Reactions

Sacru
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 3:43:59 PM

Can we add reactions to posts/replies? Seems like this would eliminate a lot of needless back & forth where the only real purpose is to communicate a positive, neutral, or negative reaction to a post? Said data could also offer a gateway to sorting threads or replies within those threads not only by views/responses, but also by number of reactions / upvotes.

Edit, for clarity: reactions in addition to the upvote caret. Emoticon-style.

Mogonis
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 3:47:52 PM

There's an up/down vote feature for individual posts, but I don't know if there's data or reporting on it.

Parkbandit
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 3:49:14 PM

I'm not sure we want to put too much into "grading" posts like that. I don't think it's fair to say give you a big smile reaction.. and someone who posts after you maybe just a small smile reaction.

We should all be treated as equals. Maybe every post you make, you automatically get a smile? I could get behind that effort.

Sacru
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:01:48 PM

@mogonis said in Reactions:

There's an up/down vote feature for individual posts, but I don't know if there's data or reporting on it.

Did not notice the downvote feature, and assumed it was left out for reasons of general positivity. In either case, picture this... troll thread begins... replies come in, food for the troll is offered, troll gets what they want... scenario two... troll rides in on horse, makes inflammatory post, gets 500 angry-face reactions and zero replies. Dopamine-rush deflected.

Just a thought.

Mogonis
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:02:06 PM

Haha, PB's profile pic looks like Kim Jong as the Hamburglar.

Parkbandit
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:11:23 PM

@mogonis Let's keep race out of this.

I used to have a nice avatar of a walking bandit on a white background.. but I couldn't find it anywhere. :(

Cervantes
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:22:01 PM

@parkbandit @Whirlin

Whirlin, please ban PB before this evolves into total trolling. It's happening already. It's starting to happen.

Taernath
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:22:48 PM

Upvotes/positive reactions would be fine. Something like 'informative', 'happy', etc. etc. I'd rather not see downvotes etc. because that leads to trolling.

Cervantes
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:26:15 PM

informative, happy are good. But would like to see subject matter for instance mechanics related could be a calculator 'reaction' or symbol.

Mogonis
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:29:30 PM

I dunno. This isn't Stack Overflow or something. Upvoting lets people know they're appreciated, but a system beyond that doesn't seem necessary for a forum like this.

SaltySenorita
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:30:21 PM

Isn't the little caret thing in the upper right of posts the upvote equivalent?

I like it because it simplifies the whole "me too" process without clogging up a thread.

Taernath
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:34:13 PM

@mogonis Yeah no doubt. Upvote only would be fine, I was just thinking that in terms of mechanics changes or announcements or something. Can we do polls here? I'll have to check.

Sacru
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:35:44 PM

@mogonis said in Reactions:

I dunno. This isn't Stack Overflow or something. Upvoting lets people know they're appreciated, but a system beyond that doesn't seem necessary for a forum like this.

Yeah, the Stack system would work really well for Q&A, but not so much for discussion. A Q&A section following Stack-like mechanics (FOR mechanics questions??) would be pretty awesome, and would allow the real goods to float right to the top. Just like Stack.

Agree that downvoting could lead to unnecessary negativity. But also that reactions in general (even a calculator 'reaction' as suggested by @Cervantes would be cool) would be pretty awesome, so long as the total number of potential reactions is limited to 5-7.

This could add a valuable dimension to both UX, and available data, and there's no such thing as too much data.

peam
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:35:57 PM

The ^ system is perfect.

Evarin
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:37:23 PM

@peam said in Reactions:

The ^ system is perfect.

Agreed.

Sacru
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:37:37 PM

@saltysenorita said in Reactions:

Isn't the little caret thing in the upper right of posts the upvote equivalent?

I like it because it simplifies the whole "me too" process without clogging up a thread.

Yes, upvotes have always been here and I've been using them. Should've clarified, something in addition to the upvote caret.

Cervantes
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:40:25 PM

^ also agree with above proposal.

allereli
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:43:56 PM

I like the emoticons on Slack so +1

Parkbandit
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:44:13 PM

@taernath said in Reactions:

Upvotes/positive reactions would be fine. Something like 'informative', 'happy', etc. etc. I'd rather not see downvotes etc. because that leads to trolling.

I'm confused. I don't think I've made a single post that violates any TOS on this forum.

If time4fun can give me the a clean slate, why can't you?

Taernath
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:46:24 PM

@parkbandit said in Reactions:

I'm confused. I don't think I've made a single post that violates any TOS on this forum.

I did! The kinder, gentler Parkbandit is a welcome sight.

Parkbandit
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:47:55 PM

I did! The kinder, gentler Parkbandit is a welcome sight.

:)

Parkbandit
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:48:21 PM

We do need emotes added... so when I make :) it actually is a yellow smiley face.

peam
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:50:13 PM

alt text

Cervantes
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:53:50 PM

@parkbandit

Fella, seriously. I never posted on the GSplayers website but your posts were one of the reasons I never bothered. You need to stop trying to troll. Please! I love how we're getting a direct real time two way communication with the devs here.

