Random Official GM Posts

Evarin
Saturday, September 2nd, 2017, 12:18:03 PM

Recreating this thread from the PC. Basically, i'll use it whenever I find a GM post/comment that isn't quite worthy of its own thread, but still worth preserving for posterity's sake.

Evarin
Saturday, September 2nd, 2017, 12:18:21 PM

Quote from GM Wyrom: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Game%20Design%20Discussions/Items%20and%20Inventory/view/2902

RotFlares only work on things that have blood. Elementals don't. Nor do most undead.

Wyrom, PM

Evarin
Sunday, September 3rd, 2017, 6:55:02 PM

Quote from GM Zissu: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Paid%20Events:%20Adventures,%20Quests,%20and%20SimuCoins/Duskruin%20Arena/view/8281

Pawnbrokers across Elanthia are no longer enamored with and overvaluing standards claids and katanas.

Zissu - Combat and Magic Systems Dev Lackey

Evarin
Wednesday, September 6th, 2017, 3:02:42 PM

Regarding an adjustment of the Premium Teleport Service costs.

Quote from GM Kynlee: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Four%20Winds%20Hall%60Premium/Benefits/view/2228

It's been discussed but will likely not be looked into in depth until AFTER phase 2 of the transportation updates is released.

~~GM Kynlee~~ Elanthian Architect Breaker of Things GS4-Kynlee@play.net 3/50

Evarin
Friday, September 15th, 2017, 7:51:09 AM

Quote from GM Vanah: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Game%20Design%20Discussions/Items%20and%20Inventory/view/2929

I cleaned up some issues with the fishbowls that were available on the Spitfire and are for sale in the Eastern Harbor. You can now INSPECT them and get some useful information. I also added analyze information with verbs and alteration guidelines.

There were previously no alteration instructions on these fishbowls, so if you have one that looks a little wonky, please ASSIST to have it looked at.

~Vanah

Evarin
Tuesday, September 19th, 2017, 7:58:25 AM

Quote from GM Kaikala: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Game%20Design%20Discussions/Items%20and%20Inventory/view/2937

I'm pretty sure we didn't talk directly (so it's probable you talked to Vanah?), but the bug went to me for fixing ;) That definitely was a few years back! But glad it makes better sense now.

FWIW, the globes aren't alterable for a few reasons -- changing the base's adjective will essentially break the item (i.e. the traps won't work). And the LOOK is hard-coded, so any custom show description wouldn't show up (plus it'd be super easy to start conflicting with all of the descriptors in the verb traps). If it's a long description alteration you're after, that's a possibility -- just let me know if that's what you had in mind.

There is not a Makiri globe currently -- just Elanthia, Lornon, Liabo, Tilaok, and a general "celestial" globe. If you have thoughts on what a Makiri one should/would look like and how it would message with the verb traps, definitely feel free to email me!

~Kaikala

From nearby, you hear Ordim yell, "Dont eat meeeeee!"

The shaggy mutt sniffs at a vine-painted mistwood keg, then grabs it in its teeth and greedily wolfs it down before anyone can grab it!

Evarin
Tuesday, September 26th, 2017, 9:04:15 PM

Quote from GM Estild: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Empaths/General%20Discussion/view/264

We agree that being dead should not circumvent a player's choice to opt out of healing (via DEMEANOR). It'll be addressed in the near future.

GameMaster Estild

Mogonis
Tuesday, September 26th, 2017, 11:17:23 PM

This is what I do whenever someone's demeanor has them shut off to the world.

Evarin
Tuesday, September 26th, 2017, 11:30:07 PM

Demeanor cold for life.

Wednesday, September 27th, 2017, 8:12:23 AM

I love not helping people... if demeanor makes that easier, that's great!

Riend
Wednesday, September 27th, 2017, 11:25:44 AM

@evarin said in Random Official GM Posts:

Demeanor cold for life.

Demeanor Reserved 4lyfe because nothing is more awkward than RPing a knee-jerk flinch/punch reaction to being touched by complete strangers then having to explain it's no big deal and <3 in whispers oocly.

Evarin
Wednesday, September 27th, 2017, 11:56:14 AM

Being a Sorcerer means never having to say you're sorry.

