Hand of the Arkati causes massive lag on Wednesday Nights

• That was a fun night…

Hand of the Arkati farms Reim every Wednesday night. “Farming” Reim means that unlike a normal Reim progression, we’re just hanging out in the plaza for 2 hours from 8:30 to 10:30 PM. Being in the first area allows people the ability to invest in simucoin Reim entries, and re-orb their progress. If you burn a simucoin entry while in the midst of a run, it will reset your scrip progress. On a typical farming night, most individuals can reorb up to 10 times, for 10k scrip. Since many of us are going for Ethereal armor, Adding ethereal armor on armor and fully unlocking it requires 2,280,000 scrip. Doing this once a week boosts weekly gains from 7k scrip up to 18k scrip. Meaning we can complete in 2.4 years instead of 6.2 years.

There are proportionate spawns to the participants in Reim. Having more people means more per wave, means more script per wave, means faster scrip gain per person, means more silvers (but more splits… kind of nets out). We are not spam-attacking. With >25 people, each person can usually only attack once per wave for the tag, credit, etc. We really just want scrip as fast as possible. The timetables are intense, and we want our shiney armor! People come and go, burn their Long Term boosts, their instant absorbers, refill favor, gather their necro energy, etc. It’s our little service night… except… in Reim, killing creatures.

It’s worth pointing out that our recent Wednesday farming nights are far from the maximum quantity of people we’ve had in Reim with us. We’ve reached up to 32 people running Reim, without falter, without lag. I have detailed information about how many people have run any event with HoA since our first run on 7/19/2016, and over 280 events since then. We have been running Wednesday farm nights officially on the calendar since 5/20/2017. It’s a great display that combat, and the systems that use to support Gemstone are becoming more complex as times go on. While it’s obvious when we see lag with >700 people when we used to see lag with only >2500 people, it’s because every attack is now not just evaluating a weapon for enchant, weighting, flares, but also now confirming your enhanced stat, looking for a variety of script flares, evaluating ensorcelling potential, potentially checking both weightings, etc, etc. Everything across Gemstone has gotten infinitely more complex since yesteryears. Complex for the better. But realistically, outside of early Dreavenings, there really wasn’t an organization such as this to really stress the servers. So, every <.1% processing speed loss over the last 20 years may have added up! All that said, I admit this is mostly speculation on anecdotal observation.

We are doing our best to attempt the various built-in mechanisms for lag reduction. Wyrom stated in Discord that the lag was predominantly generated by third-party messaging. That doesn’t mean Lich, that’s more about Whirlin casts 518, and then the other 27 people get a bunch of scroll with his 99999 AS attacks against 52 different critters. That transmission to the 27 other people was more strain than the calculation/execution of the attack. To help remediate this, we tested out the combatbrief flag yesterday, and observed a decrease in the quantity of XML that was being transmitted to our clients. That being said, the xml packets still contained critical flavor text, which while was not prompted on the UI, was incredibly prevalent in the logs being sent by the simu Servers. Unfortunately, combatbrief alone (for at least a dozen of the 28 people) was insufficient to curb the lag. We discussed Lost Ranger’s ;briefcombat script, but it’s really a post-transmission filtering process, and would not reduce the Simu Server load.

Changing the date does not address any of these underlying concerns. There is a structural concern with how groups of this size are managed. We are looking to further expand the HoA roster, and Wyrom has stated that end-game content is on the horizon, probably even before Savants (yes, that was a joke). Changing the date isn’t kicking the can down the road, it’s moving a mattress from the middle lane of the highway to a different lane of the highway rather than having it removed. It’s still going to cause an issue until the mattress is removed. While also impacting every single one of our members and guests that have scheduled Wednesday nights with us to gather their Favor, their Necro-Energy, burn their Long Term boosts, their Instant-clearers, their Reim Orbs. We have a roster of 78 with probably about 2 dozen rotating guests to consider. We are willing to work with the GMs on stop gaps, and sit down with further discussions about things we’d like to see from capped hunting, etc… but swapping the dates does not address anything that caused it to be a problem in the first place.

