight for him for a civil discussion, which will have back and forths and include things like hypotheticals where you say "if this was true I would feel X or Y about it", which is what I said. I don't feel baited and switched, but I could see how others might, either with specific things or in general. You can identify and point out what you perceive as cracks in a system that you yourself are not subject to but others might. Some that have mentioned it in one form or another and some that haven't.

Part of his push to better communicate with the players, something he's mentioned more than once as a huge goal, this forum being proof, should include pointing out where there is ambiguity or inconsistencies. If you feel anything I said was unnecessary and or over the top, those feelings are your own and for you to deal with.

Kalros
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 3:28:12 PM

This sort of language is completely unnecessary and completely unfair. This is the type of talk that will make Wyrom communicate LESS and discourages GM engagement with the community. We all know how hard Wyrom and the GSIV GM staff works. Don’t belittle them. I can only assume you are trolling and/or trying to convince Wyrom he didn’t communicate well enough so you can get some items you want back up. Please, stop with the games.

@Wyrom Doesn't need to you white knight for him for a civil discussion, which will have back and forths and include things like hypotheticals where you say "if this was true I would feel X or Y about it", which is what I said. I don't feel baited and switched, but I could see how others might, either with specific things or in general. You can identify and point out what you perceive as cracks in a system that you yourself are not subject to but others might. Some that have mentioned it in one form or another and some that haven't.

Part of his push to better communicate with the players, something he's mentioned more than once as a huge goal, this forum being proof, should include pointing out where there is ambiguity or inconsistencies. If you feel anything I said was unnecessary and or over the top, those feelings are your own and for you to deal with.

I'm not white knighting. I'll be the first to call BS when I see it. You should know me better then that. I'm 100% certain part of his push to better communicate with players did not include nitpicking his language use of "retired" or "rotating". Especially when he's talked about this very subject many many many times.

You do realize that things change and some answers cannot be certain?

And your statement simply cannot apply here: "If you feel anything I said was unnecessary and or over the top, those feelings are your own and for you to deal with." I could say the very same thing to you about my posts, putting us both back at square one.

Ordim
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 4:09:19 PM

I’m not white knighting. I’ll be the first to call BS when I see it. You should know me better then that. I’m 100% certain part of his push to better communicate with players did not include nitpicking his language use of “retired” or “rotating”. Especially when he’s talked about this very subject many many many times.

I'm sorry you don't feel that pointing out that this is not the first time there has been a communication issue is important. Many people do, many people before I ever posted. Most of them on the officials, I'm simply saying "Hey, here's another example that might help you refine your process".

They sure do, communicating how when and why are all important, we don't need to get into the laundry list of requests that are related to this both good and bad. I haven't been here long, but there is a group who seemed to be "I'll believe it when I see" in regards to projects based on outstanding announced changes and projects that have only partially delivered or been delayed for a long time. The projects that I have been around to see from announcement to completion have been a majority success, some have only partially delivered. I generally am very pleased with the game I play and continue to spend money on it.

And your statement simply cannot apply here: “If you feel anything I said was unnecessary and or over the top, those feelings are your own and for you to deal with.” I could say the very same thing to you about my posts, putting us both back at square one.

I can only assume you are trolling and/or trying to convince Wyrom he didn’t communicate well enough so you can get some items you want back up. Please, stop with the games.

I'm going to invoke the "he who smelt it dealt it" defense on this one.

I have no problem having frank discussions with people/GMs. I've taken my knocks when I've done stupid stuff in game and don't begrudge anyone for the things said or done. There were no personal attacks made and none will be made because they don't get anyone anywhere. It's very much possible to have a discussion on this level and still walk away at the end friendly and civil.

Sacru
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 5:08:16 PM

I'm 100% certain part of his push to better communicate with players did not include nitpicking his language use of "retired" or "rotating". Especially when he's talked about this very subject many many many times.

I can see your argument. And we can probably all agree that if we are to be respectful and aware of GM time constraints, we will all work harder to make our communication with them more efficient, by doing stuff like boiling down our thoughts into a small digestible nugget, receive reply, form perhaps one additional response, and move on. I don't think that @Wyrom or anyone else is looking to get dragged into one or more endless conversations / ego-based / otherwise-inefficient pissing matches.

Either way, it's nice to have these forums as an outlet for direct GM communication. Huge step forward. Let's use it!!

Kalros
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 5:13:13 PM

I’m not white knighting. I’ll be the first to call BS when I see it. You should know me better then that. I’m 100% certain part of his push to better communicate with players did not include nitpicking his language use of “retired” or “rotating”. Especially when he’s talked about this very subject many many many times.

