Official: The Future of Duskruin

Evarin
Saturday, January 6th, 2018, 4:27:03 PM

Quotes from GM Wyrom:

For 2018, we're going to be changing a few things on how we run Duskruin.

We have two varieties of Duskruin currently. The Duskruin Dig and the full event (Arena & Sewers). We generally run the full Duskruin twice a year. Moving forward, we're going to split Duskruin into 3 separate events. We are only going to run the full event once a year. We're going to run the Dig once a year. And we're going to run a newer event under the Duskruin banner. We're also going to pace these a bit better. We are aiming to do the Dig next, in February, move to having the full event in June, and the newer event in December.

We'll have more details on everything as we work through our event schedule for 2018, but I wanted everyone to have an idea of what's going on. On top of that, we are breaking away from the April and August runs of the full event so we can give a better variety of offerings.

Seems this is the new name of the game. I get that it's popular, but 3 times a year? Ugh.

We've been running it 2 to 5 times a year prior to this, which were 2 full event runs (some years it was 4 full event runs). This is actually dialing it down a bit.

Wyrom, PM

Vishra
Saturday, January 6th, 2018, 4:52:49 PM

Interesting. Dig time soon!

Evarin
Saturday, January 6th, 2018, 10:21:56 PM

Quote from GM Wyrom:

I've been given the green light to talk about some planning that is going into events, something I've been cutoff from starting back in 2014. We've also been given some freedoms to move the events around that work better for staff.

The pieces I've talked about (Dig, full event, and new event) are just what you guys have known of each event. Each will include much more than just that. Just two months ago, the Dig was demanded in December. We are letting you know that it is still coming. The Dig will not be the only thing available in February's run.

I think we have a proven track record with Duskruin by now that we've added much more content at each one. Those of you new to Duskruin, it might be overwhelming, but those of you who are veterans will have exciting things to look forward to.

Wyrom, PM

Vishra
Sunday, January 7th, 2018, 1:30:42 AM

That's great. He never disappoints.

beldannon5
Monday, January 8th, 2018, 7:35:53 PM

still think arena being moved to June is utter crap. But hey that's just me. :( And the only reason I asked for dig in December is I didn't want summit lol.

I think we have a proven track record with Duskruin by now that we’ve added much more content at each one.

yes that's true but we were told in no uncertain fact that there would be two arenas every year. . Okay back to your regularly scheduled programmin

Wyrom
Tuesday, January 9th, 2018, 1:49:39 PM

I'm not sure where the idea has come that Duskruin will run indefinitely.

Each year things have changed. As a recap, we ran Duskruin 5 times in 2015. While most remember 4 times, there was a very involved beta run that went on, that was basically the full event. In 2016, we ran it twice, but we also ran the Dig twice. In 2017, we ran it twice with no Dig, but 2017's runs did better than all of 2015 combined. Duskruin isn't flipping a switch and it runs. There is a lot of work that goes into these. Being able to prepare them needs more time than 4 months between two runs, something I've been talking about to my colleagues for over a year now.

Up until this year, we have been locked into a schedule due to events being tied to specific months. I was given approval to switch things around, and you better believe I took it. I think there are a lot of assumptions being made, which is why we struggle with announcing things early. We're giving people time to plan around our event months. If the concern with a lack of a full event is that bloodscrip can't be generated, I'll assure you here that you'll still be able to at each Duskruin event this year. We are trying to keep the experience fresh.

beldannon5
Tuesday, January 9th, 2018, 3:40:22 PM

Well you have said (i dont' really want to look it up) a number of times it woudl run twice a year (the arena) now it will be 10 months since the last arena run and the one in June, after saying it would run in April.

I don't think the bloodscrip is the issue. I think we all will most of us like the arena!!

Dig here we come.

Leafiara
Tuesday, January 9th, 2018, 4:11:08 PM

Well, speaking only for myself, I have two concerns.

My first concern isn't that bloodscrip can't be generated, as I don't know enough to say if that's the case. But what I'm more worried about is that it can't be spent, since the full run is where the shop inventories tend to step it up more, including the high end shop.

And my second actually is about freshness. The arena is what keeps the experience fresh for a lot of us, since every other pay event is either pure shopping (Summit Academy) or is just running a script to collect junk, then unloading that junk, then rinse and repeat. And yes, I understand that people script the arena too and that it's not a perfectly balanced way of generating bloodscrip (looking at you, sorcerers and empaths), but I don't script it and I know there are many others who don't--because unlike the dig, the sewers, Delirium Manor, etc., the arena actually is something that can be played manually and enjoyed if a person wants to.

horibu
Tuesday, January 9th, 2018, 4:52:41 PM

But fishing!

horibu
Tuesday, January 9th, 2018, 4:53:43 PM

Oh god... I'm going to eat that comment if the new thing at the Dig is fishing. Someone please hold the shotgun while I begin to insert foot to mouth.

beldannon5
Tuesday, January 9th, 2018, 8:36:09 PM

Fishing would rock at Dr ;)

Wyrom
Tuesday, January 9th, 2018, 10:33:03 PM

There will be a lot of fun to be had at Duskruin. If we didn't care about the experience, we'd just run the same thing every single time and not stress about the commitment to make new things.

I don't think I said Duskruin would run indefinitely 2 times a year, but in case I did, that was because that was what I was told. I also didn't think we'd get to change the schedule and untether the event from the month it ran. This is a good thing, because we can deliver a lot more now. We're still running Duskruin, because we know it's an enjoyed event. We also know many of you have invested into it. We're just giving the event some new life.