Don’t misunderstand, we want this lag gone too. I know of at least 3 people that would join our ranks if our events were more feasible to execute. But with the lag introduced, they were having more difficulty hitting the rares, and progressing through Reim, and they didn’t feel welcome because of their 286 computer with their 14.4 modem not being able to keep up.

Wyrom stepped in last night on Discord and said that he will be making it a priority to speak with Rester and some on-site people regarding options. We welcome anything short term such as capping out spawns in Reim based on X people, but would request script per kill increased proportionately as to not directly/exclusively nerf us. This is likely easier/faster to do than an overhaul of the combatbrief command. And once that overhaul does go live, I will work with our members to ensure that they are running the commands to reduce system utilization and streamline the game for all players. We just need time to get there.

• Alternatively, with all the simucoin sales they could invest money and time into not making the core of the game shit?

• TownCrier

Being as how (and yes, I realize use of that phrase earns me a minimum of three ‘douche’ points) White Haven’s service night seems to line up directly with HoA farming night, I’m glad to see that there’s some thought being put into alleviating the lag issues.

That said, I definitely understand that it’s a mattress in the highway situation. While I PERSONALLY would prefer that it not be Wednesday nights, I understand that it has to be sometime, and if it were to be rescheduled it’d just be inconveniencing someone else.

Toes crossed that Wyrom and company can come up with some sort of alternative. Maybe when you enter Reim you get ported into Shattered or something.

• I have been corrected.
    Briefcombat is Daedeeus
    Spellmerge is Lost Rangers!

• The Obsidian Tower

Could changing equipment, or specific spell usage help minimize lag in the short term? I imagine only a GM could answer this question, but if specific items/spells are causing problems, perhaps alternatives could be used until the issue is more properly addressed.

Gemstone is supposed to be a multiplayer game. Group hunting is a core mechanic. This type of activity should be a priority for DEV (not that i’m stating it isn’t). I’d want the issue addressed as much as possible from that aspect before any dissolving of large-scale group hunting.

• Tart Lovers Anonymous

Would splitting the group into 2 or 3 (depending on the size) help the lag problem?

• Hand of the Arkati

You said a lot of awesome things…but also made me realize just how long it’s going to take to obtain legit Reim armour. Omg, fucking woe.

With all the lag last night, I couldn’t reorb more than 5 times!

Using the following configuration did help me in the end: brief combat flag on, ;briefcombat, ;spellmerge, ALT+L. I was getting TWO whole casts of 908 off per wave. Whoa.

• @Sabotage

Apparently @Whirlin forgot to post some of his responses from the officials, but he addressed that issue there. I’ll cross-post here:
    It defeats the purpose, as outlined above. More people, more tags per time, more rewards, more XP, more fame, more favor, more everything. Breaking the group into smaller groups not only fragments our participation, could causes clicks for people that want to be in close proximity to other members, forks any pre-made reorbing scripts already set to return to the plaza (off the beaten path, per request by Retser), introduces an additional unsafe rooms in the Reim area for soloers, etc. It’s overall a lose-lose-lose, it defeats the purpose of a single, cohesive MHO, it reduces individual benefits, and potentially introduces more drama. Additionally, it does not address any underlying system concern that are causing the problems in the first place.

• @horibu said in Hand of the Arkati causes massive lag on Wednesday Nights:

Additionally, it does not address any underlying system concern that are causing the problems in the first place.

no it doesn’t, but with the current state of things, it is the considerate thing to do.

• I’ve lived through trying to change a 25 man raid into 2 10 man raids in the WOW days. I will not do that to an MHO and the drama that ensues.

• @whirlin said in Hand of the Arkati causes massive lag on Wednesday Nights:

I’ve lived through trying to change a 25 man raid into 2 10 man raids in the WOW days. I will not do that to an MHO and the drama that ensues.

so 30 people want to hunt together, but 150 want to do guild night, why does your group get to ruin the time for the majority?

• I’m torn because its going to suck shit dealing with this until Simutronics fixes its shit. And if we do anything to NOT cause it to happen they wont ever change it because "oh hey it fixed itself and we didnt have to spend any money!"
    The same exact reason we now have two shit forums and a discord channel or two and a terrible official forums.

• We need to call for a disabling of 709 globally due to the lag it imposes from additional creatures/ambients/etc

• The Obsidian Tower

Hyperbole aside, is it 709 that is causing a lot of the issues?