I'm sorry you don't feel that pointing out that this is not the first time there has been a communication issue is important. Many people do, many people before I ever posted. Most of them on the officials, I'm simply saying "Hey, here's another example that might help you refine your process".

They sure do, communicating how when and why are all important, we don't need to get into the laundry list of requests that are related to this both good and bad. I haven't been here long, but there is a group who seemed to be "I'll believe it when I see" in regards to projects based on outstanding announced changes and projects that have only partially delivered or been delayed for a long time. The projects that I have been around to see from announcement to completion have been a majority success, some have only partially delivered. I generally am very pleased with the game I play and continue to spend money on it.

And your statement simply cannot apply here: “If you feel anything I said was unnecessary and or over the top, those feelings are your own and for you to deal with.” I could say the very same thing to you about my posts, putting us both back at square one.

I can only assume you are trolling and/or trying to convince Wyrom he didn’t communicate well enough so you can get some items you want back up. Please, stop with the games.

I'm going to invoke the "he who smelt it dealt it" defense on this one.

I have no problem having frank discussions with people/GMs. I've taken my knocks when I've done stupid stuff in game and don't begrudge anyone for the things said or done. There were no personal attacks made and none will be made because they don't get anyone anywhere. It's very much possible to have a discussion on this level and still walk away at the end friendly and civil.

I think the disconnect here is that I've seen this conversation multiple times and his responses. It's possible you haven't seen them because the communication has been scattered throughout the officials, in game, and also on PC forums. So it looks to me like you are just beating a dead horse, when perhaps a different reason is you've not seen his responses to these questions.

If anything, this conversation just proves that these forums are an awesome idea. :)

God
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 5:13:57 PM

All I want to know is will we be getting a peek-a-boo in the hoppers for the sewers?

...Or am I mistaking this for DM and there isn't a hopper? Not sure, this will be my first Dusk, are all the cool stuff purchased through BloodScrip, is that how it works?

ArchSenex
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 5:19:10 PM

Duskruin has no hopper. The random loot is just normal treasure system, should be nothing Jackpot like in that avenue.

God
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 5:40:55 PM

@archsenex Ah, cool cool. So, I guess the Bloodscrip is what we're after then.

Maylan
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 5:43:45 PM

@archsenex Ah, cool cool. So, I guess the Bloodscrip is what we're after then.

Exactly. You grind scrip to buy cool things from the shops in the village. This is not to be confused with the Duskruin dig event, which does have a hopper for prizes.

God
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 5:47:18 PM

@maylan There's that cool moonshard thingie too I'm interested in. I really want to see Roblar rip it up though, my highlight for the festival.

Sabotage
Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 7:01:52 PM

@kalros

I'm not white knighting. I'll be the first to call BS when I see it. You should know me better then that. I'm 100% certain part of his push to better communicate with players did not include nitpicking his language use of "retired" or "rotating". Especially when he's talked about this very subject many many many times.

And your statement simply cannot apply here: "If you feel anything I said was unnecessary and or over the top, those feelings are your own and for you to deal with." I could say the very same thing to you about my posts, putting us both back at square one.

Yeah, lets not assume words mean what they mean and assume they mean the opposite..

Ashraam VanEyre
Thursday, August 17th, 2017, 1:49:02 AM

There're a couple high end items that only drop in the sewer. The golvern segment, and the exclusive bloodrune. Be sure to hang onto those! While there is no jackpot in this case, they tend to show up in very limited quantities.

Lochiven
Thursday, August 17th, 2017, 8:05:19 PM

@Wyrom,

Have you contemplated coding a counterpart to rotflares at all? On one hand rotflares would be one of the few ways to upgrade my weapon..but something more holy in nature would be far more fitting flavorwise.

Wyrom
Thursday, August 17th, 2017, 8:22:42 PM

I'm evil, so I have a hard time wrapping my head around good stuff. Haha!

Ashraam VanEyre
Thursday, August 17th, 2017, 8:26:41 PM

With all the flare related / conflicting high-end items, will it be possible to have existing flares removed or replaced?

Rohese
Thursday, August 17th, 2017, 8:29:51 PM

@wyrom said in Official: Duskruin - August 2017:

Where's the downvote option when you need one?!

Leafiara
Thursday, August 17th, 2017, 8:31:55 PM

You made the Castlevania whip, so just ste--borrow more ideas from there!

Sabotage
Thursday, August 17th, 2017, 8:42:24 PM

Just focus on releasing more rotflares. Also price?

allereli
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 1:39:37 AM

@sabotage said in Official: Duskruin - August 2017:

Just focus on releasing more rotflares. Also price?