Eva
Wednesday, September 27th, 2017, 3:41:00 PM

+1 for reserved demeanor but had to switch to neutral for HoA pulling purposes. Huge uptick in random hugs since then.

Mogonis
Wednesday, September 27th, 2017, 4:03:33 PM

Riend
Wednesday, September 27th, 2017, 4:40:59 PM

If I wanted you to touch me, I'd invite you my Bathhouse room. waggles eyebrows

Mogonis
Wednesday, September 27th, 2017, 4:46:55 PM

Evarin
Wednesday, October 4th, 2017, 11:24:36 PM

Quote from GM Tamuz:

Premium Homes are a largely unmaintained legacy system at this point. I don't have anyone code-cleared to take on the system or do much of anything with it right now. It has killed multiple GMs in the past so I'm not going to force that on anyone.

There is no automatic eviction set up like player shops have. From what I've seen in my cursory examination of the system, it would require someone with a decent working knowledge of the home system to go through each room in each neighborhood and manually check each home against the account's status. The system was built well before we could do decent automation like we can now.

ASGM

Evarin
Wednesday, October 4th, 2017, 11:26:05 PM

Quote from GM Estild:

... am I missing something? Shouldn't this just pop the gate open instantaneously? Or am I supposed to get some sort of phantom roll that's high enough to do so?

While under level 21, it's only a chance (with each level increasing the odds) to pop open the gate when casting Unlock (407) or Force Projection (1207).

GameMaster Estild

Evarin
Saturday, October 14th, 2017, 8:06:03 AM

Quote from GM Wyrom:

Premium homes cannot be freed up if the owner is an active subscriber. There is then a grace period you have after you deactivate your account where you can get your home back.

I'm not sure who told you we could free up a home for someone though. Seems you got either bad information or there was something else involved with a misunderstanding

Wyrom, PM

Evarin
Saturday, October 14th, 2017, 8:08:31 AM

Quote from GM Wyrom:

Automatic evictions have been turned off for over 10 years. The former SGM that oversaw the Premium and Platinum teams ended up freeing up homes a long time ago (again, over 10 years ago), but it looks like that caused bugs that the system still hasn't recovered from to this day.

A house count from 2004 isn't something we could honor 13 years later. I don't see there being more homes in the last 10 years, so it's difficult to know what might have happened.

We'll investigate it more, but upper class homes were always intended to be very limited and more expensive.

Wyrom, PM

Evarin
Tuesday, October 17th, 2017, 5:49:24 PM

Quote from GM Tamuz:

Hey folks,

Naos was kind enough to review a tiny change for me, so we've got the following QoL improvement related to enchanting:

Pawn shops will no longer buy items that are in the enchanting process. The various pawn brokers of Elanthia will politely suggest bringing said items back when the enchantment is finished.

ASGM

Evarin
Wednesday, October 18th, 2017, 11:44:03 AM

Quote from GM Wyrom via the Discord:

Wyrom - Today at 1:51 AM Caligos is guaranteed for 5 years. Getting a shovel this year is your best value.

allereli
Wednesday, October 18th, 2017, 12:14:28 PM

Caligos is guaranteed for 5 years. Getting a shovel this year is your best value.

a permanent shovel? Have those even been made available?

Mogonis
Wednesday, October 18th, 2017, 12:14:59 PM

There's at least one in use right now.

allereli
Wednesday, October 18th, 2017, 12:17:41 PM

@mogonis said in Random Official GM Posts:

There's at least one in use right now.

when was that distributed? @Wyrom

Mogonis
Wednesday, October 18th, 2017, 12:31:16 PM

I think it was a jackpot maybe?

Riend
Wednesday, October 18th, 2017, 12:43:12 PM

It had to have been a VERY early one, I've seen him using it for over a week now.

amerek
Wednesday, October 18th, 2017, 7:12:42 PM

It was early. It was not a jackpot (I was in the room).

Mogonis
Wednesday, October 18th, 2017, 7:26:26 PM

It should've been one. Depending on the quiver's properties, the shovel could be the most valuable thing at EG.