• @evarin said in Hand of the Arkati causes massive lag on Wednesday Nights:

Hyperbole aside, is it 709 that is causing a lot of the issues?

We have crashed Reim due to 709. The first time creatures got lumped into a “And many other things” messaging, because we had 3 sorcerers all using 709, caused a wrapping effect, etc. This was why invasions got disabled.

Wrapping effect… You know when there are a shit ton of objects in a room, and you look, and you see “And many other objects”… that’s what I meant.

Given that messaging/etc is a concern and lag inducer, arms have their own periodic ambients/attacks/etc that each need to be pushed, as well as decaying, and not a single one per user. Given that ambients do have the ability to cause lag, these are absolutely hurting more than a 512/518/912/410/1030/635/1630/135 tag

• There should flat out be some sort of squelching mechanic built into the game as we get this issue in more than just Reim. We see it at raffles, big storylines, invasions, slightly at dreavenings, and now of course large hunting parties within Reim. If PCs in room > value, implement server side condensing/squelching.

We’re not going to split our nightly group hunts up, as that hurts our gains within Reim for reasons mentioned above. Is it selfish, yes, but we pay just as much as everyone else to play the game. Everyone should be able to play the game how they want within the rules/guidelines Simu lays out before us. Does this cause issue for others, yes. But so does everyone going to a dreavening, logging in their alts for raffles, running MA groups in hunting grounds. Should we tell them all to stop as well until Simu beefs up the server or does a better client/server messaging system, definitely not. We just adapt our play style to accommodate. We could move “Farm” night to another night but we’d still gather at 8:30pm to do a Reim run on Wednesday regardless for a regular run then. Unless someone can make Simu just give us flat out silvers/script/fame/exp for not running on Guild night, which you’d have a better chance of getting Savants implemented instead.

• If the user numbers are going up these problems are going to happen more and more as the game caters to power gamers and mechanics min/maxing. If they can’t handle the game its not unreasonable to expect them to change it to accommodate it, otherwise they’ll lose any gains they got.

• Hand of the Arkati

@allereli Soo… we should sit on our asses because we’ve achieved our cap status and still want to do something fun with others our age while you do your guild night? Got it. LMAO.

• @siierra said in Hand of the Arkati causes massive lag on Wednesday Nights:

@allereli Soo… we should sit on our asses because we’ve achieved our cap status and still want to do something fun with others our age while you do your guild night? Got it. LMAO.

or you can go split up the group and go on different nights. the problem is the amount of you doing what you’re doing in one room. Congrats, you’ve hijacked the game for your MHO.

• Not really… these are PUBLIC, calendared events, with a defined location to meet. It’s the equivalent of telling White Haven to spell up their people in two different locations on their service night.

Not really… these are PUBLIC, calendared events, with a defined location to meet. It’s the equivalent of telling White Haven to spell up their people in two different locations on their service night.

no, it’s not. White Haven’s group and event is not being identified as the cause of any lag.

• Not to mention, we’ve already had multiple meetings with Retser/Wyrom because our group’s physical location needs to be concretely established, to reduce the potential of incidental death, which has occurred lots.

Not to mention, we’ve already had multiple meetings with Retser/Wyrom because our group’s physical location needs to be concretely established, to reduce the potential of incidental death, which has occurred lots.

so you’ve already been disruptive to the people who don’t want to join your group but still do Reim.

• @allereli said in Hand of the Arkati causes massive lag on Wednesday Nights:

@whirlin said in Hand of the Arkati causes massive lag on Wednesday Nights:

Not to mention, we’ve already had multiple meetings with Retser/Wyrom because our group’s physical location needs to be concretely established, to reduce the potential of incidental death, which has occurred lots.

so you’ve already been disruptive to the people who don’t want to join your group but still do Reim.

Yep, and we’ve worked with the GMs on it. We’re attacked as often as we attack. People coming in on us, us walking in on people, and some instancing anomalies in the throne room. We’ve established additional rules and guidance on timetables of farming and progression, announcing our events, etc, and run them publicly, welcoming all people. If people decide not to run with us, they can’t claim that they were not aware we were in there. We’ve worked with other groups and GMs on establishing where in each part of the castle we will be as to ensure that we’re not standing in a bottleneck location that people need to pass, and we’ve identified a few areas were more rooms off the beaten path would be ideal (road).