250k BS, 5 available

Lochiven
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 6:05:56 AM

@wyrom

Ok, what about making gory scripts play nicely with combat scripts? I've resisted getting bubble flares on my warrior's weapon as I love the fully unlocked gory too much. With greater elem flare certs available...would that play nicely with mood flaring boots?

Wyrom
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 12:52:17 PM

@lochiven said in Official: Duskruin - August 2017:

@wyrom

Ok, what about making gory scripts play nicely with combat scripts? I've resisted getting bubble flares on my warrior's weapon as I love the fully unlocked gory too much. With greater elem flare certs available...would that play nicely with mood flaring boots?

It's actually on my list. SimuCon sadly ate a bit of my time, so I wasn't able to complete it by today. After Duskruin is open, I'm going to try to push through it.

Ashraam VanEyre
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 1:34:59 PM

I wish there was a cert to change the flares of an item. I want my earth flares to be disintegration flares!

Ordim
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 3:23:25 PM

a reasonable response from Wyrom, not fully in agreement with prices but waiting to see how the weighting/padding thing ends up working out.

Evarin
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 3:32:21 PM

QUOTE From Wyrom: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Paid%20Events:%20Adventures,%20Quests,%20and%20SimuCoins/Duskruin%20Arena/view/7143

Going to answer a few questions and concerns that came up in various areas here.

X/day charges

I forgot to add that all the new x/day items are 20 charges. So they will be pretty useful, compared to something only good for 1 or 2 charges.

TITLES

I forgot to mention that the temporary titles are completely gone this run. We added 19 permanent postname titles and 6 prename titles. All your accomplishments from April will go toward unlocking these titles.

High End Scrip Shop: Prices

There are a few things here when we go into the pricing. The biggest concerns are always things like over-availability. We experiment a lot when it comes to pricing. Not just with pay events. But for Duskruin specifically, we try to let the market control itself, which is really hard to do. We get one shot to handle it properly. Look at Dark and Dangerous as an example of what can go wrong. Whether you think the price was fair or not, look at how we struggled with that one.

There is also a sense of panic when we release something we weren't confident to release in large quantities. After each run, we look at the numbers that sold and decide if we want to roll the dice again. Not in all cases we feel comfortable with giving it another try. We do not look at banked bloodscrip as a pricing structure for items. And millions aren't accumulated on single characters or even players. The circulation of bloodscrip isn't that deep.

Item pricing in the Scrip Shop is also not intended to be flipped in many cases. You look at the market in the beginning of the event, and yeah, those prices are tough to swallow if you're buying bloodscrip from other players. I saw people using 1500 silver per bloodscrip in a discussion. But come next week, it drops to under 1000 per bloodscrip. Every run has been the same. This is very normal in limited markets. Not just in this game.

High End Scrip Shop: Rotate vs. Retire

I feel like I'm being confusing here, because I'm inside my own head when I talk about these things. Part of the reasons are described above why we might retire something. But one thing I know I'm not being clear on is rotating. That's on me and I apologize for that. Mostly rotate means to rotate to another event. Sometimes we might rotate them back into Duskruin after we solved why we pulled them in the first place.

I'll use two examples of items that feel good at Duskruin, but it's tough to solve the release distribution. VolnArmor and IthzirArmor. Both are high demand unlocks. Armor can have a lot of properties. Enchant, padding, TD, AS bonus, bless, flares, spikes, banes, temp (everything), and a bunch of other very specific things. We generally have to price things with many of those properties in mind. When we move into more automation, we have to account for it. We were going to try for that this run, but it's a lot of stuff, and it just didn't make it into the final production of Duskruin. Those two services are a bit better when we limit offerings by other means (raffles, auction, spinners, etc). Until we can solve that component, it's hard to offer those things at Duskruin at a price point that is more appealing to a wider variety of players.

Item Limits

The Scrip Shop has a one certificate per item rule, but the weighting, padding, and sighting area is not part of that. And the 25 services per item will make sense when more information is released there.

Closing Notes

I know the way I post sometimes comes off as arrogant to some of you. I'm not an arrogant man. I'm very humbled to be honest. I work on this game because I want to see it prosper. I work at all staffing levels personally and I'm very hands on. When I post something that you feel should not be said by the Product Manager, it's not that I'm being snide. I'm being honest with you. I don't sugar coat it or manipulate the words. Sure I spend some time choosing my words, but I rather be honest with you and myself. I could do what other companies do and have my responses go through some sort of QC and approval (if you didn't know that, now you do), but it would likely stifle communications pretty severely.