@Leafiara just so it's clear, the full event is not talking about shops. Bloodriven Village will be open at every event. As for your second concern, that's both great to hear how you feel about the arena and helpful to know what part worries you.

To give you a little bit of a sneak peek, each run (February, June, and December) will have more than just one activity. I'll post more on the official forums just so we keep information centralized.

@horibu It's not fishing.

Let me go into some story time real quick. I know some of my posts have been under the microscope and there are a few people challenging everything I say. Duskruin was birthed from GM Scrimge's idea of an event that was centered around arena fighting. I had just came off of watching Spartacus on Starz and was all about that Blood and Sand! I decided to take lead on the mechanics because I had a lot of success with the Necropolis. While not a dungeon crawl, the combat mechanics had a lot in common. GM Scrimge ended up leaving us for awhile during Duskruin's creation, so it became my project.

Duskruin originally had 3 parts. Bloodgames, Champions of the Arena, and the Sanguine Bazaar. Only the Bloodgames have really run (that's just the arena that you all do). The Sanguine Bazaar got cannibalized into the High-End Scrip Shop. The Champions of the Arena was retired due to the arena mechanics being revamped entirely. Yes, I laid out the groundwork for Duskruin. It's mostly my brain child, but I don't call the shots on how often we run events (that goes beyond Duskruin). I just made something that worked really well. There is a lot that I'd love to do. The Bank Heist is something I've talked about for a long time, and it's still slated to be released, but this is a perfect example of working on something I want to do versus working on something I'm told to do. Moonshard Warriors is another example where I had a creative difference, but ultimately that is what we ended up with. My plan was for something called Celestial Champions. At the end of the day, I do what I'm told to do though, even if I don't agree with it. The end result was still something I think you all enjoyed. GM Haliste and I came up with the moving parts, but the pendants weren't our original idea.

The original credits for Duskruin can be found here though:

The original design concept was created by GM Scrimge and arena/sewer mechanics were by GM Wyrom. GMs Haliste, Keios, Liia, Luneth, Scrimge, Reidyn, Valyrka, and Wyrom all created shops. GMs Haliste, Liia, Mazreth, Scrimge, and Wyrom all had a hand in painting the area. GMs Aulis, Haliste, Kaikala, Krellis, Sherlise, Spalt, and Vanah were huge helps with QC and testing, as well as various last minute needs to help get this out.

The event has grown quite a bit. I'm glad many enjoy it. It's nice to create something that both works for the players and the company. I wish it didn't come with such controversy. There is no hidden agenda. There is no double talk. No one is killing the event, if anything, the event is a complete manifestation of player requests. Events in GemStone have always offered these sort of things. I literally manage three decades of expectations in the three years I've been in this position.

Arshwikk
Tuesday, January 9th, 2018, 11:29:30 PM

"I know some of my posts have been under the microscope and there are a few people challenging everything I say." -Wyrom

Psht...no one even uses microscopes anymore, that's just silly. We have a the data being analyzed by a phone app that clearly points to a conspiracy! It had 4 stars so I know it works.

Wyrom
Tuesday, January 9th, 2018, 11:39:59 PM

Haha, just wait until the LiveLeak happens!

Sabotage
Wednesday, January 10th, 2018, 12:47:21 AM

@wyrom New DR runs announced alt text

beldannon5
Wednesday, January 10th, 2018, 12:57:06 AM

Well I can confirm you never said there would be fishing at DR. :)

But i can confirm you just said there wouldn't be :(

Looking forward to the February event even if we have to wait for 10 months for the real event.

I would probably just not say anything at all if you would release those fishing titles. I would go back in my little fishing spot and just fish.

Leafiara
Wednesday, January 10th, 2018, 2:09:02 AM

@Wyrom Thank you for the responses and clarifications! Good to hear and I am looking forward to whatever new activities there are.

Arshwikk
Thursday, January 11th, 2018, 11:06:22 AM

One of my main concerns is that the W/P/S Boogeyman will come and hack and slash down our chances/services. I've only managed to get those original services done at DR on my main project. I have entered several attempts (merchants etc) and only managed to make the EG one (which unfortunately fell in the same window so I had to do something else). Hopefully you maintain at least 2x a yr where we can go get 25 services done on 1 item using an automated system that doesn't limit the customers by spins.

Wyrom
Thursday, January 11th, 2018, 12:28:02 PM

The Smithy will be available at each run.

Arshwikk
Thursday, January 11th, 2018, 12:42:57 PM

Up to 25 services for an item?

Arshwikk
Thursday, January 11th, 2018, 12:54:26 PM

We have ways to make you talk. Waterboarding may be illegal, but no one said anything about tequila boarding! It's more expensive, but it's also a good way to multi-task. Any drink that hits the floor is just one for the homies.

Mogonis
Thursday, January 11th, 2018, 1:10:29 PM

Well, who in the game community is going to donate part of their liver when Wyrom needs it?

Wyrom
Thursday, January 11th, 2018, 1:48:36 PM

Heh. Yeah, I didn't see anything changing with it, but I'll confirm everything in an official post.

Riend
Friday, January 12th, 2018, 3:08:29 PM

@wyrom How will we obtain smithy invites if there's no arena component?

beldannon5
Friday, January 12th, 2018, 3:54:56 PM

Find it digging?

Riend
Friday, January 12th, 2018, 4:09:43 PM

@beldannon5 That would be painful, if my arena stats hold true.

Wyrom
Friday, January 12th, 2018, 8:00:40 PM

We'll have this in a more detailed post on the forums soon.

beldannon5
Friday, January 12th, 2018, 9:29:47 PM

Rsn?