Just stop. I'm begging you! You don't even play anymore!

peam
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:55:25 PM

@cervantes said in Reactions:

@parkbandit

Fella, seriously. I never posted on the GSplayers website but your posts were one of the reasons I never bothered. You need to stop trying to troll. Please! I love how we're getting a direct real time two way communication with the devs here. Just stop. You don't even play anymore!

If he's trolling, you're falling for it.

I'm sure he's here to do his sickly sweet schtick for a while and then move on, and that's fine. If I'm wrong, that's fine too. It's not my concern, and there are measures in place to prevent any blatant jackassery.

Cervantes
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 4:57:54 PM

@peam

I know and I'm an idiot for even responding to it. I just want a clean place where we can have dialogue with the GMs about the game we all love. I don't want this place to become a trash yard like the GSplayers website.

I hope the Mods here are brutal.

Taernath
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 5:06:35 PM

You guys complaining about his posting is way more disruptive than his posting. Just saying.

HJFudge
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 5:12:52 PM

One of the issues with Gemstone in general is that everyone has such long memories. And once you get a reputation, deserved or not, its very hard to shake it. True in life too :)

Mogonis
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 5:19:28 PM

You guys complaining about his posting is way more disruptive than his posting. Just saying.

What complaining?

Parkbandit
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 5:29:37 PM

@parkbandit

Fella, seriously. I never posted on the GSplayers website but your posts were one of the reasons I never bothered. You need to stop trying to troll. Please! I love how we're getting a direct real time two way communication with the devs here.

Just stop. I'm begging you! You don't even play anymore!

1) Please abide by the TOS like I have sworn to do. There's no need to be all judgmental towards other people, especially since I have been nothing but respectful and kind since I arrived. 2) Calling someone a troll when they are doing nothing is hurtful. Please stop. 3) I do play GS and have been for quite some time. Don't just assume.. because you know what that means. 4) I'm going to upvote you in the hopes that that little reward will help you get over all your preconceived notions towards me.. given you never posted on the other website.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Parkbandit
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 5:31:08 PM

@peam said in Reactions:

@parkbandit

Fella, seriously. I never posted on the GSplayers website but your posts were one of the reasons I never bothered. You need to stop trying to troll. Please! I love how we're getting a direct real time two way communication with the devs here. Just stop. You don't even play anymore!

If he's trolling, you're falling for it.

I'm sure he's here to do his sickly sweet schtick for a while and then move on, and that's fine. If I'm wrong, that's fine too. It's not my concern, and there are measures in place to prevent any blatant jackassery.

"I'm sure"?

Trust me, I'm here for as long as these great moderators will have me... which will be as long as I comply with their TOS.. which I have no plans to break.

Thank you.

peam
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 5:32:02 PM

@parkbandit k

Parkbandit
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 5:33:20 PM

@peam

I know and I'm an idiot for even responding to it. I just want a clean place where we can have dialogue with the GMs about the game we all love. I don't want this place to become a trash yard like the GSplayers website.

I hope the Mods here are brutal.

II also hope the Mods here are absolutely brutal and will stamp out ANY negativity on these message boards. We have many issues to discuss and people being negative and rude just isn't what these forums were formed for.

Thank you. :)

Parkbandit
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 5:34:56 PM

Well said taernath.

Let's just all be friendly towards one another and get over anything that has happened on any other websites.

Holding onto grudges can be harmful towards your health.

Parkbandit
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 5:36:08 PM

@hjfudge said in Reactions:

One of the issues with Gemstone in general is that everyone has such long memories. And once you get a reputation, deserved or not, its very hard to shake it. True in life too :)

Tell me about it! My main character I used to play, Falgrin, was a mean thief that stole from people. People wrongly assume that I'm a mean person and steal from people.. which is not true.

Kalros
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 11:38:10 PM

LOL. How many people did you single handily drive away from PC forums? You personally neg repped me about 100k in the last couple months and I've maybe logged on once.

Go back to your hole.

Sabotage
Wednesday, August 9th, 2017, 11:49:00 PM

@parkbandit @Whirlin

Whirlin, please ban PB before this evolves into total trolling. It's happening already. It's starting to happen.

alt text

idlewanderlust
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 2:21:41 AM

Where's the downvote?

Sabotage
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 2:44:03 AM

@idlewanderlust There isn't one. You can only flag for moderation.

Parkbandit
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 7:55:03 AM

@kalros said in Reactions:

LOL. How many people did you single handily drive away from PC forums? You personally neg repped me about 100k in the last couple months and I've maybe logged on once.

Go back to your hole.

I just checked my records and I haven't given anyone named "Kalros" any negative rep ever on that other website.

Please keep in mind, this is a new forum.. a fresh start for all people. Don't bring up things from that other website here and spread your negativity. THIS place isn't like THAT place.

Here we have a structured TOS, strong moderators and administrators here.

I'm willing to give you a fresh start, I hope you can manage the same.

Thank you!