I know people don't play this game specifically for Duskruin. There are things you enjoy with GemStone IV outside this. If this event disgusts you or a specific aspect of this event disgusts you, I hope there is still enjoyment elsewhere in the game. I feel that we have people who get upset that OTHER people will buy items or have fun. I never understand that mindset, but it's real.

I want you guys to have fun. Focus on what is fun for you. Ignore the rest! Good words to live by even outside this game.

Wyrom, PM

Evarin
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 3:33:12 PM

QUOTE from Wyrom: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Paid%20Events:%20Adventures,%20Quests,%20and%20SimuCoins/Duskruin%20Arena/view/7144

TLDR; Too much banked bloodscrip means prices are going to continue to increase, which means less people see value, which means more banked or less participation and profit, creating a really bad cycle which will lead to failure.

I debunked this in my previous post, but this is not why prices on some things are high.

You're offering greater elemental flare certificates, but they require the weapon to already be flared. That means for people like me who planned to add it to a plain high enchant weapon, this is no longer an option. Certificates should just add the service without any of the pre-reqs. Voln armor was another example of a failed certificate because of the required pre-reqs.

Not sure I follow this one. This was just announced. Who was planning anything? The item just needs to have the flaring spot available here. We can see about offering a removal service at some point.

Can greater elemental flaring certs apply to a flaring, fusion-weapon?

Nope. De-fusuon still is there though.

Wyrom, PM

Evarin
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 3:43:11 PM

QUOTE From Wyrom: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Paid%20Events:%20Adventures,%20Quests,%20and%20SimuCoins/Duskruin%20Arena/view/7147 (and post 7148)

Can you elaborate a bit on this? Initially I was under the impression that it would be the usual feeder at EG, but the mailer made it seem like it might be something else. Can we turn the ore we win in the arena into slabs? Thanks!

The forging slabs are separate from the arena ores. This works strictly like they worked at Ebon Gate, for bloodscrip. It was requested, we fulfilled that request.

I don't think this fully explains why other people are upset, I think it's more that if you do not enjoy Duskruin, and do not enjoy the rat race for bloodscrip, and just wish you could use your silvers to get high end services like padding, flares, etc., you can't. That's not possible anymore. If people aren't interested in participating in this event or scrambling in the secondary market for BS, they've been effectively shut out of all opportunities for high-end services. Yes, there was the auction last year, but that was the first time in 8 years(?) and it was mostly all items. Yes, there is SimuCon, but you have to travel to St. Louis. The obstacles are real.

We still offer high end services and items outside pay events. The difference is we have 6 pay events each year, instead of 2 or 3 like previous years. We offer more now outside pay events than we ever did before.

Wyrom, PM

Evarin
Friday, August 18th, 2017, 3:59:58 PM

QUOTES from GM Wyrom: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Paid%20Events:%20Adventures,%20Quests,%20and%20SimuCoins/Duskruin%20Arena/view/7154 (+ posts 7156 and 7157)

So the increased cost of high-end items doesn't have to do with banked bloodscrip, but controlling availability? I don't understand how the increased cost does that when there's a limit put on the certificates available. It just makes the items less accessible to more people.

Nothing is getting gradually more expensive. Like Undead Bane, for example, has been that price since we offered it.

It's the same when we spin for 1 winner, we still control the availability.

I've never seen a calendar item for Ithzir unlocking.

IthzirArmor and VolnArmor are not very available at anything. RtCF/CCF really was the last time we offered those.

What I was saying is, we haven't stopped offering allotments of services at any other non-pay event venue.

I'm not sure what the "who was planning anything?" refers to, but I said I was planning to put it on a runestaff, and the OP said he was planning on a high enchant plain weapon. While the service was just announced, we do think about what we're going to do with items way in advance. I've been sitting on this staff for about 2 years and awesome non-acuity flares (bc I already have those) were high up on the list.

That was a pretty last minute addition that MEKK1 suggested. My response was directed at the quote though. "I was planning on doing this on X item." But the announcement was the first time it was shown. Not sure how anyone planned that to even be a service.

As for the item needing flares, that was more it has to have those flares to even work. You can't have a blessable greater elemental flaring weapon.

that's not true, both were offered at EG last year. Part of why I put in all of the effort to make the list is to track things like this.

I meant in larger quantities. VolnArmor was released at RtCF.

Wyrom, PM

LivderaDeralleur
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 1:35:09 PM

Is it just me or are the creatures a lot faster at resetting to a new trap now?