Evarin
Thursday, October 19th, 2017, 9:30:36 AM

Quote from GM Wyrom:

Just to clarify, while a lot of us tend to view GMs as volunteers, companies can't use volunteer labor (AKA unpaid labor). That's violation of FLSA. There are some very limited exceptions, but working on a core product wouldn't be one.

GameMasters aren't volunteers. They are independent contractors that take on a project load. We separate project types by team. They have a time frame to complete projects, but they can do it on their own schedule and typically we offer extensions where we can. Events are very time sensitive and more demanding. We have a specific team that works on events. There isn't a lot of compensation, but we're pretty upfront with that from the get go. GMs who do more make more. We do something called profit sharing, commonly referred to as shares. GMs make a percent of the revenue that gets shared in a pool based on their contributions. We also have some benefits for GameMasters who still enjoy playing.

Wyrom, PM

Evarin
Friday, October 20th, 2017, 4:27:43 PM

Quote from GM Wyrom RE Games and Odds:

Nothing changes. There is no timer. There is no day check. There is only RNG. Digging and games have been worked over the entire event. We've been noticing a sudden uptick in DSD dives. More people doing these things are going to mean more prizes go out. It just doesn't mean you will get more.

And the second unlimited shovel went out last night. That's all of them for the year.

Wyrom, PM

ArchSenex
Friday, October 20th, 2017, 5:35:48 PM

Nothing changes.

Wyrom, PM

Including the number of people claiming that the games are secretly rigged and the GM's manually turn off the hoppers except when they know people are about to quit.

Riend
Friday, October 20th, 2017, 6:12:22 PM

@archsenex said in Random Official GM Posts:

Nothing changes.

Wyrom, PM

Including the number of people claiming that the games are secretly rigged and the GM's manually turn off the hoppers except when they know people are about to quit.

I haven't won a T5/6 in like 24 hours, clearly the system is rigged.

/runs.

Alastir
Saturday, October 21st, 2017, 2:38:52 AM

I haven't won a T5/T6 in more than week...

Oh wait.

I'm not playing games.

Wyrom
Saturday, October 21st, 2017, 5:59:10 PM

Nothing changes.

Wyrom, PM

Haha, someone said that somewhere? Lord oh lord.

ArchSenex
Saturday, October 21st, 2017, 6:02:53 PM

@wyrom said in Random Official GM Posts:

Nothing changes.

Wyrom, PM

Haha, someone said that somewhere? Lord oh lord.

I'm paraphrasing, but yes, at the games themselves, that was the dominant theory. And that you turn off the prizes at night, for reasons that were never particularly explained.

Vishra
Saturday, October 21st, 2017, 6:09:08 PM

Nothing changes.

Wyrom, PM

Let's be honest- the playerbase isn't always super bright

Mogonis
Saturday, October 21st, 2017, 6:12:18 PM

@vishra said in Random Official GM Posts:

Nothing changes.

Wyrom, PM

Oh, honey...

Get it?

Vishra
Saturday, October 21st, 2017, 6:33:08 PM

@mogonis said in Random Official GM Posts:

@vishra said in Random Official GM Posts:

Nothing changes.

Wyrom, PM

Oh, honey...

Get it?

Bless your heart, salt of the earth.

Evarin
Tuesday, October 31st, 2017, 10:42:25 AM

Apparently, there are 2 forms of Undead Bane, Lesser and Greater. Greater is permablessed in that it can always hit undead, a bless strengthens the effects. Lesser cannot hit undead without a bless, but is capable of having 2 flares when hitting the undead. Lesser Bane first went out in the form of vials in a past DR run, and the first weapon with the permanent version of the flare went out as an EG jackpot pull (a golvern maul).

Estild via the Discord:

Estild - Today at 12:59 AM There's lesser and greater undead bane.

Estild - Today at 1:10 AM You must get it blessed to hit the undead.

Estild - Today at 1:12 AM Lesser undead bane potions went out a DR run or two ago.

Estild - Today at 1:13 AM It can have 2 flares against the undead.

Estild - Today at 1:13 AM No. It can does not mean it does. You can get normal flares added to it. (Well, depending on which slot you're referring to the holy water flare in, ArchSenex)

Estild - Today at 1:14 AM The maul has a flare that will trigger in addition to any other normal weapon abilities when used against the undead.