Ososis
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 8:10:05 AM

As most people know, PB is truly my favorite on the PC so it should be no surprise as I rush to defend him. Many on the PC are screaming about the "over moderated, oppressive safe space forums" before anything has actually happened to back that up. If that turns out to be the case, great, it will be dealt with when it's a problem. I think that same courtesy should be extended to PB.
If we want to get really technical, more people have violated the TOS is commenting on PB than PB has broke the TOS.

I would be lying if I didn't say I was highly suspect of the 180 PB has done between forums, but if this forum is going to last it should be able to handle problems when they become a problem and not before.

0zymandius
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 8:15:00 AM

If PB is willing to clean up and play nice here, fine. If he turns from that, deal with it. I'm perfectly happy to have him as an active member here as long as he's playing nice. I don't really care if it's an act or not... what's the worst that could happen? He'll steal secret information somehow and crosspost it to the PC? He'll go on a tirade here and get banned? I'm not overly concerned, personally. Much like everyone else here, I think so long as they're not being trouble, they're welcome. If they start to cause problems, we call the bouncers.

Ososis
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 8:20:53 AM

@0zymandius said in Reactions:

If PB is willing to clean up and play nice here, fine. If he turns from that, deal with it. I'm perfectly happy to have him as an active member here as long as he's playing nice. I don't really care if it's an act or not... what's the worst that could happen? He'll steal secret information somehow and crosspost it to the PC? He'll go on a tirade here and get banned? I'm not overly concerned, personally. Much like everyone else here, I think so long as they're not being trouble, they're welcome. If they start to cause problems, we call the bouncers. alt text

jayte
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 8:28:44 AM

why would you want this

i'll use that stupid :O face from facebook for every post

:O

Ososis
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 8:40:46 AM

Aaaaaand he immediately goes and neg reps me on the other forums. Best of luck guy.

Parkbandit
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 8:42:54 AM

@ososis said in Reactions:

As most people know, PB is truly my favorite on the PC so it should be no surprise as I rush to defend him. Many on the PC are screaming about the "over moderated, oppressive safe space forums" before anything has actually happened to back that up. If that turns out to be the case, great, it will be dealt with when it's a problem. I think that same courtesy should be extended to PB.
If we want to get really technical, more people have violated the TOS is commenting on PB than PB has broke the TOS.

I would be lying if I didn't say I was highly suspect of the 180 PB has done between forums, but if this forum is going to last it should be able to handle problems when they become a problem and not before.

You are highly suspicious of a bandit? YOU SHOULD BE!

Thank you for your kind words Ososis. I won't let you down!

Ososis
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 8:43:41 AM

Nevermind. How do I block people?

0zymandius
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 8:44:13 AM

I think I saw that was a feature upcoming this weekend.

Parkbandit
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 8:45:04 AM

@0zymandius said in Reactions:

If PB is willing to clean up and play nice here, fine. If he turns from that, deal with it. I'm perfectly happy to have him as an active member here as long as he's playing nice. I don't really care if it's an act or not... what's the worst that could happen? He'll steal secret information somehow and crosspost it to the PC? He'll go on a tirade here and get banned? I'm not overly concerned, personally. Much like everyone else here, I think so long as they're not being trouble, they're welcome. If they start to cause problems, we call the bouncers.

If we could introduce emotes here, I would give you a big thumbs up for this post.

This will have to do for now:

0<em>1502369098947</em>00e54d3a-de0f-425b-ba3a-3b32eda18315-image.png

Parkbandit
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 8:46:01 AM

BUT I GAVE YOU AN UPVOTE! That's a positive reinforcement!

Evarin
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 8:46:38 AM

You cannot block people yet. The feature is supposed to be here in a future update.

Ososis
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 8:49:39 AM

@evarin said in Reactions:

You cannot block people yet. The feature is supposed to be here in a future update.

Looking forward to it. Thanks everyone for the info.

peam
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 8:54:43 AM

You're leaking.

Parkbandit
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 9:39:17 AM

@peam said in Reactions:

You're leaking.

?

Kalros
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 5:42:56 PM

I'm just going to flag his posts for pointless trolling. It's obvious that's what they are.

Parkbandit
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 6:41:04 PM

I'm just going to flag his posts for pointless trolling. It's obvious that's what they are.

I do hope you are not referring to my posts. I've done nothing at all on this forum to warrant this type of harassment. I don't even know who you are!

This weekend (hopefully) they will have ignore poster enabled and you can just ignore me, though I'm not sure why.

Thank you!

peam
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 6:46:22 PM

You can just go to his profile (gross, I know) and ignore him.

Parkbandit
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 6:49:12 PM

@peam said in Reactions:

You can just go to his profile (EDITED OUT FOR TOS REASONS) and ignore him.

I had no idea that was already implemented! Thank you for the tip Peam!

WRoss
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 7:41:04 PM

Hi. Bye.

GSPlayer
Thursday, August 10th, 2017, 7:54:19 PM

@0zymandius

I think I saw that was a feature upcoming this weekend.

Click the person's profile. Just below the main info on the right you will see Profile and More. Click More and the last two options are ignore user and ignore user chat.