Premium to Platinum point conversion, deadline 11/15

Hips
Tuesday, November 7th, 2017, 2:34:11 PM

The Premium to Platinum point conversion is LIVE! You MUST contact the email address below with the correct information by the deadline of 11/15 to convert your points.

You need to email GS4-Platinum@play.net and have the following information. Subject: [Your Account Name] Points Transfer Account Name: Points Amount: The deadline to email is by November 15th. No exceptions. If any information is incorrect or missing, you will be disqualified from this offer. I will get to these as soon as I can, but do not bump requests before November 15th.

Original post located here.

Doug
Tuesday, November 7th, 2017, 2:46:15 PM

Dammit! What about the other way?!?

Evarin
Tuesday, November 7th, 2017, 3:27:14 PM

@doug said in Premium to Platinum point conversion, deadline 11/15:

Dammit! What about the other way?!?

^

Kragdruk
Tuesday, November 7th, 2017, 3:30:49 PM

Plat to Premium would never happen imho

Doug
Tuesday, November 7th, 2017, 3:53:04 PM

@kragdruk I'll be interested in why you hold such an opinion. But fair warning - my opinion is if you can double down the points in one instance, you dern tootin' skippy (means 'damn well') should be allowed to do it the other way.

Kragdruk
Tuesday, November 7th, 2017, 4:00:59 PM

@doug do you also think that Simu should give you dollars for your Simucoins? Allowing conversion in one direction doesn't mean it makes sense in the other direction. Think about it from Simu's perspective and what behavior it makes sense for them to reward/incentivize.

Doug
Tuesday, November 7th, 2017, 4:04:46 PM

@kragdruk I did.

At least I thought I did. I'm not sure I'm bought into the Simucoin compare. But I did consider it this way - I could increase Platinum subscriptions by 10% alone (totally made up and fabricated, but I'll be the team could come up with that actual number) just by allowing it. Why? Because Premium is starved for this (just as Plat is, presumably). In truth, the only advantage in Plat's favor is - extra money? So why not send that both directions if it leads to revenue?

Explain more about your simucoin comparison though - that doesn't even register to me yet. I'm not talking about trading in points for dollars or subscription discounts (yet - put give me another 5 years of Platinum Point accrual, and I just might).

Kragdruk
Tuesday, November 7th, 2017, 4:25:04 PM

The Simucoin example was just a generalization of

you can double down the points in one instance, you dern tootin’ skippy (means ‘damn well’) should be allowed to do it the other way

to other conversions, using a somewhat extreme example including dollars to try to illustrate that Premium and Platinum points are completely separate currencies even though they both are called "points".

I could increase Platinum subscriptions by 10% alone (totally made up and fabricated, but I’ll be the team could come up with that actual number) just by allowing it

I actually don't think that's how this playerbase works. Now that they have offered Premium to Plat conversion, people are going to ask them about converting the other way. If I was Simu, I would say something like "Not now, but maybe we'll consider it in future" which is honest even if it is very unlikely they plan to ever offer it. Unless they outright confirm it will never happen, a non-trivial amount of people will speculatively upgrade to Platinum just in case it happens because double Premium Points for an extra $10 per month seems attractive. I suspect that some non-Plat players already have Plat subscriptions for this reason.

Riend
Tuesday, November 7th, 2017, 4:33:55 PM

I know it won't happen, but I'd love to see a platinum to prime point conversion. Sitting on like 18k of plat PP I will never use makes me sad.

Doug
Tuesday, November 7th, 2017, 4:37:16 PM

@kragdruk said in Premium to Platinum point conversion, deadline 11/15:

Premium and Platinum points are completely separate currencies even though they both are called “points”.

Oh, I hear ya - I'm not saying it 'must' but it certainly 'could', and there's reasons for perhaps.

I'm curious why there's some sense of 'justified' though - especially given the quote above. I agree that they are separate. That's how they were implemented. And like other players, I'm sitting on a store of Platinum points. Why this is the case is . . . a different matter. But if there's pools of them on both sides I still haven't seen a convincing argument that there should only be one way 'allowed'.

Kithus
Tuesday, November 7th, 2017, 8:14:48 PM

I think the major difference to consider is that Platinum players are FORCED to have a Premium subscription. Premium players are not FORCED to have Platinum.

Doug
Tuesday, November 7th, 2017, 9:51:19 PM

@kithus said in Premium to Platinum point conversion, deadline 11/15:

I think the major difference to consider is that Platinum players are FORCED to have a Premium subscription.

Actually a PERK with the account.

But - I'm not trying to tear down what has been granted. I just want it shared, dammit!

Losus
Wednesday, November 8th, 2017, 6:16:54 AM

If this was a thing to move plat points to premium I would probably push my sub level to platinum just for that. Juice would be worth the squeeze for both the Coin bump and the points. I'd stay on the prime server but would love that perk.

Mourne
Wednesday, November 8th, 2017, 7:43:04 PM

Years and years ago there was an announcement at Simucon (08 or 09, maybe?) that they were planning to pool the premium and platinum points together into one megapool. For years after, someone would ask about it and hear that it was still in the works. It kind of faded off without a solid "We are no longer planning to do this" proclamation, to my best knowledge (but I was out of the loop for a few years). So, being able to use accumulated plat points in prime was a goal at one point, at least. Still would really like to see that come to fruition.