Aggregate chat clients

allereli
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 11:16:39 AM

The Slack integration in Trillian sort of sucks and AIM is shutting down so I might have to join Discord.

Does anyone have experience with Rambox and/or Franz? What is your preference?

Any other recommendations? especially one with an Android app since, ugh, neither Rambox nor Franz has an app

@ondreian Can the chat messaging from this site be integrated into one of those?

horibu
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 1:59:40 PM

Why not just use the official Slack application if wanting to use Slack? They have Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android and Windows Phone official app.

As for Discord, yes you totally should!

allereli
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 2:01:36 PM

@horibu said in Aggregate chat clients:

Why not just use the official Slack application if wanting to use Slack? They have Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android and Windows Phone official app.

As for Discord, yes you totally should!

because I want to log into one program and one program only to access everything that takes up as little system resources as possible

horibu
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 2:04:59 PM

Well then, could you mention all the various "everythings" you wish to use. That would probably help us so we don't recommend something you can't use.

IE. I use ICQ/Skype/Slack and would like to perhaps start using Discord, but it isn't a deal breaker. or I use Skype/Slack/AIM/Discord and must support all of them!

Yep... going with that. Also, who doesn't rock 16-32GB RAM, i7 quad core processors, mulitple SSD harddrives, etc.... and have more resources to know what to do with anyways :D

allereli
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 2:09:01 PM

Slack, Google hangouts, facebook, I'll probably have to join Discord to keep in touch with certain people.

bonus if there's a text messaging function. I love Mighty Text. I hardly ever have my phone out because of it.

I'll pay for something good.

Parkbandit
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 3:12:23 PM

I've been using Discord for quite some time now. It works well and they seem to be actively updating it.

horibu
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 3:14:13 PM

Their (Discord) biggest threat right now is Twitch rolling out basically exact same functionality into their desktop client. A lot of people may end up switching over due to integration with live streaming.

allereli
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 3:19:51 PM

@horibu said in Aggregate chat clients:

Their (Discord) biggest threat right now is Twitch rolling out basically exact same functionality into their desktop client. A lot of people may end up switching over due to integration with live streaming.

but what can I use to access all of them that works well?

Riend
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 4:00:25 PM

@allereli Wyrom was talking about Pidgin in another thread, and I've never used it before but I'm currently installing plugins to use Google Hangouts, Slack and Discord on top of the native option of AIM.

allereli
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 4:02:27 PM

@riend said in Aggregate chat clients:

@allereli Wyrom was talking about Pidgin in another thread, and I've never used it before but I'm currently installing plugins to use Google Hangouts, Slack and Discord on top of the native option of AIM.

yeah I've used it before, I wasn't a big fan, but it was years ago so it might be worth looking at again. I don't know what he was talking about re Trillian, it has settings to make it extremely minimalist.

Estild
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 4:03:12 PM

I had briefly looked at Franz when it was first being released, and also just glanced over Rambox. The thing to note about these is that they're just glorified web browsers (Electron apps) that have separate pages for each platform you connect. It's not much different than just using your own browser with a tab open for each platform. Due to that, I didn't see much benefit in them. They actually require more resources to run vs. just running them in your normal browser since running an Electron app is forcing your system to load up a duplicate browser rendering engine. That's not to say they're 100% the same, as Electron apps do allow for some different features (like Push To Talk with Discord, which you can't do from a webpage alone), but 99% of the time, I don't need those missing features from an actual web browser. I just access Slack and Discord from normal browser tabs.

Wyrom
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 4:48:02 PM

@allereli said in Aggregate chat clients:

yeah I've used it before, I wasn't a big fan, but it was years ago so it might be worth looking at again. I don't know what he was talking about re Trillian, it has settings to make it extremely minimalist.

Like you and Pidgin, I haven't tried Trillian in years. Prior, you couldn't remove all that much, and there were ads.

allereli
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 4:51:05 PM

@wyrom said in Aggregate chat clients:

Like you and Pidgin, I haven't tried Trillian in years. Prior, you couldn't remove all that much, and there were ads.

I've had a lifetime license for years, but I don't think I ever saw an ad before that other than for trillian

Wyrom
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 4:58:39 PM

I've had a lifetime license for years, but I don't think I ever saw an ad before that other than for trillian

Oh I never paid them anything. Pidgin is freeeeeee!

allereli
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 5:04:08 PM

you don't have to pay for Trillian, but I pay for things I get good use out of. I also pay for my movies and music.

Wyrom
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 5:10:04 PM

you don't have to pay for Trillian, but I pay for things I get good use out of. I also pay for my movies and music.

Well right, you mentioned a lifetime license for Trillian. I never purchased Pro, so I'm sure it's a better user experience. I never found Trillian good enough to do that. Been using Pidgin since 2005 or 2006.

But I don't download music or movies. I pay Google Music and SiriusXM a subscription though. Not sure what that comment was about.

allereli
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 5:12:49 PM

But I don’t download music or movies. I pay Google Music and SiriusXM a subscription though. Not sure what that comment was about.

General comment about paying for things.

Wyrom
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 5:17:58 PM

But I don’t download music or movies. I pay Google Music and SiriusXM a subscription though. Not sure what that comment was about.

General comment about paying for things.

Don't lump me into that dirty group of pirating! My comment on Pidgin being free is you can do everything without the need to buy in (and it's open source).

Riend
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 5:25:15 PM

But, if you're concerned about it, they do have a "donate" option both on their website and when you first download the software!

Wyrom
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 5:36:19 PM

Most of the plugins and addons have authors with donate options too.

Roblar
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 6:57:19 PM

Wyrom once roleplayed a pirate NPC.

True story.

Sabotage
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 7:29:20 PM

Yes, you should download discord. It is awesome, free, easy to use, and works extremely well

allereli
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 8:05:54 PM

@sabotage said in Aggregate chat clients:

Yes, you should download discord. It is awesome, free, easy to use, and works extremely well

i get it, but what works well with that and all my other chats?

Evarin
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 8:51:00 PM

Could someone set up Pidgin with all the appropriate plugins already installed and then allow people to download it from a link on the cloud?

Sabotage
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 10:45:45 PM

@allereli I thought you wanted something with an android app, discord has an awesome app that works extremely well and will sync up with the desktop version.

allereli
Friday, October 6th, 2017, 11:09:52 PM

@sabotage said in Aggregate chat clients:

@allereli I thought you wanted something with an android app, discord has an awesome app that works extremely well and will sync up with the desktop version.

I'm looking for an aggregate chat client that I can log into ONCE to use EVERYTHING.