I swear by the time I type 'WATCH', comprehend what action I am supposed to do and type it, the creature has already gotten me with the trap. And I very rarely got hit with traps last time. (The only time it happened before is if I was stuck berserking when a new round happened and the creature didn't die.)

There have also been times where I am certain I typed the correct action but the creature acted like I did the wrong thing.

I can only assume they were tweaked upwards due to the Lich script that watches traps, but I dunno.

@Wyrom Were there any changes to the trap mechanics in the arena?

Ososis
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 2:17:34 PM

I think now if you watch too soon, you screw up being able to watch. I saw some strange messaging about the critter watching you too closely for you to watch it.

Wyrom
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 3:38:48 PM

No mechanics changed with the traps at all. From my end, I'm seeing people just miss when they reset. They have a chance to reset every 4 seconds.

LivderaDeralleur
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 4:16:16 PM

Mm. Maybe it's just me. It seems they reset their trap a whole lot faster than last time for whatever reason.

Roblar
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 5:17:19 PM

Yea I do it manually and have not seen any changes. That other messaging is if you input the wrong verb and blow your chance to watch it. Just kill that one in that case.

You also do not need to watch every single one if other speed factors are within whatever tolerance to max scrip. (I do every other or 2/3 maybe to be safer)

ArchSenex
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 5:18:45 PM

I just reviewed arenawatch, it makes a bad assumption that monster traps never reset. If you're using it, use at your own peril.

Alastir
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 5:19:22 PM

Monster traps have always reset, just for the record. If you killed them fast enough it didn't matter, but if you didn't, you'd get hit.

ArchSenex
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 5:20:59 PM

I remember a bug many runs ago where they could reset as quickly as 1 second later, but that was fixed.

Evarin
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 5:42:08 PM

QUOTE from GM Wyrom: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Paid%20Events:%20Adventures,%20Quests,%20and%20SimuCoins/Duskruin%20Arena/view/7255 (+7257, 7258, and 7259 )

Re: ClimateWear tier 3 unlock.

Okay, price adjusted to 20,000 bloodscrip. Still price scaling and limited though.

I don't understand why the high defense. The troll is obviously in offensive stance. Let alone, he is disarmed. Is there any chance to make this a bit more fair and realistic if this is intentional please?

The trolls are intended to be a tougher creature for melee/ranged. Spellcasters also have tough creatures. There are tactics you can use to bring down their DS.

On the topic of bugs though, two times last night I saw my script set me up to dodge the attack of a snow crone then instantly got pushed into said trap. The first was a torch and the second was a spiked pit. Happened back to back, I don't recall ever getting nailed by a trap after getting setup to dodge it in the past.

Nothing changed with traps, only that on the user end, a specific script is not working as it once did. Traps become frequent once a creature is injured. In a team match, this means it could be 3 times faster.

Quality of Life requests for the arena:

1) Can you put the 'round 2' etc. notice after we've killed a creature - the screen scroll makes it very hard to see the round number after the critter walks into the room.

Try using the CombatBrief flag to help with scroll.

2) Can you have the janitor clean the room before the next combatant arrives? When people leave arrows on the ground, this causes a lot of confusion for archers who use different arrows.

This was the case until we gave a QoL improvement to help archers recover their arrows. Prior to that update, the room was cleaned up entirely.

Question:

With regard to eye criticals - is a rank 3 eye crit always meant to cause a rank 3 head crit as well? It seems like this should be a bug, since they are in two different locations. This is important because if I "miss their eyes"(i.e., I induce a rank 3 on both eyes without killing them), I cannot aim for the head any more either. Issue is for champions mostly. Seems like a bug, but is this intentional? I apologize if this is written elsewhere, I cannot search this forum efficiently.

Yes. Both occur.

We're aiming to open the bloodforge on Sunday, which houses the smithy. The updates to the system have to happen first though. This gives everyone plenty of time to earn an invite!

Wyrom, PM

Ashraam VanEyre
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 5:46:12 PM

I'm still not sure that the 20,000 BS climatewear upgrade comes with feature concealing. Does it? Because right now when I analyze my climatewear cloak, it says it's "fully unlocked" with 12 verbs (and has a custom hood). I believe the feature concealing piece adds 4 more verbs.

Ordim
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 5:55:56 PM

no, the custom hood is the feature concealing part.

LivderaDeralleur
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 6:19:32 PM

And yeah. I know traps have always reset. Perhaps I'm just not having as much luck in killing them before they reset the traps. I'm golden getting the first one in, though I seem to be unlucky and just miss the messaging when the first one goes off and then I'm late 'WATCH'ing for the next trap.