• Hand of the Arkati

We’re very responsive and inclusive. Making us out to be the bad guys because we’re a big, easy target and w’re playing the game in a way you don’t like isn’t going to fly.

• We’ve accommodated issues that have come forth from our normal Reim runs in such a fashion that it didn’t diminish our playing factor of how we do Reim. The request to split our group up would diminish our returns, therefore will not be done. We could move it to another night, but Wednesday would be turned into a normal run night then and would still cause lag, perhaps not as much, but still lag. Then the night we do move farming too would cause events normally planned those nights to have to reschedule. It’s a never ending loop of WTF until Simutronics can discuss and put in a fix.

• The Obsidian Tower

@allereli said in Hand of the Arkati causes massive lag on Wednesday Nights:

Congrats, you’ve hijacked the game for your MHO.

The fact that the responses from members of said MHO, with the exception of Whirlin and maybe Nuadjha, have been essentially “LOL, Too Bad, So Sad!!,” disinclines myself for one to want to do anything to accommodate them.

• Hand of the Arkati

I don’t think it would be unreasonable to ask everyone to do their part while this is being addressed. Anyone logged into the game from 8:30-10:30 on any night of the week should isolate themselves as much as possible, or pair off with someone at the very most. All ambient effects should be disabled and sneaking through rooms should be encouraged, if not required, to provide messaging to as few other players as possible. We’ll call it Couple’s Couple Hours.

• @avaia said in Hand of the Arkati causes massive lag on Wednesday Nights:

Congrats, you’ve hijacked the game for your MHO.

The fact that the responses from members of said MHO, with the exception of Whirlin and maybe Nuadjha, have been essentially “LOL, Too Bad, So Sad!!,” disinclines myself for one to want to do anything to accommodate them.

It’s more in regards to Allereli’s saltiness and not wanting to be redundant, than their overall true facts on the matter. I had discussions with them in our officer chat prior to posting my initial commentary, and we were speaking about it length during yesterday’s run when Wyrom was getting involved and having discussions on the other discord server.

• @briarfox said in Hand of the Arkati causes massive lag on Wednesday Nights:

We’re very responsive and inclusive. Making us out to be the bad guys because we’re a big, easy target and w’re playing the game in a way you don’t like isn’t going to fly.

just because you’re inclusive and not meaning to cause lag doesn’t mean that you don’t have a responsibility when you know you’re causing issues for the entire game to take action to make changes.

I don’t think 30+ people in a group of capped+ characters casting all the spells was intended design.

• Hand of the Arkati

@ragz said in Hand of the Arkati causes massive lag on Wednesday Nights:

I don’t think it would be unreasonable to ask everyone to do their part while this is being addressed. Anyone logged into the game from 8:30-10:30 on any night of the week should isolate themselves as much as possible, or pair off with someone at the very most. All ambient effects should be disabled and sneaking through rooms should be encouraged, if not required, to provide messaging to as few other players as possible. We’ll call it Couple’s Couple Hours.

Whirlin and Treeva claim the Reim general store, dibs.

• Hand of the Arkati

@avaia Absolutely NO ONE is too bad, so sading. We are lol’ing at the fact that it was said ‘‘we’’ should accommodate and give priority to the rest of the game. (As someone already pointed out.) We’ve been doing this EVERY night for over a year now. The lag issue is RECENT. It’s being looked into. So all this excessive bitching is not going to expedite the resolution. However, if that is what you
    people feel is necessary. Carry on.

• lol, at least Dreaven changed it up and made accommadations when he shit all over the game server. Not circled the wagons and got all high and mighty about it.
    "what you people"
    Get fucked.

• Hand of the Arkati

@briarfox said in Hand of the Arkati causes massive lag on Wednesday Nights:

just because you’re inclusive and not meaning to cause lag doesn’t mean that you don’t have a responsibility when you know you’re causing issues for the entire game to take action to make changes.

I don’t think 30+ people in a group of capped+ characters casting all the spells was intended design.