ArchSenex - Today at 1:15 AM ok, so with an appropriate bless, it should get the double flares (against undead) since the holy water flares I believe enter the standard flare slot while the weapon is blessed

Estild - Today at 1:15 AM Correct.

Estild - Today at 1:17 AM They are exactly the same, except greater doesn't require a bless to affect the undead while lesser does.(edited)

Evarin
Tuesday, November 7th, 2017, 8:56:15 AM

Quote from GM Haliste on the Officials regarding the number of Ghezresh converts:

You have about 50 converts.

~ Haliste ~ The Forest Gnome of Silverwood Manor SGM, Events

Erous
Tuesday, November 7th, 2017, 9:36:43 AM

More beastly, tentacle, sea-faring, grotesqueness wares and items could contribute to an increase in converts. Always find it difficult to commit to a deity if I can't advertise my following, granted not everyone is like me, nor are deities the same. Unless Ghezresh likes to keep to him/her self!

Riend
Tuesday, November 7th, 2017, 9:39:42 AM

@erous I have an entire outfit dedicated to tentacles, though less grotesque and more octopus-like. I cannot wait to see how some of these folks RP following our new Jeelsus!

Erous
Tuesday, November 7th, 2017, 10:06:21 AM

@riend said in Random Official GM Posts:

@erous I have an entire outfit dedicated to tentacles, though less grotesque and more octopus-like. I cannot wait to see how some of these folks RP following our new Jeelsus!

I saw, I may or may not have upvoted it :D Still, we should be showered with wares to support Jeelsus

Riend
Tuesday, November 7th, 2017, 10:08:36 AM

LOL. Perhaps he is a covetous God who wishes to only bestow his favors upon the truly reverent... or something.

Erous
Tuesday, November 7th, 2017, 10:16:12 AM

How mysterious!

Evarin
Wednesday, November 8th, 2017, 8:33:22 AM

Quote from GM Wyrom via the Officials:

And on a related note for future planning, if it's known offhand, are lesser moods compatible with EZscripts?

They are.

Wyrom, PM

Evarin
Wednesday, November 8th, 2017, 8:35:01 AM

Quote from GM Haliste via the Officials:

Will converting (to Ghezresh) be available next year?

Probably!

Platinum conversions

Riend
Wednesday, November 8th, 2017, 9:37:38 AM

Quote from GM Wyrom via the Officials:

And on a related note for future planning, if it's known offhand, are lesser moods compatible with EZscripts?

They are.

Wyrom, PM

WAT?! Oh man, oh man, oh man. There goes my premium points.

Evarin
Wednesday, November 8th, 2017, 8:11:05 PM

Quotes from GM Estild via the Discord regarding Tremors (909) and "tagging" credit compared to other spells. Note that the log was edited for clarity.

Estild - Today at 3:32 PM Just in case it wasn't clear, I was joking about the 11, mainly because giving creatures 0 seconds of RT would result in nothing. It would not "tag" creatures for credit.

Estild - Today at 3:49 PM Yes, if 909 knocks down the target, it would result in credit. But I suspect this request was made because other characters are using 410, which means the targets are already prone and thus not affected by 909's knock down.(edited)

Estild - Today at 3:53 PM RT itself does not give any credit. It appears that way with 709, but that's because it's still giving credit as if the target was knocked down even if the target was already on the ground. It was actually a bug, as noted by my comment at SimuCon, but we decided to let it be.(edited)

Estild - Today at 4:06 PM 909 will still apply the EBP penalty (assuming success on the skill check) regardless if target is already prone or not, but EBP penalties do not grant credit.(edited)

Ragz - Today at 4:21 PM Is there any skill in the game that induces RT that doesn't give tag credit?

Estild - Today at 4:23 PM For the most part no, since most abilities that induce RT also do other effects that do grant credit. But there are edge cases like with 504.

Ragz - Today at 4:24 PM Doesn't 504 award tag credit?

Estild - Today at 4:25 PM No.

Ragz - Today at 4:25 PM Is there a game balance reason we couldn't allow 909 to award tag credit?