@Wyrom Any idea what the heck went on here? I ran out of time yet was defeated? I'm assuming perhaps I bled out, though I didn't think I was that low on health.

An announcer shouts, "Round 21, send in another one!" An iron portcullis is raised and a large-tusked wooly mammoth enters the arena!

watch You appraise the situation and notice the wooly mammoth may push you into a lit torch, you could try to duck down!

A large-tusked wooly mammoth stomps at you with its foot! AS: +303 vs DS: +267 with AvD: +15 + d100 roll: +92 = +143 ... and hits for 5 points of damage! Hit glances off your hip. duc You set yourself up to duck out of the wooly mammoth's way! ber Everything around you turns red as you work yourself into a berserker's rage! You assault a large-tusked wooly mammoth with an unrelenting fury! You swing a perfect mithril sledgehammer at a large-tusked wooly mammoth! AS: +362 vs DS: +234 with AvD: +43 + d100 roll: +89 = +260 ... and hit for 82 points of damage! Left elbow smashed into a thousand pieces. The wooly mammoth is stunned! You swing a perfect mithril sledgehammer at a large-tusked wooly mammoth! You feel a bit of luck touch you. AS: +362 vs DS: +214 with AvD: +43 + d100 roll: +54 = +245 ... and hit for 75 points of damage! Right elbow smashed into a thousand pieces. You've been defeated. You'll be dragged out of the arena in a moment! The wards around the arena protect your magic. An announcer shouts, "You've run out of time, Gordnar, the wooly mammoth is victorious!" The mammoth tosses her equipment to the floor and removes any projectiles lodged in her before exiting the arena. A gornar-shackled ogre drags you out of the arena. [Duskruin Arena, Niveous Chamber] You notice a white-robed human healer. Also here: other people Obvious exits: out A plump grey-bearded scripmaster walks in and stuffs 200 bloodscrip in one of your pockets. He barks, "The crowd loves a dead Dwarf, which means you still get some pay! Way to use your head in there, Gordnar." The scripmaster walks out.

Azerik
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 6:50:49 PM

@Ashraam-VanEyre To answer your question I bought the T2-T3 unlock when they reduced the price. I did not have a feature concealing hood before.

Here is the analyze from my item now:

The creator has also provided the following information:

The grey ramie silk longcloak is a garment that changes messaging depending on the climate you're in, or whether it is raining/snowing outside. This item can be altered, it just needs to remain the basic essence of what the item is (no changing a cloak into a dress, but a cloak into a coat is fine).

The longcloak is fully unlocked with feature concealer ability. It has 16 verbs. This is currently set to be a cloak of some sort. The longcloak is currently hooded with the following custom hood: silver-lined grey hood. The longcloak currently has the following for custom fastenings: dark blue tempest stone clasp. The longcloak currently has the following for custom pockets: small silver-lined pocket (a small pocket), large silver-lined pocket (a large pocket), (small scabbards), ebon leather weapon loops (weapon loops), (large pouches), and (small pouches).

You can tell that the longcloak is as light as it can get and that its pockets could not possibly get any deeper.

Evarin
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 7:17:13 PM

The ;midnightarena script has been updated and should prove far more reliable. There are other competing scripts with similar names as well (duskruin_watch, for one)

Xannorath
Saturday, August 19th, 2017, 8:10:31 PM

So the T0 to T1 climatewear unlock with the feature concealing hood.. Can we use just the hood if we already have a T2 item?

allereli
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 1:59:48 AM

@Ososis I'm sorry!

https://www.facebook.com/myrecipes/videos/1403342453095056/

Maetriks
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 8:58:18 AM

@xannorath No.

There seems to be confusion with people regarding climatewear and as someone who has spent a lot of time and money in past ones, I'll try to break it down.

Feature concealing is ONLY available with the full T3 climatewear with 16 verbs. This is the unlock that costs 20k. You cannot get this feature at a lower unlock tier.

The custom hood is available at lower unlock tiers. This is NOT feature concealing. It is a custom feature for your climatewear, much like buttons, pockets, etc. When you PUSH or PULL your climatewear piece, you'll see your designed hood in the script instead of just something dull and boring. That is what the cheaper unlock is for, so you can get it altered. Options are hood or cowl.

Xannorath
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 9:31:38 AM

@maetriks Thank you for the answer? Follow up question: if I unlock to tier 3 but don't have a hood, will it still add the hood with that unlock?

Xannorath
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 9:31:57 AM

Sorry.. Didn't mean to include a ? After my thank you

Ordim
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 9:39:03 AM

@xannorath said in Official: Duskruin - August 2017:

Sorry.. Didn't mean to include a ? After my thank you

If you click the three vertical dots on the right hand side of your post you can find an EDIT button to edit your original post!