As we’ve explained, there are no real changes that would make a difference unless we wanted to stop hunting Reim, which of course we don’t.

• The Obsidian Tower

@siierra said in Hand of the Arkati causes massive lag on Wednesday Nights:

However, if that is what you people feel is necessary. Carry on.

“You people?” Yah, ok.

• @ordim said in Hand of the Arkati causes massive lag on Wednesday Nights:

lol, at least Dreaven changed it up and made accommadations when he shit all over the game server. Not circled the wagons and got all high and mighty about it.
    "what you people"
    Get fucked.

If we did something like divide up the group, swap days, etc… Every single person would be worse off, with less tags, less kills, less favor, less scrip, less everything to show from it. Dreavening is NOT a comparison, as at the end of the day, everyone who attends a dreavening still ends up with full spells/etc.

• Except, it is, Everyone would get spells faster if it was all in one big group and the people who could send mana to help the groups that didnt have the same amount of mana. That’s exactly what your argument is, time. It’s faster to blow through orbs in less time with a larger group, but at the end of X number of runs, you still have the same amount of ghost bucks. So its 100% fair comparison.

• Hand of the Arkati

@ordim No, the analogy breaks down because we’re time limited. We could indeed do the same number of orbs, but it would take us longer. We only farm for 2 hours.

• If there was a defined ‘end’ the same way there is with Dreavening.
    If I’m reorbing once per 8 minutes with 28 people versus once per 10 minutes with 20 people, the difference ends up 14 versus 11 reorbs (first one free). Your statement has an assumption of an artificial ceiling identified on the total quantity of runs per night, which is not an accurate assumption.

• You’ve chosen that self-regulation of 2 hours.

The end is when you’ve run out of orbs or reached your ghost bucks goals. As you explained, yeah a smaller group means you get X number of less orbs done, meaning it takes more TIME, as in another day of running, to reach your “end” of whatever it happens to be - Total number of orbs, specific ghost bucks amount, gambling for a specific item etc, pick any concept of an “end” you want.
    It cant be exp because you can only absorb so much for so long, even if you built up a reserve of LTEs its at the expense of not using them elsewear, same with instant absorbs and other methods. The treasure is trash and should hit a hard cap on how many people in a group actually scales the loot table anyway, and it can easily be pooled between groups and split evenly amongst everyone.
    It really just comes down to ghost bucks and how long it takes to accumulate them, which you are already self-regulating to 2 hours.
    How much are you impacting yourselves in the short term with generation? Its just as much in your own best interests as it is everyone else’s to remove the lag as quickly as possible.

• Not everyone re-orbs. Those that do not reorb have a 2 hour time limit.

• And they won’t be effected, just as they aren’t effected now. They can only ever cap at a certain amount of ghost bucks, if it takes them 5 minutes or it takes them a half hour, whats it matter if they stay the whole 2 hours?
    If I could cap people with ghost bucks with a 10+ level spread in groups of 5-8, you can do it with groups of 10+ at the same level.

• At least have the decency to not do it on Guild Night, ffs. I don’t care if it takes me an extra two minutes to fry. I do give care if my alt is only getting in half the reps they should during the only few hours per week it makes any sense at all to do reps.

• There’s some confusion… we’ve been running Daily Reim runs beyond this calendar year. Realistically, the last 12 months or so since introduction. We have an astronomical amount of documentation and details about each run!

Wednesdays are when the majority of people are available. This coincides with the most interest in farming style events. It was specifically chosen to help as many people’s schedules as possible, while providing them the most return and maximizing their enjoyment of the game during their availability. I don’t think that’s an unreasonable process to determine the date, or an unreasonable request to maximize my participants’ enjoyment. This has been officially established on the calendar since May 2017, and people have scheduled around it to ensure that they can participate.

Changing farming to progression will likely not have a substantial participation reduction on a night when the majority of people are available.
    it will likely just cause sufficient lag across two days, as the people whose timetables align with Wednesdays continue to participate, and those that are interested in farm nights come to another event.

No day that we select is ever going to be perfect. Given the timetables, mechanics, and implications of changing the night, the logistics, paired with the inability to ensure that it will alleviate the concerns with the lag/server stress etc, it’s not a worthwhile path to go down.