Estild - Today at 4:27 PM Yes, since the reason players want tag credit is usually in the scenarios where there is very little risk.

Ragz - Today at 4:31 PM What is the trivial part anyway? I mean you're getting 1/10th of the xp. Could we reduce that to 0xp in favor of allowing the tag?

Estild - Today at 4:32 PM It's more than just experience. e.g. it was never intended that sorcerers would easily max out their weekly gains of necrotic energy the way that it is being done now.

Estild - Today at 4:34 PM We could make such combat more difficult, but I imagine most of you wouldn't like that. So things will probably stay as they are, but that also means we're not going to make it easier.

A⌋姆ìℜ �� - Today at 4:34 PM Not make combat easier, or not make getting tag credit easier?

Estild - Today at 4:34 PM Well, both, but the latter specifically.(edited)

Estild - Today at 4:40 PM It already is too easy, regardless of if we change 909 or not.(edited)

Estild - Today at 4:41 PM Like I said, it's not a matter of creating a challenge. We could certainly do that. But I'm willing to bet there would be a good number of people who would not like that.

Evarin
Thursday, November 9th, 2017, 11:33:54 PM

Quote from GM Kynlee:

These are still being discussed, but to paraphrase what Wyrom has said before, the Premium Homes system is a mess. It's going to take a LOT of looking into and is more of a long-term type of thing, if it's even possible. It's not out of the question, but isn't something that's likely to happen anytime soon.

Evarin
Monday, November 13th, 2017, 2:07:20 PM

Quote from GM Estild:

I have 56 ranks in water lore so I should be getting a 10% chance of not having a cooldown. I just casted rapid fire 25 times in a row to test and every single time, I had a cooldown when the effected ended. I tested this because during the last DR, I went thru must've been over a hundred rapid fires and never noticed a cooldown negation. Is there something I'm not noticing or a bug with messaging? Anyone else seeing this?

I just tested it and it appears to be working fine. However, previously, there was no messaging to know when it kicked in (you had to type SPELL ACTIVE) to see if the Recovery debuff was listed or not. I added new messaging when Rapid Fire (515) is cast to note when the Elemental Lore, Water benefit kicks in.

GameMaster Estild

Evarin
Tuesday, November 14th, 2017, 12:56:30 AM

Quote from GM Wyrom:

In fairness to those asking, this is because things don't get added if we don't ask for them well in advance. Plus we (apparently!) like the event ;-).

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm just saying that the requests are already happening. I appreciate people actually understanding when to suggest features. Most suggestions always come too late.

Truth! it's also the next event we know about that we can request stuff for, and the only event for services/items of a certain level of mechanical value. What would you like us to do?

Like my answer above, my comment wasn't that it is a bad thing that people enjoy the event and its offerings. My comment was directed at the general thoughts about event saturation that was going on in another thread.

Non-undead bane (automated?) certificates please, and also ithziri armor automated certificates available at the opening of the scrip shop

Banes can't be automated. But other banes can certainly be discussed. What banes would people like to see? Be very specific (even if you don't think it exists). The 8 points of weighting or flares was something we tried, but banes aren't limited to those numbers.

and there are no alternative high end events!

This is because bloodscrip are already established. As I've mentioned in another thread (EG), I'm a stickler for keeping to story. Bloodscrip, while is just a currency, is linked to Bloodriven Village. I wouldn't want to use it at another venue. We could create another type of event at Bloodriven Village, sure.

greater elemental flare certs please

They will likely continue next year.

Please bring back the night shroud cloak and forest armor certs/waivers.

These will likely come back, but we'll discuss it more.

I'd like to be able to add lightning element resistance to armor or shields.

Resists are something I would like to add to an automated 2018 roster.

A 425 x/day item.

This would likely not come to Duskruin. It would be a limited release.

A crystal amulet that never shuts off as long as you're wearing it.

I think we have something like this. If not... /plots.

Limited quantity make-your-own-signature-verb certs. (Or swear, spell prep, bolt message, disk...)

This isn't a good venue for custom stuff. I need us to move away from that. Just to give you all an idea, I'm still working on stuff from April's run.