God
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 11:52:29 AM

Don't mean to rush anyone but I've got a BBQ to attend, do we have some general ETA on the BloodForge opening up? Thanks.

Evarin
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 12:56:40 PM

QUOTE from GM Haliste: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Paid%20Events:%20Adventures,%20Quests,%20and%20SimuCoins/Duskruin%20Arena/view/7314

Are there any legendary runes this run?

There are not any this run.

A big thank you to the work put into the bloodrunes this run.

The fabulous Arcane and Mystic bloodrunes are the creative children of GM Kaikala, and I agree - they are amazing!

I hope we didn't find all the mystic stones yet...

Based on the wiki, you have not.

~ Haliste ~ The Forest Gnome of Silverwood Manor ASGM, Events

Omrii: Okay, thanks Haliste. You're way better than Wyrom.

Evarin
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 4:10:21 PM

Quote from GM Liia: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Paid%20Events:%20Adventures,%20Quests,%20and%20SimuCoins/Duskruin%20Arena/view/7326

Will epic deepening be offered again at this Duskruin?

Didn't see a response to this, so here's a response!

Yes. Selandrine worked for about an hour doing this last night, as well as lightening up to max light for 100 Bloodscrip/lb. She will be back doing more of this throughout the event, too.

I generally announce just before I get on to do this merchant, and I'll tweet, too. If I remember. I usually remember. If I can schedule a firm time later in the month, I'll post it. My schedule is super wonky right now, though, so just keep your ears open within the Village/Arena/Ratacombs areas, or on Twitter. Or on those 3rd party places people like to announce things.

~Liia

God
Sunday, August 20th, 2017, 4:20:43 PM

Just going to assume the BloodForge isn't opening until tomorrow, which is fine I guess. Invite isn't perishable.

Kalros
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 12:09:50 AM

Arenawatch has false matches on roll and troll.

Also, traps reset after they run into one. So, once you defend against a trap, you should immediately start watching again. This is likely when the 4 seconds turns on. I usually spam watch and it catches in the next 4-8 seconds. If you can kill the creatures fast enough... you may not see this.

Sabotage
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017, 12:17:34 AM

@kalros ;midnightarena already does that. Try it out. Its the new and improved arenawatch.

Evarin
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 9:15:26 PM

Quotes from GM Wyrom in the Discord regarding Duskruin:

Yeah, that's still true. If the event stays open, the booklets and jars would no longer be on sale. I'll be sure to post all the details as soon as I can. Unfortunately, missing a critical system update when we thought we were good to go has caused a lot more work and stress on everyone. Typically, something to the magnitiude that needed to be updated would be a month or two out. So pushing it through in a week has been a challenge. We're very close though.

One thing that may have been lost in the chaos is we made it where you can get a second invite due to the delay. The original plan was 1 invite and that was it. We'll see how it goes where people can earn another (after they use their's) to see if we'll leave as is for next time. Also, weighting/padding will be available soon after Duskruin for silver as well. If you hate the price in bloodscrip, just wait for the silver way.

Well, the booklet sale for silver also tapped the majority of players in game. Since it was not planned and no one was grinding for months to get silver. It drained the "middle class" of Elanthia pretty well.

The rich will always be rich. That's how it works. We're at about 2.2billion silver drained from booklets alone.

Players also haven't recovered from the auction in 2016 yet either. So if we use December 2016 as a start date, we've pulled more silver out of game than we've introduced.

I think part of the hysteria is something I also instilled a bit by exposing some of the numbers. And I know Kerl on the forums has some good points. But he's mostly touching on players not selling anything. Not that we're not selling anything. It's tough though, because when people tie up ROI into a game, things get pretty doomed quickly.

archigeek
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 10:04:01 PM

I appreciate what he's saying. It's frustrating that it isn't open, but I guess in the end we'd probably all rather have it working correctly than opened and not working. They've historically done a pretty darn good job of offering extra perks to make up for any shortcomings, and so far they've added some nice ones for this Duskruin.

Also glad to hear that 2 billion silvers got eaten up by the booklet sale alone.

ArchSenex
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 10:07:48 PM

I imagine it will open, then one for silvers will come at festival of the fallen, and people will demand it be altered since they spent bs for 25 services.

Sabotage
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 10:09:53 PM

If nothing else it will be interesting to see how they value silvers vs BS.

Ordim
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 10:39:31 PM

They have said they see it as $10=1,000,000 silvers = 1000 BS.