• White Haven

It occurs to me and I’m sure some of you that likely the best way to fix this issue is to let the client handle a lot of the information dissemination rather than sending third party messaging all in plain text server side as is done in Gemstone and many of the older text games. That’d require a new client and some back end code to shorten the data stream and instruct the client regarding output based on its stored data.

I mean, we know the most efficient solution. It’s been employed by MMOs for years, and been fine tuned for decades thanks largely to early failures and rubberbanding simulators like Star Wars Galaxies.

It also occurs to me that given the most efficient solution here, it draws parallels to these forums, the official forums, and the PC to start with. You’re all pointing fingers at each other saying that what the other is doing is ruining their experience. Knock it off.

Point your fingers in the correct direction, and don’t stop pointing them until the problem gets fixed. And in case you were still wondering, “at each other” is not the correct direction. You might take a look at the company who hasn’t released a client update since 1999.

• I’m all for addressing the actual problem, instead of bandaids thrown at it by HOA which negatively impact them. Wyrom said he and on-site people and Retser were going to look into it today, hopefully they can figure out a fix quickly. Whatever changes recently happened that started the lag (because we all can see the calendar, they’ve been doing this for ages and it’s only been a problem in the past few weeks) can maybe be tweaked.

Making this adversarial is ignoring that the problem isn’t HOA, it’s something recent and on the server-end. We can all get out our pitchforks and torches and slam them, but discouraging large group activities in the game isn’t really feasible and completely removing that aspect cuts out a chunk of the player base that loves big group events. I’m nowhere near capping, but I (like I’m sure many other GS players) have played other games and that comraderie that big end-game groups bring is something I miss, and something that has long been missing from Gemstone. I’m happy to see HOA filling that niche.

That said, if it doesn’t get fixed quickly, shifting it off of guild night (or perhaps petitioning for guild night to be moved) would be appreciated by many. Saying that moving it will piss off someone doesn’t really address that guild night is a BIG DEAL for a good number of players every week. That’s not the same as some random CHE/MHO event that occurs once or infrequently.

• I can’t believe I didn’t realize this… Next week starts Ebon Gate.

We NEVER see turnout during official events, we’ve needed to include disclosures that official events, such as EG, Duskruin, Invasions, etc, end up superseding our events. During Duskruin, we can’t even host events! Ebon Gate, being different in nature, I would still expect at most 80% attending during non-merchant week. Merchant week, we probably won’t be running at all. So, while Simu is working on it, it shouldn’t really be an issue during October. That being said, I understand they’re super busy, and we likely won’t see too much discretionary dev work during October either to fix it.

• That’ll match my equaled lack of discretionary spending on the game as well.

• TownCrier

@saltysenorita said in Hand of the Arkati causes massive lag on Wednesday Nights:

That’s not the same as some random CHE/MHO event that occurs once or infrequently.

White Haven’s Service Night happens every Wednesday night, for a long time now.

Is this a problem? Absolutely.
    Am I annoyed by it? 100%
    Do I blame Whirlin/HoA? Hell no.

This is a recent problem that’s cropped up. The GMs are working on it. Nobody should have to change their play style (so long as it’s within policy) to accommodate anyone else. Whether the GMs can fix it quickly? I dunno. There are a lot of issues behind the scenes, I’m sure. For now, it is what it is and I hope we see some sort of resolution soon (or EG is gonna SUCK during Reim farming times, considering the number of folks who will likely be logged on).

• @0zymandius said in Hand of the Arkati causes massive lag on Wednesday Nights:

Nobody should have to change their play style (so long as it’s within policy) to accommodate anyone else

Since they are running long-term scripts and creating heavy scroll during this time, it might be considered against policy since it is causing scroll that is interfering with other’s enjoyment. I don’t think HoA should be taken to task on Policy, but it is there.

http://www.play.net/gs4/simu_policy.asp

Scroll or carry out any action with a similar disruptive effect. “Scrolling” is defined as repeatedly causing the screen to roll faster than Users are able to type onto it.

See also: Scripting policy

https://gswiki.play.net/Policy#Scripting_Abuse

ANY activity that is deemed by Staff to be disruptive or not in the best interest of the game or its players can be warned when discovered.

Looks like your connection to Elanthian Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.