Oh, and even though nobody seems to be buying them, please keep the Ironwright contracts. I'm getting close, 124k bloodscrip and I have like 400 arena entries stuffed in a locker, so I'm within reach!

I believe we sold one or two.

Rare flare certificates. I need to add disruption flares to go along with my greater mood script.

Thanks for naming one. Any others?

Flares, resistance, combat-script adding (Ithzir, Reim, Voln, etc), Pick-your-own enhancive adding, weight-reduction at a lower price point, and greater moods, please.

Enhancive work is something for Summit Academy. We want to give Summit Academy specific goals. Greater moods, same issues, it's all custom work so it's not a very good venue. Weight reduction at a lower price point, would you just want to buy 1% at a time? Or do you mean it's too pricey at 5%? It sells quite a bit at its current price point, so it would be tough to move it.

enhancive swapping certificates

Same as above with enhancive work.

Lesser de-fusion certificates. They require an empty slot on the item to be defusioned, and cost much less than the previous defusion certs

Do you mean just have 1 enhancive added? There are sets of items with 5 fusion slots out there.

Banshee flaring

We have been talking about doing temp banshee flares but more often (at Duskruin). What do you guys think?

Sanctification removal certs.

Possible, but would not apply to eonake, white ora, or any other item that is naturally holy.

Wyrom, PM

Evarin
Friday, November 24th, 2017, 12:45:15 PM

Quote from GM Kaikala:

Hey guys,

Just a quick note about some minor adjustments on the Ritual Daggers:

(1) Previously on the Tier 2 daggers, you could only change your "grip" when it was held in the right hand; that is no longer true -- you can now do so in either hand.

(2) On the Tier 2+ daggers that have the ability to toggle between flavors (this is just a handful of you that have this) -- flavor-toggling is no longer done via CLENCH (due to the above update). Instead, you will need to ATTEND -- either hand -- to toggle the flavor.

(3) Tier 2 and 2+ daggers that are set up as Arkati or custom flavors -- for scarring via POINT, you should be able to toggle the preposition and the location now (see the ANALYZE if you're not sure how to do that) in the same way that the 'default' flavor allows. If your dagger is a custom flavor, you can toggle through the various locations/prepositions to use your customized description on now -- however, if you want to use your custom location/preposition, those are set up as a bundle -- just toggle to that custom location of yours, and it'll handle both the preposition+location; just toggle the location back to any default option and you can toggle the prepositions per usual.

(4) For Tier 2 and 2+ daggers, when you LOOK at your dagger when it is in-hand, when applicable it will now indicate what grip you're using & what flavor (if you are able to toggle between them) it's set to.

A few of you are waiting on your customizations still; I'll be touching base with you over the next few days if you haven't already heard from me.

~Kaikala

From nearby, you hear Ordim yell, "Dont eat meeeeee!"

The shaggy mutt sniffs at a vine-painted mistwood keg, then grabs it in its teeth and greedily wolfs it down before anyone can grab it!

This message was originally posted in Game Design Discussions, Items and Inventory. To discuss the above, follow the link below.

http://forums.play.net/forums/19/213/2292/view/3010

Evarin
Monday, November 27th, 2017, 5:57:36 PM

Q&A from GM Viduus RE: Spell Messaging Spam:

I actually didn't realize the spell messaging was changed so that only the caster sees, but in RP events, it is brutal for me to try to see what's going on in the middle of sometimes several screens worth of spells being tacked on to others then the spells dropping. I can squelch it, I can use a lich script to mitigate it, but it sometimes does cause a slowdown on my end, plus I can miss things. Personally, I would prefer a hard toggle like a flag setting, but even if the group version was changed to an evoke or channel, it would be helpful.

We're aware that players are currently unhappy with the volume of messaging that they're exposed to. Spell fade messaging is rooted in the current base design of spells, so there isn't a quick fix to eliminate it without going through each problem spell one by one. We also don't just want to rip out all fade messing as that would probably cause more problems than it fixes.

It helps to know the specific spells that are the biggest offenders for individual reviews. I was constantly seeing complaints about "group spells" being the offenders, even after I restricted the spell application + fade messaging to casters and targets. Now that I know the current offenders are the 2 minute group applications of single cast spells that people unlock with lore benefits I can look towards the right locations for potential solutions.