Wyrom
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 10:41:51 PM

Don't worry, we'll do something to make up for the delay. We always do. I'm thankful for everyone involved pushing hard on getting through the critical system updates that were missed.

Roblar
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 10:48:01 PM

@ordim said in Official: Duskruin - August 2017:

That was when Duskruin debuted and silvers were around $10.

Yesterday, Coase valued at 750 silvers to bloodscrip pricing for future smithy work I think.

Wyrom
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 11:06:37 PM

Silvers were dipping under $9/mil during the first Duskruin, but many sellers were still pushing between $9 to $10.

When we came up with the pricing model for Duskruin, we used that conversion as best as we could, but it was never set in stone.

Ordim
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 11:06:53 PM

@roblar said in Official: Duskruin - August 2017:

That was when Duskruin debuted and silvers were around $10.

Yesterday, Coase valued at 750 silvers to bloodscrip pricing for future smithy work I think.

That's either a generous bump in silver value or a large drop in BS value perception.

ArchSenex
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 11:11:19 PM

I beleive he more specifically said they were picking a silver price, and other currencies be damned.

Ordim
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 11:15:33 PM

@archsenex said in Official: Duskruin - August 2017:

I beleive he more specifically said they were picking a silver price, and other currencies be damned.

I have no problem with that, as long as it holds consistent for a period of time and doesn't fluctuate with the secondary market. The one that that has officially been indicated as "not their problem or concern".

Roblar
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 11:15:53 PM

It's not the current market rate but at least silver charges for the smithy would be somewhat lower at that rate?

I'm still waiting for final pricing and the quotes.

Alastir
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 11:26:01 PM

They should be careful about devaluing their pay event though.

Pay events should be the cheapest options, with silvers costing more, not less. Otherwise, what incentive is there to participate in the pay event?

Ordim
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 11:32:38 PM

You know what, i spent a lot more time on this than I should have. Half way through I said, this is terrible, this is a really unhealthy thing i am doing. What is wrong with me. Then I posted it. bloodscrip http://imgur.com/a/PXLj0

ArchSenex
Monday, August 28th, 2017, 11:51:59 PM

I have no problem with that, as long as it holds consistent for a period of time and doesn't fluctuate with the secondary market. The one that that has officially been indicated as "not their problem or concern".

History says that in game silver prices usually ignore the secondary market.

Maetriks
Tuesday, August 29th, 2017, 1:50:28 AM

Smithy is open.

Mogonis
Tuesday, August 29th, 2017, 1:55:06 AM

Not exactly. You can get quotes though.

Maetriks
Tuesday, August 29th, 2017, 1:56:27 AM

@mogonis said in Official: Duskruin - August 2017:

Not exactly. You can get quotes though.

More than we had an hour ago.

Mogonis
Tuesday, August 29th, 2017, 1:57:21 AM

Still misleading to say it's open.

Evarin
Tuesday, August 29th, 2017, 8:01:35 AM

Estild via the Discord:

Estild - The amount of weighting/padding on the item is not a factor. All factors being the same, the 1st service costs the same as the 5000th service, if no surcharge is added for multiple services during a 60 day service window. But if you price adding damage weighting when the item has critical weighing, the latter is a factor for the price (and vice versa).

archigeek
Tuesday, August 29th, 2017, 10:28:41 AM

"Amount of weighting/padding is not a factor" is true in the sense of cost per point, but what is gained with the first ten points is not the same as what is gained with points 4726-4736. That was the whole point in a diminishing returns system right?

ArchSenex
Tuesday, August 29th, 2017, 10:30:44 AM

@archigeek said in Official: Duskruin - August 2017:

"Amount of weighting/padding is not a factor" is true in the sense of cost per point, but what is gained with the first ten points is not the same as what is gained with points 4726-4736. That was the whole point in a diminishing returns system right?

Correct. There was some information floating around that there was a "double penalty" in that it scaled twice (three times if you count the 60-day window). The post was only to clarify that the cost won't change for the first point as you go up the scale (And quotes shared confirm this, 6x HCW gear is the same price as 6x gear for point 1).

Evarin
Tuesday, August 29th, 2017, 9:50:25 PM

Quote from GM Coase: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Paid%20Events:%20Adventures,%20Quests,%20and%20SimuCoins/Duskruin%20Arena/view/8061

If you were overcharged by the smithy, you'll need to ASSIST so that we can check out your circumstances and refend appropriately. There was a pricing bug for the first 30 minutes or so where you were being charged for the wrong step and another where you were incorrectly allowed to purchase more than 25 services (which is easy to miss if you're buying a lot all at once).

Coase