Crit Padding on Robes

Noshuas
Monday, November 27th, 2017, 2:09:14 PM

Was hoping someone could give me some insight in to the value of crit padding on robes.

I don't even really know enough to know what I don't know, but I've read elsewhere that robes are significantly less valuable compared to even full leather because even with crit padding you end up with significantly higher wounds on robes more often because of the way the crit divisors work out. I've not trained my character to even use fulls, since I figured the difference was negligible and I used the points for more spells.

Bottom line up front, I found a set of 4x moderately padded robes in Duskruin a few months ago. They're ugly as sin, so I'm trying to decide if it's worthwhile to spend the money to have them altered, or if i'd be better off just aiming for padded leathers down the line. Likewise, I'd think as a caster you're probably better off aiming for damage padding rather than crit padding? Not sure if that's the case or not.

viekn
Monday, November 27th, 2017, 5:40:35 PM

Damage padding is for people who get hit regularly and need to reduce the damage when they get hit. Crit padding is for casters that plan on never getting hit, but when they do it’s usually in offensive stance and they’re likely to sustain a strong crit, thus having crit padding to reduce the crit level.

As far as robes vs leathers, everyone has their opinion, but from what I’ve seen, if you’re not going with double leathers or higher, the crit divisor isn’t a big difference between robes and light/full leathers. At that point it’s just finding something you like.

JNewhall
Monday, November 27th, 2017, 5:43:38 PM

I think crit padding is much better than damage padding for casters. My warrior might prefer damage padding in some instances because he's more likely to get plunked to death than get critted. My wizard in robes either never gets hit at all (as it should be) or he gets hit HARD and crit padding is a must.

If you want to sell I would just sell without an alter. If someone wants it for the stats they will no doubt alter it to their own tastes.

If you want to use them I would go ahead and alter to your tastes. My wizard uses robes and I love it. Mechanically it's always better to train up to the highest level with 0 hindrance, but I prefer robes just for style.