Viduus

Evarin
Thursday, November 30th, 2017, 8:34:10 PM

Quote from Haliste:

Duskruin Dig is not planned for December. More information coming soon...

Omrii: Okay, thanks Haliste. You're way better than Wyrom.

Evarin
Saturday, December 2nd, 2017, 8:52:55 PM

Quote from GM Wyrom:

SGM Galene and I just spoke about a similar subject a week ago when it comes to the time line needed for CHE/MHO prep. Unfortunately, there are a lot of problems with the current setup that was put in place. One thing we've tried to overcome in the last 3 years is to modernize the game and offer less time constraints to both players and staff. MHO/CHE event policies are something we need to tackle in the near future.

The great thing about GemStone IV is we will support and allow player-run events as much as we can. But there are dozens of active MHOs/CHEs running events. It makes up the majority of our calendar these days. Look at today, for example. The majority of the evening is just player-run events. That's a big stretch of time. We also offer MHOs/CHEs a lot more tools and privileges nowadays like running raffles, having prize closets with scripted items, and around the clock support.

We also have over fifty staff members, with more than half being CE GMs. Those CE GMs have monthly projects that involve working with players in some capacity. Staff are not forced into a schedule due to their independent contractor status. They work on their own schedule, but we do try as hard as we can to avoid overlap. When it comes to overlap, we do ask GMs to try to schedule during our more congested population times. We also ask to try to start at either the top of the hour or within 30 minutes intervals. So in cases where a player raffle draws as the same time as a GM raffle, it will be a lot more common if it's at X:00 or X:30. GMs won't stagger things into X:05 or X:10.

As for pay events, dates and times are only tentative until about 30 days before they run. SGM Haliste and I plan to try to do better with that time table, but not all of it is within our control. Pay events are guaranteed the months of February, April, June, August, October, and December.

Like everything, nothing is perfect. We do as best as we can, as well as continually offer more.

Wyrom, PM

Evarin
Tuesday, December 12th, 2017, 6:54:14 AM

Quote from GM Mikos:

Guys,

Thanks for posting.

Before I provided the update to the wiki, I examined the scripts on the grinder, forge, and vise. And before posting this reply I have examined them again.

It turns out that the Vise DOES provide a second Gift of Eonak roll within the Extraordinary Success determination routine, unlike the grinder and forge.

I have updated the wiki description to reflect this.

Thanks again for speaking up.

• Mikos
Evarin
Monday, December 18th, 2017, 6:12:41 PM

Quote from GM Naos:

I don't know what genius decided to make the penalties for ruic, but they were an evil genius. -60 penalty to enchant. >>

Hello! The attributes of materials are generally tied into the lore backing that material. When I assigned the enchanting difficulties for materials, I primarily considered the properties and descriptions from the materials document with some consideration for any history or reputation a particular material may have held. Ruic has some interesting magical flavor that excludes its use as a material for rune staves

Mossbark has a 0, and is +15...too much trouble to make mossbark bows with an extra enchant though for off the shelf merchant items (despite 4x mithril fusion shields as an example). >>

Let us turn this idea around: why not buy the mossbark bow at +15 and slap that extra +5 on it yourself? It is a minor enchantment project, so it should be of trivial concern and relatively minor time investment. I like to sell "pre-enchanted" stuff in my shops on occasion, but I typically do not do so because I want wizards (and low level characters) to have options, either for direct use or for enchanting as minor projects (some wizards do lots of minor projects.)

Like I said, please do something about this. >>

So, we could review the enchanting difficulty for materials in certain contexts. It is worth pointing out that the Ranged Weapons style of combat is the only style of combat that allows a player to trivially obtain the equivalent of +50/10x gear. Enchanting a bow up to +30 is more significant than enchanting, say, a longsword to the same level. Perhaps in a comprehensive review of an enchanting system, we can reconsider ALL of these aspects and how appropriate they are in today's Elanthia.

-- Naos

Evarin
Sunday, December 31st, 2017, 2:12:56 PM

Quote from GM Estild:

Are you saying that the +100 wizard guild workshop bonus is incorrect?

While I didn't test 'public workshops', this is the value I was able to confirm for the wizard guild workshop on multiple tests well.

I assume you're both comparing the difference from a non-node to a guild workshop. If you compare the number to a node vs. a guild workshop, you should be able to get the determine the actual number. This is really getting into semantics, but being on a node doesn't provide a bonus, instead it actually prevents a penalty (for not being on a node). Not a huge issue, but if you do incorporate the non-penalty into the guild workshop bonus, it also needs to be incorporated into the public and private workshop bonuses. But when I said the private workshop bonus is twice as effective as the public workshop bonus, I was not including the negation of the non-node penalty.

So the likely numbers are likely as PeregrineFalcon suggested in a subsequent post:

Not on a node: -40 Earthnode: 0 Public Workshop: 40 Wizard Guild Workshop: 60 Private Workshop: 80

Familiar present: +20

Evarin
Wednesday, January 3rd, 2018, 6:30:47 AM

Q&A from GM Estild:

I know that when it comes to enchanting, you'd get a better boost from a workshop that is a node.

This is not true. If a wizard is trying to enchant in a workshop, it doesn't matter if it is a node or not.

Will a sorcerer get a better benefit to ensorcell in the earth-node public workshop than in our non-node guild workshop?

Ensorcell doesn't care about nodes and all workshops are considered equal for it.

And, my mind wonders if the workshop being a non-node has any impact on magical item creation (420)?

Magical Item Creation (420) doesn't care about nodes either.

Lastly, can the magical workshops in the sorcerer's guilds be made earth nodes in order to prevent non-node penalties and the provide bonuses, if any, to our guild workshops to the performance of wizard guild workshops.

It's possible, but as noted, it's a non-factor for sorcerer spells.

GameMaster Estild

Evarin
Monday, January 8th, 2018, 6:54:17 AM

Quote from GM Kynlee:

Request to please add some amount of W/P/S services to the monthly contest prize options

Ok, this has been approved, and has been added to PREMIUM 7:

1. 100,000 silvers worth of weighting, padding, or sighting. The 100,000 silvers may be used toward a discount of one, and only one, partial service.

What does this mean? Here are some examples (costs are purely for this example):

If you have a plain 4x broadsword with that has not been serviced within the current 60 day service window, it may cost 77k for 3 services, or 154k for 4 services. You can either take 3 services at no cost, or take 4 services and pay 54k to make up the difference. 4 services would be the maximum on this item from a win. You cannot have a 5th service.

If you have a 10x broadsword, the cost for a single service might be 318k. You could either decline to use the win on that item or make up the difference of 218k for a single service. This one service would be the only service you would receive.

This message was originally posted in Four Winds Hall/Premium, Contests. To discuss the above, follow the link below.

http://forums.play.net/forums/19/221/2438/view/1167

Evarin
Friday, January 12th, 2018, 12:12:26 PM

Quote from GM Estild regarding Spirit Guide (130)

In reviewing this, I discovered a bug where the Spirit Mana Control benefit was not being applied. It should now be fixed. Such training can have a dramatic effect upon the severity of the nausea.

GameMaster Estild

Evarin
Saturday, January 13th, 2018, 8:52:55 AM

Quote from GM Contemplar:

Can a NIR confirm that recipes such as this can actually be found via research in the library? Every time I try doing research I seem to get the same tired recipes over and over...

-- Robert

Yes there are a formulas that uses bezoars. I do not see any reason why they couldn't be learned through the library.

BRANDTJRT has provided a clue to what they may be used for. (His post here: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Magic%20Spells%60Systems/Alchemy%20Discussions/view/966)

One thing to note, is that the color of the bezoar is what is important and not the creature it comes from.

~Contemplar~

Evarin
Friday, February 2nd, 2018, 9:48:21 PM

Quote from GM Haliste:

I just applied a change to this script so that when a gem with "uncut" as the adjective is used in the box, the adjective for the box-style will replace the "uncut" adjective on the gem. This is the only time the style will replace the adjective. All other "cut" gems will have the style applied to the article of the gem.

~ Haliste ~ SGM, Events Auntie H, Forever

Omrii: Okay, thanks Haliste. You're way better than Wyrom.